Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Anyone using Fujinon EBC M42 series on Pentax DSLR?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:15 am    Post subject: Anyone using Fujinon EBC M42 series on Pentax DSLR? Reply with quote

Hi all - my LBA just hit me again resulting two extra lenses that I don't really need Smile

They are both Fujinon EBC M42:

1) 50/f1.4 EBC
2) 135/f3.5 EBC

They are both in fact M42 lenses and besides the fact that they don't have the A/M switch that I can easily fix it with the Q-tip trick, they can't seem to sit on my Pentax K100D properly.

The bottom on the lens has that little piece of metal that prevent the lens to be screwed tightly to the Pentax body. Do I need to trim that little piece of metal off? I just want to make sure before I do anything crazy and irreversible.

I will try to post some pictures later as I don't have the lenses with me right now.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just need to file down the small protrusion. Go slowly with a smal file, and it's a 10 minutes job. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ludoo wrote:
You just need to file down the small protrusion. Go slowly with a smal file, and it's a 10 minutes job. Smile

Thanks but will I be still able to focus at infinity?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To keep the lenses in original state, it will be better to add a groove for the small protusion to the adapter. Minutework with a lathe.

Klaus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a Pentax you can't add a groove to the adapter, as the protrusion is outside it. Anyway, the protrusion only works with three or four Fujica bodies for metering without stopping down, so it's not like it's useful.

And yes, you can focus to infinity once you have filed it down.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally here are the pictures of the 50/f1.4

Hi ludoo, so we're talking about the same protrusion seen in the pictures right? All I need is to trim that off?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we are talking about the same thing. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since lens looks a bit worn that is reasonable solution. Otherwise i would do as Klaus says. Such a lovely lens Fujinon!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ludoo wrote:
Yes, we are talking about the same thing. Smile

Great! Looks like I'll have something to do during the holidays break Smile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a Dremel tool would make quick work of it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got some spare times to work on my Fujinon 50/f1.4 EBC. Here is the final result side by side with the Fujinon 50/f1.4 non-EBC. The non-EBC doesn't have the protrusion so no filing work was required. Both versions don't have A/M switch so I had to crazy glue the diaphragm pin to be able to adjust the aperture.

Left: EBC version
Right Non-EBC version

#4 The Fujinon 135/f3.5 is on the left. It had the filter ring from "SMC Pentax-M 135/3.5" when I bought it Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too late for you, but for others instead of using “crazy glue” on the aperture pin I suggest opening three screws that hold the rear of the lens, taking out the aperture pin, cutting a hollow piece of plastic about 1mm long from a cotton swab (“q-tip”), inserting said piece on the aperture pin, and restoring the pin in the lens. This works great on almost all M42 Fujinons.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkku wrote:
Too late for you, but for others instead of using “crazy glue” on the aperture pin I suggest opening three screws that hold the rear of the lens, taking out the aperture pin, cutting a hollow piece of plastic about 1mm long from a cotton swab (“q-tip”), inserting said piece on the aperture pin, and restoring the pin in the lens. This works great on almost all M42 Fujinons.

Could not get that operation to work on my Fujinon 28/3.5 EBC. Think I'll buy some super glue!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kram wrote:

Could not get that operation to work on my Fujinon 28/3.5 EBC. Think I'll buy some super glue!

Hmm, a couple of the Fujinons (e.g. 55mm f/1.8) can't easily be opened to access the pin, but I don't recall the 28mm f/3.5 being one of those. In fact I do believe mine is converted to manual aperture with the cotton swab method.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Kram wrote:
Arkku wrote:

Why don't you try an adapter with an inner flange ? They are not too much expensive (have one for my K10D and one for my 5DII) and will keep the lens at its value ...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkku, oh how I tried. Posted on my efforts in a thread on your flickr group several months ago. I am not very mechanically inclined though, so I may be to blame.

indianadinos, that's a good idea. What would it be called? A Fujinon to Canon EOS interenal flange adapter? Do you know who sells it?

BTW, it's a $30 lens. Good performer too.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd disagree that it's a 30 dollar lens. I sold a complete set (case, hood, original caps) for about 120. Just the lens will go 70-100 typically.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Kram wrote:

indianadinos, that's a good idea. What would it be called? A Fujinon to Canon EOS interenal flange adapter? Do you know who sells it?

I bought mine from calvin83, it is called Fujinon-to-EOS adapter and works like a charm ...

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkku wrote:

Hi Arkku - I tried that. I was able to open the back of the lens and reach out to the aperture pin but there was no way I could insert the q-tip piece. I did that type of operation before on two of my Helios that that don't have A/M and they work like a charm. Also, if you look closely at the picture that i posted that shows the back of the lens, there are no screws. I had to use the spanner to open the back hence I suspect there are different types of M42 Fujinon.

Last edited by ducdao on Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:12 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
I'd disagree that it's a 30 dollar lens. I sold a complete set (case, hood, original caps) for about 120. Just the lens will go 70-100 typically.

I should have said that I paid $30.
Smile