Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Anyone else have a Tamron SP 300mm f/2.8 LD (IF) 60B?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Anyone else have a Tamron SP 300mm f/2.8 LD (IF) 60B? Reply with quote

I was looking for 300mm 2.8 prime and came across the Tamron SP 300mm f/2.8 LD (IF) 60B. After doing some reading and searching on Ebay, I got one. It came in the case, had two different rear filters(and holders) etc. It is missing the strap(could use that, this is a heavy bastard when shooting hand-held) and it is also missing the little palm rest that could be attached to the collar(which I cannot find for sale anywhere). I have to get a different tripod head as the Manfrotto 322RC2 does not work with it(I have other tripods and a monopod to use).

Here a couple of pics that I have taken with it:

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly would like to try one!

A bit rich for my blood though.

Congratulations on your models!
Make the most of them while they still let you take their pictures.
Mine grew up, so they are no longer available.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
I certainly would like to try one!

A bit rich for my blood though.

Congratulations on your models!
Make the most of them while they still let you take their pictures.
Mine grew up, so they are no longer available.

Yes, it was a little expensive, but infinitely cheaper than a Nikkor AF 300 2.8: ) As to the models, my kids are generally understanding. Sometimes they surprise me and tell me they want their picture taken. They are growing up quickly, so I try to get as many pics as I can.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use this lens a lot, typically with a 014F 1.4x tc. You can see pics I have taken here (use the search function to look for my posts, I use the same u-m on PF).
My example was a fortuitous buy, a rather beat up example that didn't bid up. It's suffered some more since, sliding out of my Lowe sling shot bag onto the ground Sad , the mount end cap taking most of the force fortunately, optics not affected. But the aperture mechanics were affected and now I am restricted to manual camera mode.
Definitely get yourself some sort of baggage strap with clips that will attach to the square rings on the lens body for carrying. I habitually use a monopod so I just carry the assemblage over my shoulder.
This was the most expensive adaptall made, more expensive even than the scarce 400mm f4 new (not today tho on the s/h market!!), made when large LD elements were technically innovative and pricy..

Some examples (pentax K5, first two heavily cropped):

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
I use this lens a lot, typically with a 014F 1.4x tc. You can see pics I have taken here (use the search function to look for my posts, I use the same u-m on PF).
My example was a fortuitous buy, a rather beat up example that didn't bid up. It's suffered some more since, sliding out of my Lowe sling shot bag onto the ground Sad , the mount end cap taking most of the force fortunately, optics not affected. But the aperture mechanics were affected and now I am restricted to manual camera mode.
Definitely get yourself some sort of baggage strap with clips that will attach to the square rings on the lens body for carrying. I habitually use a monopod so I just carry the assemblage over my shoulder.
This was the most expensive adaptall made, more expensive even than the scarce 400mm f4 new (not today tho on the s/h market!!), made when large LD elements were technically innovative and pricy..

Some examples (pentax K5, first two heavily cropped):

Great pictures. I have not used the 1.4 yet, making it a 400mm F4 I believe? I might try it this weekend. I have not tried to use it for wildlife shots yet. I need to buy a lowepro bag large enough to allow the lens to be attached to my Nikon D800, the one right now will fit up to a 70-200 2.8 connected to my D800. I would like to get some straps to connect to it to offset the weight, good thing I still go to the gym: ) The copy I got is in really good shape considering its age:

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a nice nice 60B, with the original square case as well.
Lens + tc fits pretty nicely in my slingshot 100AW. I usually have my camera in the top compartment with a lens like the 50mm f1.7 on. The slingshot has a very convenient loop to park the monopod in, and a wee pocket on the front that just fits my bean bag - never leave home without your bean bag!! Actually I think those merganser shots were using my bb.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have a 60B, which is a good lens, especially considering its age. I don't like the focusing ring because, like on other internal focusing lenses manufactured by Tamron, it's too stiff and lacks precision.

I also use the 60B with the 200F teleconverter and the results are very good, even wide open.

