Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Are 'Made by Rollei' HFT lenses Carl Zeiss glass design?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:12 am    Post subject: Are 'Made by Rollei' HFT lenses Carl Zeiss glass design? Reply with quote

Are 'Made by Rollei' HFT lenses Carl Zeiss glass design? Or are they completely different lenses?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glass is Zeiss, mechanics Rollei from what I know.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have a look to:

http://www.taunusreiter.de/Cameras/Rollei_QBM_Zeiss_dt.html

as far as I know, "HFT" coating was invented to difference from the T* (used e.g. for Hasselblad & Contax) name, but designs of optical formula are the same.

later cheaper "Rolleinar" is different and made by several producers:
http://www.taunusreiter.de/Cameras/Rollei_QBM_Schneider_dt.html

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All HFT lenses bearing Zeiss brand names,like Planar,Distagon,Sonnar,Tele-Tessar are, more or less,Zeiss T lenses.Also some Voigtlanders,like Color-Ultron,Skoparex and Dynarex are Zeiss T lenses in fact.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good link for QBM lenses..

http://captjack.exaktaphile.com/rollei/Rolleilenses.htm

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

funny... neither taunusreiter nor Captain Jack do mention a HFT Tele-Tessar 3.5/200mm.. you also won't find information about it somewhere else on the net. Like it never exist, but I have one.. did I got a prototype? Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tedat wrote:
funny... neither taunusreiter nor Captain Jack do mention a HFT Tele-Tessar 3.5/200mm.. you also won't find information about it somewhere else on the net. Like it never exist, but I have one.. did I got a prototype? Shocked

Any photos?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will show some in a few hours.. I'm at work at the moment.

It's a old style one (metal grip) and it looks a bit different compared to the usual HFT Tele-Tessar 4/200

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Any photos?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tele-Tessar 3.5/200 didn't sell well, it was markedly inferior to the Sonnar 2.8/180 but not much cheaper and not much smaller or lighter. People just bought the Sonnar instead so the 3.5/200 isn't a very common lens. Therefore It was replaced by the smaller, lighter and cheaper Tele-Tessar 4/200.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting... any source for this? I haven't found anything about this lens on the net.

But are you talking about Rollei QBM or CY? This Rollei Tele-Tessar 3.5/200 is 13cm in lenght and weight about 650g.. seems not much bigger and just 80g heavier than the 4/200. And why should they bring it back to the CY line and replace it again wit the TT 4/200?

I haven't seen a Rollei version of the Sonnar 2.8/180 either.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judge from the length of the lens, it is likely it have same design as the CY version http://www.zeissimages.com/mtf/cy/Tele-Tessar3.5_200mm_e.pdf . Is this lens marked Rollei or Carl Zeiss? Is it made in West Germany or Singapore?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's marked "Carl Zeiss" and made in West Germany... no HFT is mentioned (I had this wrong in my mind). Serial Number doesn't look unique to me.

Length is similar to CY Tele-Tessar 3.5/200 but weight is around 130g less. Since it's also a full metal body I'm not so sure if it's the same design. On the other hand rendering is very similar to the CY TT, I did compare those both lenses before I gave the CY to a friend.. I didn't saw any difference (both very sharp even wide open, have same amount of CA and a pleasant bokeh. The typical 3D pop isn't that much like on other Zeiss glass).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never saw a 3,5/200 ZEISS in QBM mount, must be a rare item!

congrats
Thomas

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya all,

Knowing this is an old post. But please note some photo taken by "Rollei Tele Tessar HFT 200/3.5" by RDPIII... Very Happy

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, does my photo show up?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akenas wrote:
Hiya all,

Knowing this is an old post. But please note some photo taken by "Rollei Tele Tessar HFT 200/3.5" by RDPIII... Very Happy

Cheers!

That's really interesting. This lens version is really undocumented and maybe the predecessor of it's C/Y sibling of the Zeiss 200/3.5 or even built in parallel. I don't know.
Obviously it's made by Zeiss/Germany.
In QBM only the 200/4 and the late Rolleinar (Mamiya) 200/3.5 are well known and documented.
Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is showing. It's a nice picture but a bit washed out, which isn't surprising given the subject and composition. Have you got some more pictures from this rare lens that show it's how it performs ?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Thanks for your reply as I am a newbie here. Please wait me for a bit as it takes time to test this len via RDPIII...

I know that photo is not a good example as it is hazy that day.

Anyway, thanks for your kind reply

Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just thrown out a Tele-Tessar 4/200 in QBM. It proved impossible to repair for a couple of reasons, one of them being the use of glue. I salvaged the front glasses though as they might come in handy. It was a good lens but hardly better than other good ones like the Olympus OM 4/200, there was noticeable CA although the lens was sharp from f4.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Akenas:
Thanks for showing us Your lens, I never knew it was made in more modern version also!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here're optical schemes for Rollei Planar 50/1.8 and C/Y Planar 50/1.7. Clearly different lenses. However their 50/1.4 Planars look very similar on paper - I'd have to do something crazy, like swap elements to know for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gardener wrote:

However their 50/1.4 Planars look very similar on paper - I'd have to do something crazy, like swap elements to know for sure.

Yes. They are similar. Zeiss seems optimized the design before they make the CY version. They have different back focal distance. The back element of the Contax mount version is clear larger than the Quick Bayonet version.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything I've read says the QBM and C/Y 1.4/50 is the same lens. I only have a QBM so can't confirm or deny.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the same. Even the angle of view is slightly different(46 degrees vs 47 degrees for Contax).