Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

An Abridged History of Topcon Cameras
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:27 am    Post subject: An Abridged History of Topcon Cameras Reply with quote

Happy New Year fellow forum members,

This one has been a long time in the making, and I'm delighted to finally share the first part in my video documentation of Topcon cameras.

https://youtu.be/CsYbvniACtw

Chapter 1 begins with production of Tokyo Kogaku's first rangefinder camera, named the Lord.

The creation of this video and series came about from research when putting together my review of the Topcon 58mm F1.4 lens. Notably, I discovered a tremendous number of inaccuracies and gaps in historical information.

With what few publications there are on Topcon cameras now long out of print, and with many of the once relevant internet links now defunct, I took it upon myself to fill in the pieces and present to all for posterity.

Seemed like a good idea at the time, yet turned into an epic undertaking with a script now so long that it could warrant publication in its own right. Countless hours of research that I fear likely to be of interest only to the most discerning camera aficionados.

Most grateful for any feedback or words of encouragement to continue in this endeavour and upload the next chapter.

Extending best wishes to all and good health and happiness for 2024.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff! A lot of effort went into that video.
Very interesting, and thanks for sharing.

Like 1 Like 1

-D.S.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: An Abridged History of Topcon Cameras Reply with quote

DURLACHER wrote:

This one has been a long time in the making, and I'm delighted to finally share the first part in my video documentation of Topcon cameras.

Chapter 1 begins with production of Tokyo Kogaku's first rangefinder camera, named the Lord.

The creation of this video and series came about from research when putting together my review of the Topcon 58mm F1.4 lens. Notably, I discovered a tremendous number of inaccuracies and gaps in historical information.

With what few publications there are on Topcon cameras now long out of print, and with many of the once relevant internet links now defunct, I took it upon myself to fill in the pieces and present to all for posterity.

Seemed like a good idea at the time, yet turned into an epic undertaking with a script now so long that it could warrant publication in its own right. Countless hours of research that I fear likely to be of interest only to the most discerning camera aficionados.

Most grateful for any feedback or words of encouragement to continue in this endeavour and upload the next chapter.

Your videos - including this one - have already been talked about here. Really excellent stuff! 👍

I admire the effort you put into this, it really shows. Also really liked your previous videos. Unfortunately it seems like I currently lack the ability to digest such an amount of information in video form... So with these kind of historical topics, I'd personally prefer a written article to go through at my own pace, but - given the emphasis on video during the last decades - I'm probably in a minority there.

Anyway - awesome work!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DURLACHER,

Such great information on the Topcon story. Any idea when Chapter 2 might be completed and posted. I have a couple of Minion A's, a Topcon 35A and B, and some 35S and L's.
Not sure if you'll reach into the time period before the SLR's?
Kindest Regards,

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: An Abridged History of Topcon Cameras Reply with quote

simple.joy wrote:
DURLACHER wrote:

Your videos - including this one - have already been talked about here. Really excellent stuff! 👍

I admire the effort you put into this, it really shows. Also really liked your previous videos. Unfortunately it seems like I currently lack the ability to digest such an amount of information in video form... So with these kind of historical topics, I'd personally prefer a written article to go through at my own pace, but - given the emphasis on video during the last decades - I'm probably in a minority there.

Anyway - awesome work!

Many thanks for the positive feedback, very much appreciated and motivating. Well noted on request for a written article, this should be something I can put together fairly easily. It’s something I’ve been contemplating given the extensive amount of information included on some of the slides which appear on screen for just a few seconds. I’ll aim to put supporting text together following completion of my current project / video.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hilltime wrote:
DURLACHER,

Such great information on the Topcon story. Any idea when Chapter 2 might be completed and posted. I have a couple of Minion A's, a Topcon 35A and B, and some 35S and L's.
Not sure if you'll reach into the time period before the SLR's?
Kindest Regards,

Thanks so much for the positive feedback, a lot of work went into the research - intended for a very specific audience. Chapters two, three and four are written already - war time production, post war minion and 35’s and TLRs - a lot of fascinating information. Just need to finish off the accompanying graphics which is quite time consuming. And have been a little distracted with research and a review of the Kilfitt Makro Kilars - hoping to have the video finalised in the next couple of weeks - it should be a good watch, discovered a lot of information in research that appears mostly unknown to the community.