But it's not the kind of setup you want to carry on a mountain trek.

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic lens!

#1 Macro!

#2 Shot with the mad extension above

#3 André Greipel, Sony A7 II

#4 Sony A7 II

#5 Olympus E-M1

#6 Olympus E-M1

#7 Olympus E-M1

A few more if you're interested
https://www.flickr.com/photos/125323761@N07/albums/72157648564856803/with/17895493664/

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one which I have not used much because of the weight. I remember something about Tamron developing this in response to requests from professionals for a high performance 300mm. It should give best resolution and contrast at f8.

I also have the 400mm. I find that Urban Sling bags, which 7Day Shop.com sold until recently (£4) are perfect for either lens.

The 200F and 140F converters should be used.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a couple more 60B + 014F shots. Pentax K5, lens resides at around f5.6 with this combo.

While I have other lenses that can compete in terms of IQ, the big advantage of this fast lens is visual focus: brighter focus screen, sharper depth of field.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I see of this lens, the more I want one..... Rolling Eyes

Great pictures from everyone in this topic, just having a great lens doesn't mean great images. You've got to be able to use it!

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
That's a nice nice 60B, with the original square case as well.
Lens + tc fits pretty nicely in my slingshot 100AW. I usually have my camera in the top compartment with a lens like the 50mm f1.7 on. The slingshot has a very convenient loop to park the monopod in, and a wee pocket on the front that just fits my bean bag - never leave home without your bean bag!! Actually I think those merganser shots were using my bb.

Cool, I have all Lowepro bags, although I would love to be able to have the the 60B connected to my D800. Right now I am using a Slingshot AW302, which allows a 70-200 to be connected. I am not a huge fan of changing lenses often in the field(although I do it often). I have not cleaned the sensor before, usually send it away.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:
I do have a 60B, which is a good lens, especially considering its age. I don't like the focusing ring because, like on other internal focusing lenses manufactured by Tamron, it's too stiff and lacks precision.

I also use the 60B with the 200F teleconverter and the results are very good, even wide open.

But it's not the kind of setup you want to carry on a mountain trek.

Cheers!

Abbazz

I agree the focus ring could be a little stiff but I am used to it, I also have a SP 20-40.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

itsfozzy wrote:
Fantastic lens!

#1 Macro!

#4 Sony A7 II

#5 Olympus E-M1

#6 Olympus E-M1

#7 Olympus E-M1

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125323761@N07/albums/72157648564856803/with/17895493664/

Nice shots, I favorited some of them on Flickr, I am on there also: https://www.flickr.com/photos/owenheuston/

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

itsfozzy wrote:
Fantastic lens!

#1 Macro!

#4 Sony A7 II

#5 Olympus E-M1

#6 Olympus E-M1

#7 Olympus E-M1

Nice shots, I favorited some of them on Flickr, I am on there also: https://www.flickr.com/photos/owenheuston/

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oheuston wrote:
I have not used the 1.4 yet, making it a 400mm F4 I believe?

420mm

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned a 60B for several years now, and I've gotta say it was worth every penny. There are just some shots you can't get unless you have at least a 300mm f/2.8, and I realized years ago that a 300/2.8 was the price of admission for several different types of photography.

In more recent years, most of my outings with my 60B have been to local airshows and the odd motorcyce race. Even though Houston claims to have a diverse bird population, I've yet to see much of one. I'm envious of all the remarkable bird shots you guys have posted. So anyway, given I don't have any decent bird shots, I'll just have to make do with some from recent airshows and motorcycle races.

