Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Advice needed: dirt or fungus?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Advice needed: dirt or fungus? Reply with quote

I've got a CZJ Sonnar lately and discovered some specks (light blue) with surrounding rings (dark blue) in the front element and inner element (or backside of front element). They are only visible from certain points of view... difficult to capture. As far as I can see these are not just air bubbles. On the other hand there are no fungus-like structures (fingers or tendrils).

What do you think: fungus or just dirt?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think not fungus due to location, shape and distribution. Lack of structure typical to fungus does not support it either.

Looks more like splashes of oil or splashes of some liquid. Could lens have stayed in very hot place and melting lubricant dripped onto lens element? Do you know if lens has been opened and cleaned with liquid at some point?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lens cleaning liquid easily going into a lens and left this kind of trace path.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:
I think not fungus due to location, shape and distribution. Lack of structure typical to fungus does not support it either.

Looks more like splashes of oil or splashes of some liquid. Could lens have stayed in very hot place and melting lubricant dripped onto lens element? Do you know if lens has been opened and cleaned with liquid at some point?

No clue if it got hot or has been opened. Some lubricant is visible on the lens barrel near the aperture ring. Maybe you are right.

Curious is, that there are specks on different lens elements. If it is melted lubricant wouldn't it dripped only on the lens element next to the aperture?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gonzoo wrote:
there are specks on different lens elements. If it is melted lubricant wouldn't it dripped only on the lens element next to the aperture?

Good specification. Indeed it does not sound like melted lubricant. Maybe more like lens cleaning performed to less than satisfactory standards. Effect on images likely is more psychological than affecting technical quality, judging by the looks.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imperfections in the coating(s) ? Just a guess.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to get a closer view with a handheld retro 50mm Smile

Any idea?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be coating defect?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBaker wrote:
Could it be coating defect?

For me it looks more something on the lens surface than damaged coating.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had similar marks on a Zuiko 50mm F1.8 which cleaned up fine once I had dismantled the lens to get to the inner elements.

I thought they were small fungus spots Confused

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Î would suppose that are traces of dried cleaning liquid, perhaps some dust or small defect of the coating in the center.

The fungi I saw looked different: http://www.4photos.de/camera-diy/glaspilz.html

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I wondered about the missing tendrils too.

I hope its just dried cleaning liquid!