Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

a recipe for penetrating oil
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: a recipe for penetrating oil Reply with quote

I've been struggling with removing the tiny screws on a donor lens, trying to salvage the M42 mount for another lens.

WD40 didn't help much so I googled "penetrating oil" to see what I should look for at the hardware store. Among the links (mostly car enthusiast sites) I saw several references to using a mixture of half acetone, half automatic transmission fluid. Supposedly a machinist magazine ran a test a few years ago, and this atf/acetone mixture works better then the commercial penetrating oils.

Well I happened to have the ingredients so I mixed up an ounce and dabbed a drop on each screw. ZIP! After half an hour soaking the screws came out quite easily. I don't know if it's better then commercial penetrating oil but it definitely works in a pinch.

I'm told the acetone evaporates fairly quickly so this would be something to mix as you need it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before using that on a good lens, know acetone dissolves paint easy.

Neat wintergreen oil is major ingredient in some penetrating oil blends. A favorite is "Marvel Mystery Oil" Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm didn't someone say Coca Cola is VG.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PlusGas Formula 'A' works well for me but sometimes requires 24 hours to soak in.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD 40 is rubbish as a penetrating oil, I always use PlusGas - but it might be a UK product ?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
WD 40 is rubbish as a penetrating oil, I always use PlusGas - but it might be a UK product ?

The clue's in the name WD for Water Dispersal. 40? Well it might take 40 minutes to do anything.
PlusGas has a lovely American 1960's ring to me but that don't help.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD40 isn't a great lubricant or penetrating oil, but it does have the advantage that everyone already has a can kicking around!

I'd think Coca Cola would also be hard on paint, but haven't tried it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just use household oil mixed with lighter fluid.

I've heard that WD stands is good for wasp stings.

Some history......
http://www.wd40.com/about-us/history/