Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

AMAR/S 4,5 105mm made in poland (my new 105 tele)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject: AMAR/S 4,5 105mm made in poland (my new 105 tele) Reply with quote

this lens is an enlarger but i like it a lot as tele and macro..

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, I like these shots, very sharp, is this an M39 mount lens? What cameras are you using it on and how did you mount it to be able to focus?

I have some very nice Rodenstock and Schneider M39 enlarger lenses, only way I can figure ou to mount them is bellows.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have an tubes that can focus for example it can be 5cm-15cm long..
and this enlarger is m42

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr.volkan wrote:
i have an tubes that can focus for example it can be 5cm-15cm long..
and this enlarger is m42

Ah, that tube sounds perfect, exactly what I need.

Would you mind posting a pic of the tube, I have never seen one before.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great samples, I like a lot the rendering on your pictures and indeed very sharp! Let us see what look like your lens Wink ...
Thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: here the lens amar photo by silver industar 50mm 3.5 Reply with quote

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very sharp , very good shoots!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely done!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou for the pics of the lens and tube. You have inspired me to dig out my 100mm Schneider Componon-S and fashion a mount for it now.

Did you buy the focusing tube or is it a home made creation?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought it .20 euro.better than many epuipment

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, I shall have to keep my eye out for on of those tubes, exactly what I need.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr.volkan wrote:
I bought it .20 euro.better than many epuipment

does the tube have a specific brand? 20€ sounds good.
i have an amar 105/4.5 too, but mine looks different (First lens on this pic http://www.polskieaparaty.republika.pl/obiektywypowiekszalnikowetradycyjne.htm#amar3.jpg).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also interested in focusing tubes. If I search eBay for FOCUS* TUBE* -AUTO* or for VARI* EXTENS* I get hits only on rather expensive hardware. Expensive for me, anyway. It's the same if I search for FOCUS* HELIC* -- a couple are available at ~US$100, too much $$$ for me, and nothing in the range I especially need for my Schneider Betavaron, from around 30mm to around 50-70mm. Why are focusing tubes and helicoids so rare and costly?

Meanwhile, there are various ways to focus a non-focusing lens. The most obvious: Bellows. On my Pentax K20D, with any of the M42 or PK-mount bellows I use, most enlarging or other non-focusing lenses longer than 80mm can reach infinity focus. I do not know what the cut-off would be for Canon EOS mounts and bellows. But EL's around 100mm should be well-suited for bellows.

Another way: Mount the lens on tubes, to an approximate distance for whatever photography you want, then slightly loosen the lens or tubes to reach the desired focus. This is a bit klutzy -- and don't loosen too far, or you will lose the lens! Yet another way: just mount the lens on tubes with a comfortable fixed-focus distance. I use some 75mm lenses with focus fixed to 1.5m-2m for portrait-size work.

Besides EL's (Ooh! I won a Leitz Varob 50/3.5 yesterday for just US$15!) and scavenged MF folder lenses, I also use projector, copy, and others that lack both focus and aperture, so they are always shot wide-open. Some projector lenses have rough focusing tubes, and the focus tubes can also be scavenged from broken projectors. If that tube has a base diameter around 36mm-41mm, an M39 or M42 adapter will mount directly on the camera. If the base diameter is larger, up to ~58mm, I'll glue a macro tube section to the body and use the tube mount as an adapter.

An important detail: USE A HOOD! Projector and EL's etc are not meant to be aimed into light sources! They probably don't have advanced coatings. So a hood is necessary unless you REALLY want a soft low-contrast look.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RioRico wrote:
I am also interested in focusing tubes. If I search eBay for FOCUS* TUBE* -AUTO* or for VARI* EXTENS* I get hits only on rather expensive hardware. Expensive for me, anyway. It's the same if I search for FOCUS* HELIC* -- a couple are available at ~US$100, too much $$$ for me, and nothing in the range I especially need for my Schneider Betavaron, from around 30mm to around 50-70mm. Why are focusing tubes and helicoids so rare and costly?

