Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Asahiflex Tower (Sears/Fujita) 35mm f/2.5 - RARE, but ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:07 am    Post subject: Asahiflex Tower (Sears/Fujita) 35mm f/2.5 - RARE, but ? Reply with quote

I picked this thing up with a lot I recently aquired.

It has the 37mm Asahiflex mount.

It is the rather rare Tower 35/2.5 that Sears advertised for a short while in 1958 for the Asahiflex cameras it had been selling for a few years, which it called the Tower 22, 23 and 24. These were of course the first Pentax SLR's.

It is one of two wide-angle lenses made for Asahiflex (the other was a Steinheil), and this was before Asahi made any wide-angle Takumars. It is also probably the last lens made for Asahiflex, as these were already obsolete and about to be discontinued when this lens was introduced. I understand that this lens is quite desirable to collectors of Asahiflex.

There has been some mystery as to who made this lens. I can clear that up. It is a Fujita.

L- Tower R - Fujita

I have a Fujita in M42, the exact same lens.

Some people say that Asahi made the first Japanese retrofocus lens. I believe that honor probably belongs to Fujita, who was a true pioneer, as it made the worlds first retrofocus medium-format lens I believe in 1957, which beats Asahi by a year. This one was at least a contemporary of Asahi's first 35mm Takumar, and for what its worth it certainly got into the US market before the Takumar.

My problem - I don't collect Asahiflex and I don't want to, so this lens is for sale. It is not in perfect condition. The diaphragm blades are dislocated and the rear glass has a slight scrape, understandable as it projects beyond the lens barrel on this early retrofocus lens.

I am still deciding whether it is a good idea to try repair the diaphragm myself. If someone wants to make me an offer for the lens as-is, I will consider it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank your for this information! I never heard anything about these lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luis ... i am interested!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alex,

I don't know how to price this (being so rare), so make me an offer.