Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Any good advice to avoid tiny particles in lens cleaning?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Any good advice to avoid tiny particles in lens cleaning? Reply with quote

I have recently cleaned some lenses. I used lense cleaning liquid to clear some oily haze on lens glass in a lens rear group, and dried it with lens paper. I used blower to blow off the major dusts or particles. However, after putting the rear lens group together, I checked the lens by using a flashlight. There were still quite a few tiny particles. Are there better ways to avoid tiny particles during lens cleaning. I know we are not living in a super clean environment like the lens assembly line. I wonder how the camera shop in the marketplace does it to avoid dusts.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is always some dust in the air.
What some guys do is to repair lenses in the bathroom, after having washed the dust out of the air with a shower. A normal shower will generate tiny water drops in the surrounding air. Once they hovered down to the floor, they have taken most of the dust particles with them.
I have never tried that. And you should have a good timing: too late and dust is up again, too early and you enclose some of those tiny drops inside you lens!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check blower for dust inside Wink cover blower air intake with a pec pad.

initial dusting use blower outside area used for re-assembly.

pec pad micro-fibers used for cleaning remove all dust particles.

check with flashlight during assembly Wink

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easiest solution: Stop worrying, it has no effect on photos.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkku wrote:

+1. Some dust will have no effect at all

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use a blower. Why blow dust around around the room? I bought a small nozzle which fits on the end of the vacuum cleaner hose and it sucks the dust off the lens and up the tube, with a little help from a very soft squirrel-hair artist's water-colour brush.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkku wrote:

+1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
I don't use a blower. Why blow dust around around the room? I bought a small nozzle which fits on the end of the vacuum cleaner hose and it sucks the dust off the lens and up the tube, with a little help from a very soft squirrel-hair artist's water-colour brush.

Excellent idea

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds sad, but has anyone tried earthing themselves when cleaning?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the suggestions. I think the idea to suck the dust away is worthy trying.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goombles wrote:
Sounds sad, but has anyone tried earthing themselves when cleaning?

I'm not that fussed about dust specks on the external surfaces of lenses, and I know dust doesn't make any appreciable difference to the image quality. But some people buying lenses think it's important so for that reason I do like to keep things as clean as possible internally.

I think that sounds a very sensible idea and I'm going to try it! Smile

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkku wrote:

+1

Most, if not all, lenses are not hermetically sealed, so will inevitably get dust inside. Zooms are the worst, but primes also.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkku wrote:

I eventually took this lens apart and got the dead fly out, but it hasn't improved the lens any. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I eventually took this lens apart and got the dead fly out, but it hasn't improved the lens any. Wink

Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aleksanderpolo wrote:
Lloydy wrote:

Laughing

+10 Laughing Laughing I have also some lens with bug, one sonnar was dusty inside and you can see foot steps of bugs too. I sold this lens describe bug, dusts and returned from buyers this is fungus Laughing Still with me no time to clean and sell it again.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
aleksanderpolo wrote:
Lloydy wrote:

Laughing

+10 Laughing Laughing I have also some lens with bug, one sonnar was dusty inside and you can see foot steps of bugs too. I sold this lens describe bug, dusts and returned from buyers this is fungus Laughing Still with me no time to clean and sell it again.

+11. I sold a lens with a yellow bug inside. Never receive complain about image quality from buyer.