Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Adapter: Adaptall-2-EOS? or M42? for the Tamron 85-210 f4.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: Adapter: Adaptall-2-EOS? or M42? for the Tamron 85-210 f4.5 Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I grabbed a bargain Tamron 85-210 f4.5 (QZ-210M) )(macro version) this week off fleaBay (£12 great condition with case) ... nice lens btw ... reminds me of my old Minolta Beercan F4 ... anyhow it's the one discussed here

Damn I cant post a URL ... the whole page has a link lol ... but it's this thread ... Tamron bbar 85-210mm f/4.5

I curently use (because of the lack of knowledge at the time) an FD-EOS EF adapter on the telephoto but obviously you lose a stop or more? because of the glass that's inside the adapter, along with other issues due to the correcting glass not being great? ...

Please bear with me ... my understanding is: by using an Adaptall-2-EOS or an Adaptall-2-M42 would eliminate the loss of light? and give me back the original f4.5 of the telephoto? ... below is my guestimation ... how far out am I? ...

By using the Tamron-M42 adapter: No extra glass but introduces another adapter, an M42-EOS EF to the system ... is there an advantage in using this one? ...

By using the Tamron-EOS adapter: No extra glass but you can also get AF Confirm versions of these adapters ... is there a disadvantage? ...

Is there anyone out there who already has a similar setup? and uses these 2 types of adapters? ... and what are your thoughts on which adapter would be better to purchase? ...

Great forum btw ... been lurking ... though I'd best register Wink ...

cheers,
Gem

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't post any links or images in your first post,its an anti spam feature that works very well. Very Happy You can put the link in now if you would like.
I will leave the question for someone who has your same set up.Welcome to the forum and enjoy your stay...we were all lurkers once. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adaptall-2-EOS doesn't contain any glass.. so no loss of light.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gem,

Welcome to the forum and answering your questions:

1. Tamron-M42 + M42-EOS - this setup would no need extra glass as well as direct Tamron-EOS. Both solutions allow you to use actuall f/4.5 stop of light.
2. By using adapter with glass you're loosing a lot of quality (and I really mean a lot) and one stop of the light is not your main problem Wink. Try to keep to lenses/adapters which don't need glass to achieve infinity on EOS (like M42, P/K, OM, Nikon F, C/Y and probably Leica R)
3. I also have a few adaptall-2 lenses and EOS body. I bought on ebay adapters Tamron to EOS from seller Roxsen. I actually could honestly recommend the seller, but those adapters are not the best solution in my opinion.
When I'm using it with my Tamron 02B 28mm, everything is fine lens locks like it should, but on Tamron 01A 35-80mm it will not lock properly with the lens, so I need to look out to not to take off the lens while setting focal length. Obviously it's not a good solution. I ended up using Tamron 01A with original Tamron-M42 adapter and then "Big-Is" M42-EOS adapter. I don't know if the problem lies on the lens side or on the adapter side, but the lens locks fine with original adapters. I'll try this adapter with my other adaptall lenses and write about results.
Nevertheless I prefer to have a few original Tamron adapters from adaptall-2 to M42, P/K or OM, because sometimes I use those lenses on film cameras.
In short words: In my opinion original Tamron-M42 and M42-EOS is more reliable solution and M42-EOS adapters are cheap as peanuts.
4. You wrote something about AF confirm, well if you want to use focus confirm I would suggest buying adapters with EMF Confirmation chip, which allows you to set focus confirmation microadjustment within adapter. From my experience, some lenses confirm focus straight away on perfect spot, but most of them need a little microregulation to adjust focus confirmation. I know you could do micro regulation in some Canon bodies, but on my 600d it's impossible, that's why I prefer EMF chips. What's more, you could write into the chip focal length and max aperture of the lens, so those values will show in EXIF files (another useful feature in my opinion).
5. In connection to focus confirmation... I was thinking it's good idea and it would work great, but well... truth is, it's not a reliable solution. All in all I ended up with focusing on LiveView with LCD Loupe for better camera stability and better view in strong light. In addition I installed Magic Lantern for Canon firmware which gave a few useful features when manually focusing (like 5x or 10x magnification when you press the shutter button halfway). This is reliable an almost 100% sure way of focus for me.

