Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A good 500mm mirror lens dilemma?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:01 am    Post subject: A good 500mm mirror lens dilemma? Reply with quote

Hello,

From what I read on the internet there are two mirror lenses that offers acceptable image quality at a reasonable price (150-250USD), an adaptall Tamron 500/8 lens and a M42 MTO 500/8 lens. If there are others in the same price range please tell here. Welcome Turtle
For the MTO lens there are two versions one with a weight of 650gr (say portable version) and another one of 1250gr which I would not find so easily place in my photo bag, but it has included a lens hood and tripod mounts on the lens body. Thes two variants are optically the same?
What lens do you suggest? I think I prefer MTO but I'm not clear which option would be most suitable, as using heavy version is best for included tripod / monopod mount and hood but 650gr option would be more in the photo bag. That is the dilemma Question
My cameras are Pentax DSLRs, in this moment.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For just a tiny bit more you can have the Minolta Rokkor RF 500/8 which is good, basically the same lens as the Leica version.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own both. Bought them for capturing the Moon.

Tamron SP 500mm f/8: Two versions, first 55B, comes with a tripod mount. Second 55BB, doesn't. But the second version has a revised mirror design to correct some distortion. The Tamron is a truer f/8 compared with t/8. It's brighter than the Russian MTO.
The resolution is very good.
Can be found for ~$100 USD in USA.

I have an updated MTO called the (ZM)3M-5A MC. The diameter is smaller than the Tamron, but it is noticeably sharper. The Russian lens is a Maksutov design with a meniscus front element. I detect a chromatic aberration at the edge of the Moon. Whereas the Tamron has none.

Yes, it's heavy due to the brass. Not a problem on a tripod, but hauling it will be more of a burden. But it's very solidly built, and I enjoy it a lot. The integrated lens hood is useful, and it doesn't use plastic like the lightweight later one.

There is a thread for 500mm+ lenses with sample photos. You can find my photos from each in there.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pontus wrote:
For just a tiny bit more you can have the Minolta Rokkor RF 500/8 which is good, basically the same lens as the Leica version.

That is a good suggestion. Samples I've seen have impressed me more than any other mirror lens.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Pontus wrote:

That is a good suggestion. Samples I've seen have impressed me more than any other mirror lens.

But it isn't a practical suggestion for the OP, as he is looking for a mirror lens to use on a Pentax DSLR. The Tamron and MTO lenses can easily be used on Pentax K with the matching adapter, but Minolta SR mount isn't easily adaptable. You may be able to swap mounts a la LeiTax, though, as the mount doesn't have any aperture linkages, I've read about doing so with their Minolta 250mm RF Rokkors.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for Tamron especially if you are in US.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have got a Tamron, Canon FD and Minolta AF 500 mirror lenses, and briefly had a Samyang. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Tamron, it's a very good lens that compares very favourably with the Canon and Minolta.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sharpest 500mm mirror lens is the Rubinar 500mm f5.6 (note note f8 ). This beats my Olympus OM 500mm f8 and the Tamron 55B (except at close focus where the Rubinar is weak). Although the f5.6 Rubinar is not so common, I would have thought it will be within your budget.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for answers and suggestions. I'm from Europe (EU). Unfortunately from USA I have avoided buying lenses lately because of the high price of the shipping plus the new eBay extortion with Global Shipping Programme.

Talking again about lenses. What is the focus throw for Tamron and for MTO?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamron is just about 360deg.
However because of the compact design I think all mirrors are very "twitchy" focus - in and out of focus very quickly with small movements, few mm. it's been very noticeable actually that the old 500mm f8 preset t-mounts I've been playing with are easier to focus than the tamron 55BB (thats on my NX20 btw, 7x evf mag and vf doesn't get dull, auto compensates), although not as sharp.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolta 500/8 is a very good lens, I had the AF Sony version.

Some samples in this thread http://forum.mflenses.com/minolta-rf-rokkor-500mm-f8-used-on-aps-c-mft-ff-sensor-t71129.html

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tamron has a very good focus throw, very usable. Which was the opposite of the Samyang which was so quick it was difficult to focus. My Minolta is the auto focus version but can be used manually, and that is OK. I think the Canon FD has the longest throw of all my mirror lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you should consider an APO 400mm F5.6 lens of traditional design. With a small crop the reach can be made equal to that of a 500mm lens, but with a gain of at least one stop.

