Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A7r: Sony's evil plan
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: A7r: Sony's evil plan Reply with quote

Be warned:
The A7r is an evil plan by Sony to sell batteries Laughing

I'm pretty spoiled by using Canon 5D Mark II batteries (LP-E6), two at once in the grip.

Canon LP-E6: 77g, 1800mAh
Sony NP-FW50: 57g, 1080mAh | Sony fake batteries: 37g, supposedly 1500mAh (not true)

As you can see, the difference is pretty dramatic.
The Sony battery is also a lot smaller in physical size.

It is not realistic to expect much more than 150 shots out of each battery charge with the A7r.

This is going to become a real issue for me outdoors.
Using 4 X Canon LP-E6 I could make it for 3-4 days in the forest, shooting as much as I like (e.g. 2000 shots plus some video).
This is NOT going to happen with the A7r.

The problem is exacerbated by the fact that the original Sony battery is way TOO expensive.
If you find a good alternative to Sony original batteries, let us know!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I needed a spare battery for my NEX 5 and was also dismayed at the price of a genuine Sony, so after a lot of research I bought a Bluemax 900mAh which is slightly lower in capacity to the Sony at 1080mAh, and I thought it would be the 83% less 'powerful' than the Sony. But it isn't, it lasts about 1/3 of the time / shots of the original Sony.
It's OK as a backup, but no good as the main battery. I shall buy another Sony or at least get another one with the same rating.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sony made me not buy a genuine battery, for the first time ever Very Happy

I have tried 2 or 3 not genuine Sony batteries.
Avoid the ones claiming to have 50% more mAh than the original battery.

I have ordered one of these, which seems promising.
http://dx.com/p/fw50-compatible-7-2v-1020mah-replacement-battery-pack-for-sony-nex-5c-nex-3cv-a55-a33-59555

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting link, I like the discount and free postage, I'm sure duty and tax will be non existant on this purchase.
I've ordered to 3rd party batteries already but they are 7.4 volt and 1500 milliamps so I'm not expecting much. If they don't do the job properly I shall give your suggestion a go. Thanks for the heads up.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 spare batteries for my NEX 5 and they last way longer than the Sony. So much so that the Sony is used as a spare. My Nikons have 3rd party batteries too. I was unaware there were issues with 3rd party product until I came to this forum.

Never had a problem myself.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turn on flight mode and disable the automatic image review function to extend battery life. I bought a cheap ExPro battery from amazon, and matching charger. They both work very well (and charge much faster than with the crappy ish charger).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
I have 2 spare batteries for my NEX 5 and they last way longer than the Sony. So much so that the Sony is used as a spare. My Nikons have 3rd party batteries too. I was unaware there were issues with 3rd party product until I came to this forum.

Never had a problem myself.

Same here, no problems with either of my third prty batteries for NEX-3 or the third party Canon and Nikon batteries either.

The A7 and A7r are not intended to be pro cameras so the lack of high capacity batteries shouldn't surprise anyone.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
The A7 and A7r are not intended to be pro cameras so the lack of high capacity batteries shouldn't surprise anyone.

What constitutes "pro", is a matter of definition.
For my style of photography, the A7r is pro enough.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of years ago I bought a couple of noname replacement batteries on ebay for I think around 3€ (with free shipping!). They claimed to be 1500mAh but were physically a little lighter so that can't possibly be true. They didn't last appreciably less in my NEX-5 though, I'd say they were about equivalent to the original. For 3€ a piece!

The problem was when I bought a NEX-6. It refused to work with those fake batteries. It turns on, everything looks like there's no reason it shouldn't work, but then after a couple of seconds the camera says the battery isn't genuine and then refuses to work. So yes, Sony is evil. In every new camera they make they put in extra hardware and/or software to make sure your 3rd party batteries won't work and you'll be forced to buy originals at 20x higher prices. Bastards!

Btw, it's the same story with chargers. Newer Sony chargers refuse to charge many non-original batteries.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly, the no-name batteries I bought two years ago for my NEX-5N, work fine with the A7r.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was informed by the FUJIFILM Service, that These Kind of batteries, generally reach their fully capacities, after 6-8 recharging cycles.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understood that as long as they were not completely discharged and flat they could be used for a lot longer. Their life is only short or of limited use once you start discharging them completely before re-charging.
Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it true that the A7r takes 3 seconds to start ?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

memetph wrote:
Is it true that the A7r takes 3 seconds to start ?

Bullshit. I just tried it.
I have been using a 5D Mark II for more than 5 years.
The A7R does not startup any slower. I would have noticed it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikos wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

What constitutes "pro", is a matter of definition.
For my style of photography, the A7r is pro enough.

First thanks for the info. I was worried . I bought my A7 today.
"Pro" is professional : you earn your living with your camera.
Pro is not better. Pro is no risk, all weather conditions......Pro is often no fun too.