Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Aaaaagh, i need your help ...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:30 pm    Post subject: Aaaaagh, i need your help ... Reply with quote

Hi all,

A friend of mine borrowed my Flek 20/2.8 and managed (apparently, trying to remove a filter he screwed in) to unscrew the whole optical group from the lens, which means that now i have my lens in two parts: the barrel and the inner optical group ...

I survived the choc (with my friend retaining me from strangling him), and now i'm stuck with the lens (i had a link on a Flickr set with the service tutorial, but the owner seems to have removed the pictures) ...

Anyone knows where to start to rebuild it properly ? Do i have to disassemble the focusing barrel, or i can try to screw in the optical group ?
The technique i suggested to another owner a few time ago (simply screwing in the optical group) doesn't seem to work well (i was thinking i fixed mine, but maybe it wasn't) ...

Thanks in advance to all for your replies ...

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, can you just screw it back in? If so, and you have incorrect focus (e.g. won't reach infinity or will go over it), unscrew again and try again; you need to put it on specific threads to get the same focus.

(This is just speculation based on general experience, not this particular lens.)

Last edited by Arkku on Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol@
Quote:
I survived the choc (with my friend retaining me from strangling him)

I do feel sorry for you.

I am sure you've seen this if its even similar I dont know
http://www.kolumbus.fi/uusilehto/img/lenses/zeiss/disass/

In this -looks like the focusing barrel has to come off and the front assembly unscrews from the aperture and rear cell. If yours is similar looks like the front assembly has to to screw back to the aperture and rear cell first , and then the focusing barrel screws back on last.

I have not personally opened or closed one of these before myself.
Regards

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel your pain ...no more loaning out your lens??

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkku wrote:
So, can you just screw it back in? If so, and you have incorrect focus (e.g. won't reach infinity for will go over it), unscrew again and try again; you need to put it on specific threads to get the same focus.

(This is just speculation based on general experience, not this particular lens.)

When I accidently unscrewed the front element(s) off my Flek 20/2.8, screwing it back caused infinity problems. The fix was to loosen (or was it tighten?) the infinity stopper screw, rotating an internal part that's normally blocked by it (of course first to the wrong direction Wink ), fixing the screw again and then reassembling the objective. The image quality improved greatly.

My hypothesis is that in the CZJ factory they had this lazy assembly worker who, instead of bothering to adjust the infinity properly, just screwed the front piece a bit loosely on. This hypothesis would explain the rather drastic differences in peoples experiences of this lens when used wide open. I wonder, if this copy of the original poster is also one which doesn't deliver as much as expected (especially wide open)?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Arkku wrote:
So, can you just screw it back in?

Yes, now that i remembered/noticed that the optical group screws in counterclockwise Embarassed now i can ...

Of course, i have to fix it now for infinity focus Evil or Very Mad ...

Kathmandu wrote:
I do feel sorry for you.

Me too ...

Kathmandu wrote:
I am sure you've seen this if its even similar I dont know ...

Yes, but the lens assembly seems to be not the same Crying or Very sad ...

Mo-Fo wrote:
I feel your pain ...no more loaning out your lens??

Niet, not even my Primoplan 50 ...

Anu wrote:
When I accidently unscrewed the front element(s) off my Flek 20/2.8, screwing it back caused infinity problems. The fix was to loosen (or was it tighten?) the infinity stopper screw, rotating an internal part that's normally blocked by it (of course first to the wrong direction Wink ), fixing the screw again and then reassembling the objective. The image quality improved greatly.

Do you have a photosequence of the service ?

Thanks to all for your replies ...

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dino, I've had this lens apart but I don't have any pictures. If the front lens block has simply unscrewed it shouldn't have affected infinity focus and you can just screw it back in.

Infinity focus is adjusted with the filter ring and I fear your friend has probably turned it when he was trying to unscrew the filter. The filter ring is clamped by a large screw ring like a lens ring. It has two notches and has to be tightened with a lens spanner. The annoying part is that the front lens block has to be in place in order to check the adjustment, and this makes getting at the notches very awkward. You need the type of spanner with the points closer together so that they can reach under the large front lens (I hope you understand that!).

I think maybe you should screw the lens block back in first and check infinity focus. With some luck it will be OK. Smile

I haven't fixed mine yet. I'll try and take some pics for you later this evening. I don't have time right now.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter,

Thanks very much for your precious hints ... I will try to fix the lens this sunday (i fear i will not have the time to do it before) ...

It would be very nice if you could post some pics while fixing the lens ...

Many thanks again

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Say to your friend he has to buy you a new lens at least in the same condition than yours, and you left him your 20/2.8 parts Razz