Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

AT-X Tokina 60-120 f2,8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: AT-X Tokina 60-120 f2,8 Reply with quote

Two days ago I got this lens with Olympus mount. Very nice lens for use on Eos 5mII. Very good sharpness wide open and nice bokeh and colors for zoom lens. Only weakness is that on 120mm and minimum focus distance (1,2m) is a bit soft. Built quality is outstanding. Few shots with this lens. First one is f4, all others f2,8.

Last edited by dfujevec on Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tokina AT-X lenses with 2.8 aperture are all nice lenses, i can recommend 35-70mm/2.8 one

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb samples Gujo! I bet you will use this lens a lot for street.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice shots, bokeh is excellent to my eyes. Tokina AT-X 2.8 zooms were designed to compete with pro series lenses from Nikon and Canon that also had 2.8 constant apertures so they should be good.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great samples, the lens looks to perform very well on your 5D II Smile The first shot in particular has plenty of pop!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very interesting focal length range with that constant f/2.8!

Very nice samples!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this lens too - and an old test from german "fotomagazin" where they said that this lens could compete with the best primes.

Only drawback is distortion on both ends - while around 80mm there is Zero distortion.

They printed there measured lines for sharpness and contrast and both were at a very high level.

I had the Tok AT-X 2.8/80-200. A very good zoom too - but not that good!

The 80-200 has best optical quality around 135mm and not really reaching 200 mm (but hardly 190 mm). Optical performance is good but not in the extreme corners were it falls off quite heavily. I had 2 copies of this (manual) lens ad both performed equally.
The AF-versions were different (there are different versions, the latest is optically the best - even reaching the performance of the Canon L 4/70-200!).

The 60-120 is better:
No fall-off to the corners!
At 2.8 much better than the 80-200!
Not that big and heavy - a really bearable 2.8-zoom-lens!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I revive this old thread because a Tokina AT-X 2.8/60-120 has just arrived at my place.
There will be some demanding testing and some severe challenges for this lens soon, when I mount it to the Nikon D7000 and Nikon Df. Wink

What I can already say is that it is rock solid, just like known from Tokina AT-X lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you check if the lens is parafocal?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

araucaria wrote:

Not that easy to see (it's a one-ring zoom so you easily turn it out of focus) but I guess it is parfocal.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
araucaria wrote:

Not that easy to see (it's a one-ring zoom so you easily turn it out of focus) but I guess it is parfocal.

+1, I couldn't zoom whilst keeping the focus constant either lol.

This lens should be by the indication of its focus markings, the focus line is straight through the focal lengths vs a vari-focal lens like the Vivitar S1 28-90mm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, would have been a nice video lens if it weren't for the push/pull.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good evening I am in search for lens for video use am between 2 lens
1.AT-X Tokina 60-120 f2,8
2 AT-X Tokina 35-70 f2,8
Who lens from the two suggest video use
thanks

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

serggio wrote:
Good evening I am in search for lens for video use am between 2 lens
1.AT-X Tokina 60-120 f2,8
2 AT-X Tokina 35-70 f2,8
Who lens from the two suggest video use
thanks

It totally depends on the focel length you prefer. One (35-70) is a standad zoom lens that offers you FoV from a light wide angle to a short tele, the other one (60-120) from a vers short to a medium tele.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at what price plays used the lens? AT-X Tokina 60-120 f2,8

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

serggio wrote:
at what price plays used the lens? AT-X Tokina 60-120 f2,8

Depends on the condition of the lens. One in excellent state will cost your about €80,- perhaps up to €100,-.
Those that used a bit more (and show it) will be cheaper.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carsten, have you had a chance to use the Tokina yet? What are your impressions?

I have one on route to me atm.