Good luck!

Mateusz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mo ... thank you ...

Cheers for the confirmation Tedat ...

Phantom ... thank you ... and thank you for the valuable information ... you have answered what I needed to know as well as confirmed some of my thoughts ...

1. Excellent, I hoped that was the case ...

2. Yes that extra bit of glass is a pain ... and yes frustrating knowing it does effect the quality of your shot ... I am always watching out for those makes of lenses (from way back when I had my Sony DSLR) ... but your added info regarding those make of lenses that DO NOT need the extra glass correction (in the adapters) is great ...

3. Yes I know Roxsen and BIG-IS suppliers ... and yes I can see issues arising with the cheaper adapters NOT locking properly ... agree they are cheap as chips I have quite a few M42-EOS's Confused ... not bad for £3 inc p+p (I buy from Ireland now) ...

4. I may still try the Tamron-EOS with AF Confirm ... but I hear what you are saying regarding the accuracy ... and yes I did find the EMF version ... I already have an M42-EOS AF Confirm, which I find works well but I needed to find out if adding this along with the Tamron-M42 would put things out of focus or perspective (the added thicknes of the adapters)? ... obviously it doesn't? and glad to hear you use that setup ... so I may be able to save some money there for now, until I can grab some genuine Adaptall-2 adapters ...

Regarding point 2. above ... with the older Canon made FD lenses ... you 'still' need that adapter (FD-EOS) with the extra glass to get infinity, so there's definitely no way around that? unless you do macro work and get the adapters that have no glass, which then renders that great lens useless for anything else ...

So ... Is that the main reason why you, yourself (and others) tend go for those other makes of lenses (you listed above)? even though the older Canon lenses can be great, if not better? ... in other words there's a trade off? ...

Thanks again for the information, much appreciated ...

cheers,
Gem

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO it's best to get a Tamron -> Eos adapter. Personally I found a SP 17mm went from unusable to (just) acceptable on my FF Eos when I got a Big_IS Tamron -> EF adapter after trying to use a C/Y Adaptall with a Cy -> Eos.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Tamron made EOS-M adapter but it is hard to find another one now. The adapter from Big_IS may be a solution for you.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for the extra input ...

I shall experiment now I know the directions to take ... I just didn't want to spend loads of Dollar on stuff that didn't work as I'm new(ish) to the Canon/Tamron old lenses ... Sony DSLR/Minolta Lenses was my bag before Canon ...

cheers,
Gem

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gem,

Of course, get Tamron->EF adapter and see for yourself, maybe it will work like a charm, I just wrote what I encounter about one of the lens not locking properly Smile.

About Canon FD lenses, here on forum I saw some stunning photos made with those lenses, but mostly on mirrorless cameras. However I know that some of them could be converted to EF and will work without any additional glass or adapters, but this require some tampering and changing the mount. I'm not an expert on the topic, so you better look or ask someone here for detailed info, but as I find out is that cost of the lens + adapting to EF was too expensive for me.

For me I would not even consider using any lens with additional glass adapter. I would use the lens for macro work or buy other lens, there are numbers of great lenses you could choose from.
It's hard to name the best ones as it's impossible without knowing focal length you would look for and amount of money you would like to spend. For reasonable amount of money (for me it's up to €40-50 for manual lens) you could buy great Takumar, Pentax, Olympus, Nikon, Vivitar, Tokina, Kiron, Tamron or many other lenses. Of course even the best manufacturer made a few totally terrible lenses Wink, but good habit is to look for samples, ask here and than buy, not the reverse Very Happy.
This forum is priceless mine of information, samples and opinions. Look at Best of Lens sub-forum, ask on manual focus lenses about recommendation for that price, that focal length and that camera mount and you would get really great response.

Cheers
Mateusz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant ... thank you Phantom ... I shall take your advice onboard, as with the others that have replied ...

Now I need to trawl through some of the threads on here ... Wink ...

cheers,
Gem