Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Anyone here with a FED 28mm 4.5? (advice needed)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:33 pm    Post subject: Anyone here with a FED 28mm 4.5? (advice needed) Reply with quote

I just received my copy, a very clean one. But I have some questions. On 2 camera's (Fuji X-T1 and Ricoh GXR) with LTM-adapters with adequate register distance, I cannot get the lens to focus beyond a few cm.

I just want to make sure I didn't overlook anything too obvious. Since it is a rare and not quite cheap lens, and the option to return is also open, I'm not going to hacksaw my way around it Mr. Green

The lens seems to have been opened and cleaned at some point, as the glass and aperture blades do not look 80 years old.

(Yes bought from a reputable seller, but he is on weekend leave now, and I'm a bit impatient, as I was highly anticipating using this one as a street-lens on my GXR)

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited by Sjak on Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And one more question:
When the lens is set to wide open, is it normal to still see the aperture blades?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!

My exemplar has infinity on LTM adapter (you can see here http://pierretizien-photos.blogspot.fr/2016/02/fed-35-28mm45.html )
Also, no, it's NOT normal to still see the blades when it's at f4.5!

I guess your exemplar was bad reassembled, which is quite a pity for such historical and rare lens. Glass elements in this lens are really ultra tiny and thin, I will never risk such operation (whereas my exemplar is not in great shape).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BurstMox wrote:
Hello!

Also, no, it's NOT normal to still see the blades when it's at f4.5!

I guess your exemplar was bad reassembled, ...

I'm sure that BurstMox is right.

about the difficulties of disassembling-assembling-aligning look here (Russian):

http://rangefinder.ru/club/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=14637

important remark:

"P.S. Диафрагма хитро собирается - ведь у нее максимально открытое отверстие не совсем полное, нужно пометить/запомнить при разборке"

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pierre, thanks Sergtum!

I contacted the seller. The aperture does not even bother me that much, but I want a lens that can at least take normal pictures, and not wit a max focus distance of 3 centimeter or so.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meanwhile I received feedback from the seller, who insists the lens should be adjusted to my camera, as the regsiter distance was not yet standardized in those years. (Oddly, seller also claims lenses are adjusted in-house, probably to "average L39 register distance")

Just for the sake of testing, I put it without adapter on my Fuji, so a register of 11.10mm shorter than L39. Lens now focuses up to approx. 10cm. So there is no way this lens can be adjusted for L39 register distance.

Another oddity: When I mount it on any L39-adapter, the lens comes with the distance scale pointing down, and the focus tab pointing up. On all other rangefinder-lenses, this is the other way around.

I have meanwhile requested a return&refund. This is the first time ever this happens to me on ebay, so let's see....

Your input here was valuable to me.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you provide a photo of the lens (photo of the rear part from diagonal angle)?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something like this?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that's clear : Rear element is missing! Shocked

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can compare with mine :

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pierre, thanks so much for the very fast follow-up!

Although not what I was hoping for, at least I know what to do. Refund has been requested.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: Seller accepted return-process without discussion.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good! I wish you to find a good one now!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BurstMox wrote:
Good! I wish you to find a good one now!
Thanks!

I was looking around for a small wide, preferably Soviet or German, to make a discrete walkaround lens on my Ricoh. I struck immediately when I encountered "my" Fed. Actually, I even would have accepted the aperture-issue, if that was the only thing about this copy: the glass was very clean.

For now, I will probably get an Orion-15 for my GXR, and put the rest of the refund into my savings account.

The Fed will stay on my search list, but it is an exotic lens, and hard to find a good one.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orion-15 is way better choice than fed 28/4.5, in terms of image quality.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: Refund received immediately when the lens arrived at seller.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Industar-69 isn't bad and it's cheap.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
The Industar-69 isn't bad and it's cheap.

I don't know if the I69 will cover the GXR sensor.
Looks like it does better than on my NEX-7
http://forum.mflenses.com/industar-69-28-2-8-and-ricoh-gxr-t71251.html
Judging by the pics in the above thread, I would get one if I had the GXR M.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already have an Industar-69, and also used it on my GXR Smile

On below pic it is is not yet adjusted for infinity on the GXR, so is more a close-up lens.

But also looking for a real RF-lens near 28mm Wink

Nothing urgent though, and because an idiot parked his car into mine, I have other financial priorities until I receive the insurance compensation....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sjak wrote:
I already have an Industar-69, and also used it on my GXR Smile

On below pic it is is not yet adjusted for infinity on the GXR, so is more a close-up lens.

But also looking for a real RF-lens near 28mm Wink

Nothing urgent though, and because an idiot parked his car into mine, I have other financial priorities until I receive the insurance compensation....

Have the Industar-69 as well. Nice tiny lens with average quality.

However, my favorite RF lens in that range for the GXR is the Voigtlaender Ultron 28mm/F1.9 in M39/LTM though it's not a tiny lens at all.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my Leica M 28/2.8 v3, I wouldn't mind seeing what it can do on the A7III and A7rIII, same with my Leica M 24/2.8 Asph.
I still need an M 50/2 with no tab.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An Elmarit 28 is too expensive for my intended use. But it lead me to the Minolta CLE 28, which is nice and relatively affordable.