Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Albinar ADG 135mm f/2.8 varisoft lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 12:27 am    Post subject: Albinar ADG 135mm f/2.8 varisoft lens Reply with quote

Testing out the Albinar ADG 135mm f/2.8 macro focus lens - a similar one was sold as a Sears also. The lens has a 'macro zone' where the front of the lens rotates out in addition to the normal focusing collar. This was sold as a 'macro' feature that goes to 1:5 maximum magnification.

Of course the real use of this control is as a variable softness control - cranking it out adds spherical aberration. They probably would have made more money selling these as varisoft lenses - and they certainly would be worth more than the $9.99 I spent (In my defense, I got a 52mm rubber hood and a Hoya filter in the bargain).

This flower shot at the normal setting f/2.8.

flowers softest f/2.8 by Nesster, on Flickr

This flower shot is at the 1:5 setting f/2.8.

flowers softest f/2.8 by Nesster, on Flickr

Fertility rabbit at softest setting f/5.6

Fertility Rabbit Softest by Nesster, on Flickr

Fertility rabbit at mid-soft (1:6) setting f/5.6

Fertility Rabbit Softer by Nesster, on Flickr

Fertility rabbit straight f/5.6

Fertility Rabbit Straight by Nesster, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice lens to play with. The softness is more created buy losing contrast then sharpness?

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is the spherical aberrations start to take over - e.g. the white daisies in the flower pic take on a glow. Probably affects contrast as well. With the rabbit I'm thinking the spherical aberration makes the whole pic look rounder...

These weren't optimal test shots - I was shooting Ferrania 400 in a Nikon FE, really testing out the camera (I'd put in some new light seal) before daughter takes it. But I figured why not test these out (the Soligor T4 vs Nikkor 105 test, with a Folding Pocket Brownie, did NOT come out at all)...

I'll try this with the digital cam some time, maybe the effect will be more pronounced.

Here's some talk about the Sears version:
http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/51676-sears-mod-no-202-magic.html