Probably because there were not many manufacturers in the past (AFAIK, only Pentax and Olympus made them) and because nowadays the only non-chinese one available (Zoerk) sells for more then the double of the price you found ... Don't forget that these are almost specialized hardware ...

Edit: just forgot that i bought a Leitz OTFZO (or something similar) for about 20 euros ... Something like that could do the job really well ...

RioRico wrote:

An important detail: USE A HOOD! Projector and EL's etc are not meant to be aimed into light sources! They probably don't have advanced coatings. So a hood is necessary unless you REALLY want a soft low-contrast look.

Yes, usually they are not coated at all since they are not meant to be used for capturing images ...

I just hope that the price of enlarger lenses will not raise too much because of this thread, i have been able to collect several (+10) enlarges lenses for less that what i spent for my first Flektogon 35/2.4 four years ago Wink ...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it wierd that ebay is full of cheap and nasty 30 quid bellows from China in whatever modern fitting you like but no focusing helicoid tubes.

Enlarger lenses are cheap but people have already caught on to them and they are attracting plenty of bids now, luckily I got mine before the fuss started, now even crappy Wray Supars and attracting a few bids.

I have these:

Schneider-Kreuznach Componar f/5.6 75 mm M27
Schneider-Kreuznach Comparon f/4 50 mm M39
Rodenstock Rodagon f/5.6 80mm M39
Schneider-Kreuznach Componon f/5.6 80 mm M39
Schneider-Kreuznach Componon-S f/5.6 100 mm M39

I also have a set of M39 bellows but I haven't got round to trying it out yet. The Componons will be the best quality probably as they are 6 element plasmat types (ideal for macro which is why I bought them) whereas the Componar and Comparon are simple 3 element triplets. Not sure what the Rodagon is.

After seeing this thread I'm definitely going to get out and about with the 80 and 100mm. I have been looking for a 150 but the one I see most often is the Rodenstock Ysaron and it doesn't often go cheap because people want them for large format work.

I need to find some hoods to fit my Componons, for the time being I'll have to improvise with some cardboard methinks because I don't think these lenses are coated.

That's my Componon-S 100mm on my KMZ bellows, not ideal for handholding!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just occurred to me that with the long barrel thread on the back of that Componon that if I got some M39 tubes they would work as a focus mount because that barrel on the back of the lens would allow about 2.5cm of movement back and forth and that should be enough for general shots.

Now, where to find some M39 tubes? Got plenty of M42 ones and they are pennies on ebay but M39 tubes seem pretty rare, only ones I've seen were Leitz ones and expensive.

Don't suppose anyone has some M39 tubes they would part with?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M39-M42 adapter rings are dirt cheap. Screw (and maybe glue) adapter into M42 tube, screw Componon back and forth as needed. Easy.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RioRico wrote:
M39-M42 adapter rings are dirt cheap. Screw (and maybe glue) adapter into M42 tube, screw Componon back and forth as needed. Easy.

Good point, even better I have a 4.5cm long tube that has an M4 mount on the back and nothing, just bare end of tube at the other, just epoxy the M39 ring off the front of one of the broken Zenits I have et voila, I just made a custom mount. Right, I'll dig out the epoxy and will snap some shots when I'm done!

The Componon-S is the top of the range of Schneider enlarging lenses I think so for the 4ukp inc shipping I paid for the lens plus about the same for the reduction ring I should have a nicely working 100mm Schneider lens. That's a lot cheaper than buying a 100mm Schneider in M42, just hope it works.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one today also, 1,50 USD Smile

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of these lenses. Didnt even try it as it looks so ugly and cheap.

But you convinced me to give it a try.

These are great shots

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good results indeed.
Also a neat solution those focosing tubes.. Cool Never saw before.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Ooh, I like these shots, very sharp.

+100 !

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I use for my enlarging lens, more compact than a bellows and tubes can be used to make it longer. cost about £21 inc postage from Roxsen
Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some shots with the AMAR/S 105 with my helicoid solution on NEX-6