Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Are any manual focus zoom lenses good?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMC Takumar-Zoom 45-125/4 is sharp from wide-open, has useful range both aps-c and ff.

Contax Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* 35-70mm F3.4 has good reputation.

I don't use zooms much. That "Stack of Primes" lens and the NIKKOR AI-S 35-135mm f/3,5-4,5 and two above. None nearly as good as prime lenses imho, but I'm not sure if that's my inexperience and prejudice. Actually a stack of Primes can weigh less or not much more. Depends on use of course, choosing primes or zoomer. I tend to use mine for "surveys", to determine which lenses to take there next time.

Kind of like using AF lens, using zooms feel like cheating. LOL!

However, sometimes getting the photograph is more important than getting the best photograph possible -- zoom lens on camera is more "prepared" for anything.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the interesting answers.

Yes, longer focal length zooms do tend to become quite heavy, which is a factor for me. Due to health reasons I am somewhat weight limited. Compounding that I suppose is the fact that I prefer 2-ring / "2-touch" zooms which from my observation tend to be heavier than the 1-touch variety.

This next thing is a bit difficult for me to explain, so apologies. When I first started on this adventure in manual focus lenses I was under the impression that all 1-touch zooms have a mechanism that combines the zoom and focus functionality (example: Nikon E 75-150mm). Until I picked up an Olympus OM 100-200mm f/5.0. On that one the focus ring rotates around the zoom ring. So it is still "1-touch", but with that system focusing has lower chance of moving the zoom.

I will have to research the lenses mentioned here. Thanks for all the responses.

Regards, Christine

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a lot of different old zooms. 35-70 minolta, canon fd , tamron adaptall ,fujinon, olympus. 75-150 (70-140-150) minolta md, canon fd, tamron adaptall . 28-85 minolta md, nfd, fujinon. As well as intermediate variants of the minolta 50-135 type. As for the 35-70, the md3 really stands out a little from others with better characteristics, but I almost did not use these zooms because of the short scaling. It was easier for me to take a 50mm prime and pan somewhere or make a crop. A much more interesting result is from the body 70(75)-140(150). I liked the minolta 75-150, but I had three copies and all had factory defects or the rollers fell apart from time. I was also pleased with the nfd 70-150, which felt no worse than the minolta.
p/s
I reviewed my old photos from old lenses and realized that I miss them a little (or in the meantime) I still don't understand why no manufacturer has released a compact 70-150/4(4.5) for Sony FE?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eschewing any zoom with a greater than 3x range means you would miss out on some fantastic lenses.

On my list would be the Nikkor 50-300mm ED lenses.

And the Nikkor 35-200mm, which may be my all-time favorite Nikkor. It's often with me on backpacking trips.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the subject of manual focus zoom lenses, I forgot to mention one of my favorites: the Olympus PEN-F (1960's) half-frame 50-90mm f/3.5.

All metal, smooth as silk to operate and sharp. I used it on a M43 camera. I understand that it does cover APS-C, but I suspect probably not full frame.

Regards, C.