Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

An easy way to salvage underexposed digicam photos
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: An easy way to salvage underexposed digicam photos Reply with quote

I accidentally bumped into an easy way of getting quite reasonable B&W photos out of even very underexposed digicam shots. I was post-processing some of the photos I had taken in the very dimly lit Uspensky Cathedral and while working in LAB space I noticed that the L layer presented an almost normally exposed B&W image. Here is the tell-tale shot, first in colour:

then the L layer:

Having noticed this, I dug up some old photos taken with a Sony DSC-F505 and started experimenting. Here is a representative image pair, a photo taken without flash in a candle-lit restaurant:

The original seems almost hopeless, but the B&W version is quite OK for many purposes and , IMHO, much preferable to a photo taken with flash:

The procedure is very easy: 1) convert into LAB space and 2) delete the A and B layers leaving just the L layer. That's it unless you want to adjust the black level or contrast, but that isn't usually necessary. It couldn't be much easier or faster.

More digicam examples at http://galactinus.net/vilva/retro/lab_bw.html

Veijo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the LAB-mode is really useful (also for sharpening problematic pictures).
Noise is clearly visible, but it resembles the classical film grain which kind of suits a b&w shot well.

Thanks for posting.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I really should upgrade from PSE2..... Laughing

Thanks for the heads up. Cool

I've converted problematic colour images to B&W in the past with good results but obviously not using this method as PSE2 doesn't have LAB mode.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Yes, the LAB-mode is really useful (also for sharpening problematic pictures)

Suitably sharpening the L layer gives a lot of punch even to the Cooke photos, here is a 5D crop after slight L layer USM:

Veijo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
Looks like I really should upgrade from PSE2..... Laughing

Thanks for the heads up. Cool

I've converted problematic colour images to B&W in the past with good results but obviously not using this method as PSE2 doesn't have LAB mode.

Get GIMP, it's free,

Veijo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Veijo wrote:
Get GIMP, it's free,

Just have.... Cool

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try gimpshop:

http://plasticbugs.com/?page_id=294