Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Anybody used a7s for serious video shooting?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject: Anybody used a7s for serious video shooting? Reply with quote

I'm about to buy a "video" camera that I'll use for work. Since I (and my clients) am quite pleased with the results I got with my manual lenses on different cameras, the idea would be to buy something that allows me to do that. I've been using a 5dIII most of the time, recently, and it is more than enough for the kind of work I need to do, but being a long time sony aficionado and strongly attracted by the compactness and the possibility to use rf lenses on it - not to mention the low light capabilities and the possibility to have 4K output- I am trying to pick up as many opinions as possible about this camera's performance.
So far, it has been a chorus of praises but I suspect some were not completely unbiased.
Has anybody here tried the a7s for "serious" video shooting and care to share impressions/opinions?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For serious Video making, take a look at the Canon Eos C500. 4k video and uses all the EOS lenses plus whatever you can adapt to it. A seriously good camera. The one I'd buy if I were in the market.

Why use a still camera? For video use a video camera. No over heating, no limited length clips, better file format save etc...
look here: http://canonxf.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/canon-eos-c500-4k-camcorder-launches.html

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love the c500, I've been using a c300 every now and then recently and I'm absolutely sure it's better than any dslr i've tried, but I have to consider the price too: the c500 launch price should be under $30.000, the a7s is under $3.000.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you probably know, with the A7S you need an external recorder for 4K video.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pontus wrote:
As you probably know, with the A7S you need an external recorder for 4K video.

Yes, I know - and thanks for pointing that out - but I should be able to get one quite easily and cheap, if I need it.
However, 4K is a concern only in terms of longevity of the purchase: 90% of what I need to shoot now will be in 1080p, as time for post production is never enough, and working at higher resolutions makes the workflow significantly longer.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsung NX1 does 4K, it is reported to have the best APS-C sized sensor yet seen.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and H.265, which has an awful workflow.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Black Magic ?
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/cinemacameras

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
How about Black Magic ?
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/cinemacameras

+1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends. One of my friends uses it for remote work (of which he does a lot) because it is so small and light, even with a Wooden Camera cage and Shogun recorder. I bought it for sLog2 and the low light sensitivity because I shoot a lot of wildlife and astro timelapse.

If your work will benefit from a true superflat image (sorry, 3rd party picture profiles for Canon dslrs never cut it for me, or even came close), usable high ISO, the ability to use almost any lens ever made, and the compact form factor, I would say jump on a used one OR wait till the II comes out in October. I bought mine with the full intention of adding a real digital cinema camera in a year or so, like an FS5/7, BMD Ursa Mini or Kinefinity.

If you already have a good set of EF lenses, I would say look into the BMD cameras because they produce an INSANELY beautiful image (especially the new 4.6K sensor) and have a native EF mount. Yes the Ursa is big and uses CFast2 media, but there are workarounds (CBox, lets you use SSD media), and the Ursa Mini packs many of the features of the Ursa into a much more compact body.

My personal on the Canon C series; I havent used them much, but did a two week shoot as an AC/second camera op where about half the camera crews used them at one point or another (myself and the cameraman I was ACing used a DRAGON, GH4 and 6D for the most part) and the few times I shot with one, I was pretty underwhelmed. For someone who is used to a DSLR (especially Canon), I felt like it should feel more familiar. But I also passionately hate shooting with a DSLR (to bring this full circle; this is why I went with something I knew I could easily move to a second camera/timelapse specific camera soon). Like I said, thats my personal opinion.