Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Adapting a Photosniper to a Canon EOS, by Thierry Hacquard
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Adapting a Photosniper to a Canon EOS, by Thierry Hacquard Reply with quote

Hi.

In this very beginning of 2013, I'm very happy to bring MFLenses' members a link to a very good site made by a french passionate of Zenit and russian photo equipment.

Thierry gave me its consent to bring his work here.
He translated his pages in english during last months.
Please, feel free to comment his work, here or on his blog site. He lacks feedbacks of any kinds.

In particular, he made a non destructive adaptation of the photosniper to a Canon EOS :
http://t.hacquard.free.fr/site2/sniper_1_en.html

and of a release cable on a photosniper :
http://t.hacquard.free.fr/site2/sniper_decl_en.html

Here is the link to his site's "do-it-yourself" part which includes a lot of interesting topics :
http://t.hacquard.free.fr/site2/bricolage_en.html

and the sitemap with some nice cameras' servicing step by step :
http://t.hacquard.free.fr/site2/sitemap_en.html

The Homepage :
http://t.hacquard.free.fr/site2/accueil_en.html

and his main collection site :
http://t.hacquard.free.fr/site1/accueil_en.html

Please, if you have any comments, questions, recommandations, better translations, you'll be very welcome by Thierry !

Last edited by Olivier on Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really interesting! Thanks for posting the links.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome.
Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:19 am    Post subject: seems dangerous to me Reply with quote

i would be frightened to come out with that rig in nyc. id get shot by police on sight. no questions asked.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did something very similar. I used it in the middle of town, and although I had a very Jobsworthy old boy complaining, the police officer told him to stop being so silly... A rare dose of common sense.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: Photosniper Reply with quote

I have been using my own converted Photosniper gear for couple of years and love it to bits! i shoot mainly wildlife/birds with mine and even works well with a Tamron 1.4x teleconverter for more range.
If you look on Flickr's Photosniper groups you will find loads of my work + instructions on my conversion.
Cheers
Brian

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I converted mine for Pentax MESuper with the winder, that needed to do some cut to accomodate the taller camera.
I still use the lens with my Canon 5Ds

SdP

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian,

Could you give us a link ?
It would be very appreciated. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NewStuff wrote:
I did something very similar. I used it in the middle of town, and although I had a very Jobsworthy old boy complaining, the police officer told him to stop being so silly... A rare dose of common sense.

A wise policeman, indeed. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: My conversion Reply with quote

Try this,
http://www.flickr.com/photos/39613787@N05/sets/72157625933303733/

if you also look at my bird shots there's loads taken with the Sniper rig Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Photo-Sniper Reply with quote

Its nice to adapt this 4,5/300mm Sniper on an digital camera.

But I guess that the optical quality is not as good, to invest all this adapter works!

But this my personal guess only!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Photo-Sniper Reply with quote

OPAL wrote:
But I guess that the optical quality is not as good, to invest all this adapter works!

what are you talking about? photo sniper tair is among better 300mm/4.5 lenses around

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samples from the Brussels 1958 version : Tair-3A
It is said to be less sharp than the 300-s or Ph-s.

http://forum.mflenses.com/tair-3-grand-prix-brussels-1958-4-5-300mm-t24853,highlight,%2Btair+%2B3.html

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: seems dangerous to me Reply with quote

probe rok wrote:
i would be frightened to come out with that rig in nyc. id get shot by police on sight. no questions asked.

Don't use it down town.
Try it near the airport aiming for some planes. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Quality Reply with quote

There's no problems with image quality with the Tair 300mm's like most manual focus lenses you need to persist and learn how to use them to get the best out of them, its no good just taking a few and then deciding they are crap.......... stick it on a tripod and experiment with settings you will soon find out how good they are.
One thing i have noticed is they don't like polarising filters Surprised i have tried cheap ones and expensive ones on the Tair 300mm and IQ always suffered. I also use Vivitar 2x m42 teleconverter but best results are with the Tamron 1.4x EF Teleconverter.
They are superb for video too.
Everyone should at least have a go with a Photosniper/Tair 300mm before discounting them as just a novelty as the front focusing on the lens is very easy to use and other lenses should have had the feature, not as odd to use as you may think.
Cheers
Brian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well said, Brian.
I agree completely with your words.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Quality Reply with quote

Jethro Tull wrote:
There's no problems with image quality with the Tair 300mm's

I think he was talking about it being frightening to look at, not the image quality. I have a Tair 300mm (actually courtesy of someone on this forum) and I don't use it in a sniper setup for precisely this reason, especially living in USA ... I typically mount the Tair directly to a monopod and go with it from there. This lens really has feel. It's imperfect but in a good way -- results are superb from an artistic standpoint, and the bokeh is really nice with so many aperture blades, something you seldom find on even many top-of-the-line modern lenses. Not to mention Tairs are dirt cheap on the used market. Only downside is it's heavy, but I'm going to need my monopod for any 300mm lens anyway so the lens weight is not a big deal for me. Also not to mention the genius dual 1/4" - 3/8" fixing screw on my Manfrotto monopod works directly with both my camera's standard 1/4" tripod screw hole as well as the 3/8" screw hole on the Tair itself, no conversions or collars needed to switch back and forth! I'm definitely more than happy with mine.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rifle stand!

From top:
Tair 3A, on Samsung NX11 (mirrorless, live view, APS-C sensor)
Tair 3Phs (FS-3), modified for electrical shutter-release, on My Canon EOS 5d (Mk1), with EP-EX15 eyepiece extender.
Tair 3S (FS-12), modified with a release cable, on a Minolta X-300 (the socket for the release cable is on the side of the lens mount of this camera). I bought this FS-12, in a battered suitcase without camera, for 35€ (45$) one year ago.
Complete FS-12 with Zenit 12s, bought last sunday for 60€ (78$), complete, like new, with the Helios 44M-4 lens.

Last edited by Thierry Hacquard on Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:07 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thierry Hacquard wrote:
Rifle stand!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Thierry.
Nice to have you here, my friend ! Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello! Good to see you here, hope you will enjoy the stay Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello guys!
As you can see, the others make photos with their lenses, and I... make photos of my lenses!