Last edited by cooltouch on Sat May 26, 2018 3:53 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The focus ring is the only thing that is a bit lacking with the lens, the Nikkor in the shot has a far sweeter focus ring, but it's a shame it turns the wrong way... The Nikkor was a lens that I bought and sold as part of my business, but the Tamron was mine. Optically I could not tell them apart and would have been more than happy with either of them. I sold the Tamron after I bought a Canon FD 400/4.5 as this coincided with me going full frame, and the Tamron worked better for birding with an E-M1 than with my Sony. Having a 300/2.8 on a 2x crop worked brilliantly for me as it let me drop 16mp on the subject with a filled frame of an equivalent 600mm and the extra DoF of a 300mm vs 600mm lens made it easy to get birds in flight in focus.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one too, but no images to show here.
As many of my lenses I bought it cheap in not so good shape. No extra filter but the UV/ clear glass. No collar, no strap, no case.
I hope to find time for a comparison between this and my FD 300mm/2.8 with fungus, and a Nikkor AF one (with missing back end).

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've largely stopped using mine... It's become apparent there's some sort of problem with the focusing group. When tilting the lens, the focus will shift on its own. Something is sliding back and forth under gravity.

Actually, if anyone knows who might have the knowledge to diagnose or repair the problem, let me know.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about this guy
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tamron-300mm-f2-8-SP-LD-IF-Lens-Adaptall-Mount-Nikon-F-Canon-EF-MD-OM/173334829360?hash=item285b8f9930:g:cFMAAOSwKQ9Z~z4y

Wink

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very fair price IMO if the optical performance is correct. However I can remark that the last 60B I had in my watch list was a much better example with case etc and went for around £350 if I remember right. Would have been well worth a bid if I didn't have one... good ones do regularly bid up nearer 500.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Deep wrote:
I've largely stopped using mine... It's become apparent there's some sort of problem with the focusing group. When tilting the lens, the focus will shift on its own. Something is sliding back and forth under gravity.

Actually, if anyone knows who might have the knowledge to diagnose or repair the problem, let me know.

I know very little about Internal Focusing, but what I have learned from the bit of investigation I have done on IF is that repairs and adjustments require very special equipment. If you get in there and mess around with it, you've just blown it kablooey. So, better to have an expert professional make the repairs or adjustments.

Since you guys are discussing price, I may as well mention what I paid for mine. I bought mine -- at auction -- on eBay for $500. For that I got the lens with front cap and strap. No 1.4x, no little handle, and especially no case. But at the time I bought it, other 60Bs were selling on eBay for $700 and up. Reason why mine was so cheap was the seller admitted it had a bit of fungus. He showed photos of it. It seemed minor to me, so I decided to take the gamble. I was the only bidder.

When I received the lens, I was pleasantly surprised that the fungus was not nearly as bad as the seller made it appear in the photos. Just a few minor traces on the back side of the front element. A very easy fix.

So anyway, the case would have been nice, but I didn't need it. And I didn't need the TC because I already own one. As for that little handle thingy, I never used it on the 60B I owned years ago, so I figured I wasn't gonna miss it. I don't do much hand-held stuff with that optic, after all.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the several of Tamron's adaptall 300/2.8 lenses: the 107B, 60B, and 360B. Optically I'm impressed with all of them. Functionally, I use the 360B most and actually quite often. I have owned a few copies of the 400/4 as well (and still have 1) and I have experiences the stiff focusing ring. One copy, so much so, it went in for repair. Once repaired though, these lenses are capable of very smooth, easy focusing mechanisms. I wonder if the lubricant Tamron originally used just didn't age well? Whatever the case, the copies I have kept have pretty smooth focusing though they are nothing compared to the 360B.

The 360B almost whispers as you manipulate focus with a single finger. It's heavenly. I photographed a storytelling event and I was off to the sides of the stage as well as behind the crowd in a relatively intimate space. I had the 300/2.8 on a monopod mounted to a Fujifilm X-T2 and the metabones speed booster. I love the results. Between the 60B and 360B, I haven't done any detailed comparisons as they may even be the same optical formula with a cosmetic upgrade. Someone here may better know this. But Tamron's 300/2.8s have been stellar for me (especially given the cost as others mentioned). I picked up each of these 300s for sub $500, often with teleconverters, 112mm filters, 43mm filters, etc. Another accessory you might find useful if handholding is the palm grip that Tamron sold with these. Mounts to the tripod socket but gives you a little hand grip.