Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

An uncommon find - Cosmogon
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:50 am    Post subject: An uncommon find - Cosmogon Reply with quote

Click here to see on Ebay

Just won this little package on ebay. The one thing that I was really after was the 58mm which if all goes to plan is called the Cosmogon. It's a rare re-branding of the Helios 44m for U.S. markets. The quality is probably the same but it sure is interesting!

~Marc

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting name !

The Zenits and their lenses were also sold in the US under the "Kalimar" brand and a bunch of others.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a new name to me, thankyou! I'd only heard of Zenit cameras being branded as "Kalimar" for the US market.

Why is it that the US market likes to have different brand and model names for the same product compared to the rest of the world? I can understand that a Russian name might have been politically incorrect at one time, but the tradition is still carried on even today with the Canon Rebel line for instance.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes there are quite a few names out there: http://www.sovietcams.com/index.php?266679895

I had a helios 44m along with a zenit em a while back. Unfortunately both meet a unsightly end when I gave the camera to a friend. I've always felt that they should be replaced.

The other stuff in the set are nice too. They will probably go to my girlfriend in an attempt to expand her collection (and still let me buy stuff).

~Marc