Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

An evening walk with Asahi Takumar 2.4/58
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blazer0ne wrote:
Quote:
Co-assembly
When two lens types were in co-production the train of serial numbers moves between alternating batches until the required quantities of each is made, or parts are no longer available. On certain occasions to complete a batch when supplies of parts were exhausted an alternative part has been used deliberately, or in error. Other types of irregularities do occur, some intended and some not.

​A special case of co-production occurs when a model is upgraded. Alternating batches of the old and new models are created until the transition is complete. Some interesting effects were produced under arrangements in play. It is not known if more than one assembly line existed. A single chain serial assembly is assumed.

Interesting! This product method would be very fashionable and green in today's standards. Not a prototype, but a limited run mashup saved from the expense of a recycler or land fill.

This would certainly explain a situation where they took a blank name ring sized for a 55mm f2.2, which has a different cone shape and depth than the heliar version, and engraved upon it 58mm f2.4.

Thanks!

also from https://takumarguide.weebly.com/takumarology.html
Quote:
Takumar 2.4 / 58mm
In 2017 members Pentaxforums found several aberrant lenses (SN 154623, 154662) in the “final” batch of approximately 100 lenses (see lens page) of the Takumar 2.4 / 58mm as it was being discontinued. It is suggested copies were assembled using bodies from the other more popular lens with which it was being co-assembled. (An assembly line cross over?) It seems the correct Heliar bodies were unavailable at the time or in very short supply because their manufacture had ceased. Only 3 single lenses follow this “final” batch (see lens page). The lenses were destined for export, having single distance scales calibrated in Feet, an important goal for the company at the time.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the 58/2.4 m42 is a Heliar unless you have the 'bad luck' to have A 55mm F2.2 Five element Takumar instead. These are actually more rare. I saw a Asahiflex with 58/2.4 go today for $20 less than what I paid for it on Yahoo.jp. No guarantees about their condition of course but these lenses were extremely well built and haze and fungus are often not very detrimental as long as it is not too bad. The m37 versions are all silver which is pretty nice looking and no worries about them being Heliar or not.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding some "new old stock" shots coming from September. This time I haven't tweaked luminosity and contrast values in colour shots, in order to preserve the natural character the lens gives. In some cases I just pushed a bit saturation what seems to me going in the direction of film feeling. In BW conversion contrast/luminosity was tweaked, which is natural in such cases.

As it was already noted in discussions here, Heliar is an especially interesting lens for golden hour of the evening glow. My walk seems to well confirm such an observation, stretching the fortunate moment also to night light.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:14 am    Post subject: Lovely Lens Reply with quote

I absolutely love this lens and the quality of the images it produces. the 2.4 is next on my wish list.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to hear, SunnyChap. Following the discussion output here, with an M37 silver version you'd have no doubt in getting a Heliar design. It still worth noting that its adaptation is a kind of PITA if you don't use a custom helicoid.

I think the lens could gain pretty much from using a hood which I haven't used yet. Even if stray light may add some nice atmosphere, like in this case (the same place as on #2 of the previous set, but there I avoided the stray light, so the difference in contrast is pretty clear).

When there is no stray light, the rendering is pretty amazing in terms of sharpness and colour rendition, including the normally difficult night light situations. There are some CA for sure, but not that much as one might expect from an old single coated lens which was not necessarily intended for shooting in colour.

The next two shots have no PP, just resized.