Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Adjust infinity focus on Tamron SP 300 5.6 (54b)?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Adjust infinity focus on Tamron SP 300 5.6 (54b)? Reply with quote

Does anyone know how to adjust infinity focus on Tamron SP 300 5.6 (54b).

As it is now, I can reach perhaps 300 meters. I may be due to a bad adaptall-2 to sony adaptor that may be to thick. But if it is easy to adjust the infinity focus on the lens it will save me trouble and cost of trying different adaptors.
How far would you set the infinity, 300m, 1000m or the moon?

Before I change anything I shall double check with tripod and less atmospheric disturbances.

/T

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something wrong there that for sure , do you have an other adapter and matched film camera ? I had many Tamron tele lense including this one , several copies, none of them have problem with infinity. I suggest to test with genuine Tamron adapter before open it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Something wrong there that for sure , do you have an other adapter and matched film camera ? I had many Tamron tele lense including this one , several copies, none of them have problem with infinity. I suggest to test with genuine Tamron adapter before open it.

I have no original adapter to test with. Probably there is nothing wrong with the lens. Perhaps I don't have to do anything at all, or is this below what I shall expect (no sturdy tripod and mirror lock up problems).
SP 300 5.6 at f/11 and cheap Kenko 1.7 TC.

Just cropped, not resized if opened in native resolution.

/T

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TC also can degrade image quality well.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamron adaptall SR-T adaptor is quiet rare.

I heard the performace of Kenko 1.7x is bad so it should work better with the 01F or 200F.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yepp, the TC is perhaps not the best. But I'm not absolutely shure if it is a Kenko (it just looks like one) it says only M-AFi 1.7X TELEPLUS SHQ on the body.

I'll post an infinity image later without TC.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you think. Is the infinity allright or to close?

Click on it for better judgment.
The chimney and TV antenna are perhaps 200meters away. The Electrical wires running across the image (in height with the tree tops) are at most 500 meters away. The houses in the background are approximately 1500 meters away.

Shot with f/11 I think and no TC of course. It seems to me that the focus point is on the electrical wires. But the hot air distortion makes it hard to tell how well the background is focused. I have not succeeded to take any image without hot air distortion, perhaps I shall wait until evening, but then it is so dark and I have no appropriate tripod for longer exposures.

BR
/Tobbe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Result is quite crap ,this lens is lot sharper. How it is perform in 10-20m distance ?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Result is quite crap ,this lens is lot sharper. How it is perform in 10-20m distance ?

I would say rather good.

Here are some PS fixed and resized samples (the infinity shot was JPEG straight from camera).
Click on them for best IQ.

20 meters f/8 hand held. Some PF fix in highlight edges

10 meters f/8 hand held. Some PF fix in high lightedges

5 meters f/8 hand held. PS levels, contrast and sharpness.

5 meters edge sharpness f/8. PS levels, contrast and sharpness.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another pic on infinity VS 200 meters.

The message board is 200 meters away and the Globe arena in the background is 4.5 Km away. F/11 and mirror lockup.
(Click on it for best IQ)

I just discovered that mirror lockup improved IQ quite much, but I had no solid camera support. I tried to get a picture in cooler weather with less heat disturbance, but still very blurry background due to this (or can it be spherical aberration or camera shake?). But the question is still, do I need to fix infinity focus, or is this good enough? I'm not used to long range photography and don't really know what to expect.

Last edited by torbod on Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like it's performance at infinity and closer ones also looks so-so to me, if you not shoot with that at infinity (I guess not) Enjoy it instead of hunting how to fix it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I don't like it's performance at infinity and closer ones also looks so-so to me, if you not shoot with that at infinity (I guess not) Enjoy it instead of hunting how to fix it.

Well, thats always a good approach. I was planning on using it for more moon shots though, thats why I like it to perform good at inifinity Smile
Otherwise it is quite neat as it is.

BR
T

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think for moon shoots mirror lenses are perfects, sell this one and buy Tamron SP 500 or an MTO Russian 500mm lens. They are very sharp at infinity and longer is better in this case. I had all and I kept an MTO 500mm f6.3 huge!!! Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imho, the actual pixels moon photo is typical for 300mm lens, using 1.7x TC, no-tripod, no-mirror-up, no remote, and with non-optimal seeing.

In my experience focus adjustment is different between subject at 10km and another at 5km. Even the Moon is not quite at infinity focus(!).

To test infinity focus use a bright star such as Sirius; turn camera display brightness down, allow eyes to adjust to darkness (fill with rhodopsin!) for at least 15 minutes before try.

With stable tripod, mirror up, remote release, make photos wide open, f/8, & f/16; other photos with slowed shutter speed for 'star trail'.

There should be only minor change in sharpness stopping down. Properly exposed 'star trail' should appear as thin line at infinity focus.

(for star trails try ISO 800@f/5.6, ISO1600@f/8, with shutter speed long enough for trail, some seconds, for 300mm probably 10-15 sec to cover frame)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for all input. I'll have to wait for better weather for a clear night sky.

However. I bought a used tripod today and tested a quick shot through my window. F/11.

The railway is 300 meters away, and I didn't have to turn the focus dial to max to reach there. Which was very much easier to notice with a sturdy camera. As I have always thought there is nothing wrong with the lens. Just better support, mirror lockup and the results shall be great.
One great thing I noticed, although overcast there is no PF or CA at all, not even at some faster aperture stops.

I'll try to catch something further away tomorrow to see where the limit is with my A2 adapter combo.

Tripods seems to be a great invention. why didn't anyone tell me before Wink

/Tobbe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha at the beginning I didn't like much tripod, now I have at least 5 Smile
from vintage to carbon fiber legs. Tripod is essential accessory, shows really how serious you are Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Hahaha at the beginning I didn't like much tripod, now I have at least 5 Smile
from vintage to carbon fiber legs. Tripod is essential accessory, shows really how serious you are Laughing Laughing

Aaah, bummer. I like to travel light... Wink

The tripod will increase the geek-factor seriously. My neighbors already shout "Hey you forgot the camera" when I don't bring it outside.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, latest update. I woke up at 2 AM when my 2 years old son started to scream (hungry, nightmare or whatever...). I put him in bed again and looked out the window. Wow, no clouds and a bright nice moon.

I got the tripod and the T300 again with the 1.7TC. I have sanded down the thickness of the A2 adapter and now I can perfectly focus at about 1 km. I shall continue to sand it down further to get perfect infinity focus eventually. However, with the current state the moon turned out like this. A great improvement Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

torbod wrote:
Well, latest update. I woke up at 2 AM when my 2 years old son started to scream (hungry, nightmare or whatever...). I put him in bed again and looked out the window. Wow, no clouds and a bright nice moon.

I got the tripod and the T300 again with the 1.7TC. I have sanded down the thickness of the A2 adapter and now I can perfectly focus at about 1 km. I shall continue to sand it down further to get perfect infinity focus eventually. However, with the current state the moon turned out like this. A great improvement Very Happy

Nice shot - especially when half awake! Smile

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, right! Very well done!