Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Ansco Vest Pocket No.2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject: Ansco Vest Pocket No.2 Reply with quote

I recently picked up this interesting old camera from our favorite source, an Ansco Vest Pocket No. 2, made around 1920 I think.

Its not truly better functionally than the usual roll-film folder, its just that it has interesting design details. The front standard pops out on struts instead of a folding bed (thats not unique to this camera of course), the neat built-in cap with a comprehensive depth of field scale inside, and the focusing helical built in to the front standard - this is not a front-element focusing lens. Quite neat overall, but I suspect its not as sturdy a design as most conventional folders.

Its a "Vest Pocket" camera, presumably made to compete with the very popular Kodak VP, but it uses 120 film instead of 127 ("4A" was Ansco's name for 120).

And then there's the "Bionic" shutter, actually made by Wollensak. Interesting name eh ? The lens is a Modico, made in Britain I think - by who ? Ansco used a lot of these, I have another from a 116 Ansco folder. Its a triplet of some sort I think.

Its a very clean example, given its age, and seems fully functional. I have a lot of 120 film, so I am sure to have a try one of these days.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a nice cam !

And the condition seems to be great for this age. Congrats for you find.
Hope to see images the next days.

Wink

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great condition! Most of the time when I run into old folders at flea markets and garage sales they're from the 1940s-50s and in much worse condition than this.

Thanks also for the series, indeed lots of interesting design details.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked How old and how good looking , amazing!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A beauty. Despite its ancient, pre WWI looks, it may be anytime between 1916 (date on the pressure plate) and at least 1926 (when Agfa took over Ansco), possibly even later, as the last Ansco cameras weren't replaced by the corresponding Agfa models until 1938.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have one beauty there! Congratulations.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what a beauty!!

tf