Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in
An 'Old Friend' back again !
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject: An 'Old Friend' back again ! Reply with quote

I got back an 'Old Friend' the other day -- my ORIGINAL Asahi Pentax S3 bought for £87 in 1961 in a Camera Shop in Barking, Essex !! I had sold it to a bloke over 30 years ago and he said " It was not Working any more" -- when he brought it round it looked Very Sad -- the lens was COVERED in DUST ! I cleaned up the body with Cotton Buds ( 'Q-Tips' for you Yanks -- but we still LOVE you ! ) I brushed off the lens dust and cleaned with lens fluid and tissues and it was NOT SCRATCHED !! Then I took off the base-plate and with very small amount of Sewing Machine Oil lubricated all the Cogs and Levers -- then gently wound on and LO !! and BEHOLD !! It creaked into life again !! I took a few frames on Fuji Acros processed in my Home-Made Microphen at different shutter speeds and mostly at full aperture and shutter seems accurate -- lens is a bit 'soft' at f1.8 compared with my Super-Takumars and the 50mm f1.4 SMC Takumar of my Spotmatic F but not bad for 55 years old camera !

Asahi Pentax S3 01 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

Asahi Pentax S3 02 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

Asahi Pentax S3 03 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did a VIDEO on this S3 showing how I renovated it and some actual Old PRINTS taken with it -- you can see it here :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5GYIlVvg_s

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely thing! Nice that the camera works again. Like 1 small

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: An 'Old Friend' back again ! Reply with quote

pentaxpete wrote:
I got back an 'Old Friend' the other day -- my ORIGINAL Asahi Pentax S3 bought for £87 in 1961 in a Camera Shop in Barking, Essex !! I had sold it to a bloke over 30 years ago and he said " It was not Working any more" -- when he brought it round it looked Very Sad -- the lens was COVERED in DUST ! I cleaned up the body with Cotton Buds ( 'Q-Tips' for you Yanks -- but we still LOVE you ! ) I brushed off the lens dust and cleaned with lens fluid and tissues and it was NOT SCRATCHED !! Then I took off the base-plate and with very small amount of Sewing Machine Oil lubricated all the Cogs and Levers -- then gently wound on and LO !! and BEHOLD !! It creaked into life again !! I took a few frames on Fuji Acros processed in my Home-Made Microphen at different shutter speeds and mostly at full aperture and shutter seems accurate -- lens is a bit 'soft' at f1.8 compared with my Super-Takumars and the 50mm f1.4 SMC Takumar of my Spotmatic F but not bad for 55 years old camera !

That's a nice story!