Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Angenieux bonnette confusion
View previous topic :: View next topic  


PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Angenieux bonnette confusion Reply with quote

I lack even a rudimentary understanding of the Angenieux bonnettes and am quite confused.

Some say a bonnette is merely a lens hood. But there is indication as well that a bonnette is a form of auxiliary lens.

There are #1 bonnettes and #2 bonnettes. Is that just a difference in auxiliary lens power? Would a lens owner want to own BOTH a #1 and a #2 bonnette for his lens? Or are the two mutually exclusive?

As I said, confusion. Perhaps it would help if I spoke French? In any event it is difficult to find anywhere answers to such questions as these regarding bonnettes.


PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Bonnette = Bonnet in English which sounds much more like a lens hood than an auxiliary lens.


PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Well, Bonnette = Bonnet in English which sounds much more like a lens hood than an auxiliary lens.


Yes, it does.

But consider this photo of a Bonnette #1:



That photo was lifted from this auction:

Click here to see on Ebay

and surely appears to depict an add-on lens of some nature.

As I wrote in the OP, it is a confusion for those like myself who do not understand Angenieux's use of the term, and who do not know exactly what a "Bonnette" comprises.


PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Angenieux bonnette confusion Reply with quote

guardian wrote:
I lack even a rudimentary understanding of the Angenieux bonnettes and am quite confused.

Some say a bonnette is merely a lens hood. But there is indication as well that a bonnette is a form of auxiliary lens.

There are #1 bonnettes and #2 bonnettes. Is that just a difference in auxiliary lens power? Would a lens owner want to own BOTH a #1 and a #2 bonnette for his lens? Or are the two mutually exclusive?

As I said, confusion. Perhaps it would help if I spoke French? In any event it is difficult to find anywhere answers to such questions as these regarding bonnettes.


By definition, a bonnette is an add-on optical element screwed onto a lens. In practice this term is mostly used for macro lens attachments. So yes, you would want no. 1 and no. 2 , as their magnification rates are different.


PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Angenieux bonnette confusion Reply with quote

konicamera wrote:
guardian wrote:
I lack even a rudimentary understanding of the Angenieux bonnettes and am quite confused.

Some say a bonnette is merely a lens hood. But there is indication as well that a bonnette is a form of auxiliary lens.

There are #1 bonnettes and #2 bonnettes. Is that just a difference in auxiliary lens power? Would a lens owner want to own BOTH a #1 and a #2 bonnette for his lens? Or are the two mutually exclusive?

As I said, confusion. Perhaps it would help if I spoke French? In any event it is difficult to find anywhere answers to such questions as these regarding bonnettes.


By definition, a bonnette is an add-on optical element screwed onto a lens. In practice this term is mostly used for macro lens attachments. So yes, you would want no. 1 and no. 2 , as their magnification rates are different.


Thank you, konicamera. That is illuminating to say the least. And it is helpful.


PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Angenieux bonnette confusion Reply with quote

guardian wrote:

Thank you, konicamera. That is illuminating to say the least. And it is helpful.

Toujours votre service. Smile


PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Angenieux bonnette confusion Reply with quote

konicamera wrote:
guardian wrote:

Thank you, konicamera. That is illuminating to say the least. And it is helpful.

Toujours � votre service. Smile


Whoo Turtle

It got better about an hour after I thanked you. In fact, owing to the understanding you imparted, I just bought my first bonnette. It is a No. 1 for my Angenieux 10 x 12 B cine lens, one of my favorite lenses. There is even a special space in the case, currently empty but not for long, for the bonnette!!

Now I need to find a No. 2 bonnette for this lens, I hope again one I'm able to afford. These things are not usually inexpensive.

Here is the auction:

Click here to see on Ebay then click see original listing

There were three other people watching that auction when I pulled the trigger.

Thanks again.


PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Angenieux bonnette confusion Reply with quote

guardian wrote:
konicamera wrote:
guardian wrote:

Thank you, konicamera. That is illuminating to say the least. And it is helpful.

Toujours � votre service. Smile


Whoo Turtle

It got better about an hour after I thanked you. In fact, owing to the understanding you imparted, I just bought my first bonnette. It is a No. 1 for my Angenieux 10 x 12 B cine lens, one of my favorite lenses. There is even a special space in the case, currently empty but not for long, for the bonnette!!

Now I need to find a No. 2 bonnette for this lens, I hope again one I'm able to afford. These things are not usually inexpensive.

Here is the auction:

Click here to see on Ebay then click see original listing

There were three other people watching that auction when I pulled the trigger.

Thanks again.

Congratulations. I'm not very familiar with Angenieux stuff, but this is a steal I believe. At prices like these, it makes one wonder why the lookers (lurkers?) even bother to follow the auction instead of getting into the action.


PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: Angenieux bonnette confusion Reply with quote

guardian wrote:
Thanks again.

PM sent


PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: Angenieux bonnette confusion Reply with quote

konicamera wrote:
guardian wrote:
Thanks again.

PM sent


Good of you, konicamera. Appreciated. Not the one for my lens, sad to say.

There are one or two nice No. 2 bonnettes up for sale on this side of the pond, but prices are out of bounds IMO.

Patience will win the prize on this item as it did with the No. 1 . . . after you explained what was going on. Wink


PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Konicamera

That Angenieux No.1 bonnette arrived today. What a perfect little optic. It fits my Angenieux 10 x 12 B cine lens perfectly. Even the original red Angenieux box is in nearly-new condition.

Whoo Turtle

You know, I generally never buy, or would buy, add-on or auxiliary lenses. But I make exception to the general rule when the add-on lens is dedicated to a particular situation. Fox example, I have the Super Nooky for my Konica III camera. This is also a special, dedicated, add-on optic.

http://forum.mflenses.com/super-nooky-for-konica-iii-t74956.html

So now it is this Angenieux No. 1 bonnette that has come my way. I feel fortunate to have acquired this piece and I have you to thank!

On now to finding an affordable copy of the Angenieux No. 2 bonnette. There are several copies available here but the prices are much higher than what I paid for the No. 1. It is a matter of watching and waiting.


PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guardian wrote:
Konicamera

That Angenieux No.1 bonnette arrived today. What a perfect little optic. It fits my Angenieux 10 x 12 B cine lens perfectly. Even the original red Angenieux box is in nearly-new condition.

Whoo Turtle

You know, I generally never buy, or would buy, add-on or auxiliary lenses. But I make exception to the general rule when the add-on lens is dedicated to a particular situation. Fox example, I have the Super Nooky for my Konica III camera. This is also a special, dedicated, add-on optic.

http://forum.mflenses.com/super-nooky-for-konica-iii-t74956.html

So now it is this Angenieux No. 1 bonnette that has come my way. I feel fortunate to have acquired this piece and I have you to thank!

On now to finding an affordable copy of the Angenieux No. 2 bonnette. There are several copies available here but the prices are much higher than what I paid for the No. 1. It is a matter of watching and waiting.


You're too kind. I'm glad your new purchase makes you happy. I wonder how the rendering is with it. They are nice indeed, these little dedicated items from the 50s and 60s. Third party macro attachments are a dime a dozen, but these things are almost collector's items. Incidentally, I suspect the British English term bonnet for what the Yanks refer to as a hood etymologically probably comes from this bonnette contraption. Something that comes on top and closes something else.