The mirror lenses had a relative popularity in the '70s, but after that virtually all the world's great lens manufacturers have abandoned the mirror lenses. Believe me, it was not without reason.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: A good 500mm mirror lens dilemma? Reply with quote

edri wrote:
Hello,

From what I read on the internet there are two mirror lenses that offers acceptable image quality at a reasonable price (150-250USD), an adaptall Tamron 500/8 lens and a M42 MTO 500/8 lens. If there are others in the same price range please tell here. Welcome Turtle
What lens do you suggest?

I recently bought a Minolta RF 8/500mm for CHF 60.-- / EUR 55.-- / USD 65.-- here in Switzerland.
The lens is in a "like-new" shape, and i've used it for some work in the mountains, together with my A7 II.
A few remarks:

1) The lens is extremely small and lightweight (600g and 98mm long - a mere 65g and 10mm more than the MD 2.8/135mm!)
2) On analoge SLRs it is extremely difficult to focus
3) On the A7-series one really NEEDS the A7II stabilizer; otherwise focusing is VERY difficult
4) One has to be VERY careful not to screw up the initial focusing: if I SLIGHTLY touch the focus ring after the initial focusing, a VERY small movement of the focus ring will cause de-focused images
5) weird bokeh
6) no CAs and very good detail resolution also in the Full Frame corners (better than the Minolta MD 5.6/400mm APO!!)

In my next posting i will add a few "high res" (3000 x 2000px) if i manage to upload them.

Stephan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the OT but do you own the Minolta MD 5.6/400mm APO? I had one but it wasn't good. The lens looked brand new but I was never happy with the performance. Do you like yours?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some A7II Full Frame images taken with the Minolta MD 8/500mm RF:

http://artaphot.ch/minolta-sr/objektive/371-minolta-500mm-f8-rf

The original A7 images (4000 x 6000 px) were re-sized to 50% (3000 x 2000 px), but they still an idea about the quality of the Minolta MD 8/500mm RF lens.

Greetings, Stephan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pontus wrote:
Sorry for the OT but do you own the Minolta MD 5.6/400mm APO? I had one but it wasn't good. The lens looked brand new but I was never happy with the performance. Do you like yours?

I don't own the lens, but i have taken images with a "like-new" MD 5.6/400 APO. The first time the images were looking terrible - but later it turned out that mainly air turbulences !!

The second time i used the lens (perfectly stable on two points), i zoomed within the A7 viewfinder, and it was striking to see how buildings were bulging in an out, roofs were moving around and changing their shape ... all because of the air moving!!

That's quite tricky (same thing of course with the RF 500mm). If the air is clear, the 400mm APO is quite OK. Not as good as an MinAF 2.8/300 APO G HS, but MUCH better than both the Minolta MC 4.5/300mm and the MD 4.5/300mm (IF).

Stephan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: A good 500mm mirror lens dilemma? Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

I recently bought a Minolta RF 8/500mm for CHF 60.-- / EUR 55.-- / USD 65.-- here in Switzerland.
The lens is in a "like-new" shape, and i've used it for some work in the mountains, together with my A7 II.
A few remarks:

1) The lens is extremely small and lightweight (600g and 98mm long - a mere 65g and 10mm more than the MD 2.8/135mm!)
2) On analoge SLRs it is extremely difficult to focus
3) On the A7-series one really NEEDS the A7II stabilizer; otherwise focusing is VERY difficult
4) One has to be VERY careful not to screw up the initial focusing: if I SLIGHTLY touch the focus ring after the initial focusing, a VERY small movement of the focus ring will cause de-focused images
5) weird bokeh
6) no CAs and very good detail resolution also in the Full Frame corners (better than the Minolta MD 5.6/400mm APO!!)

Stephan, that's a very nice find for that price. The capricorn is an excellent example.

Actually I can confirm what you are stating here. It's a bit tricky to use and it takes some experience to use it correctly.
However, the possible image quality is rather stunning. There is no doubt about that. For me it's a real keeper, although I've paid a little bit more for it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Russian mirror has a focus throw similar to the Tamron, about 340-350 degrees.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm ... I understand that even with a generous focus throw the focus is not too accurate. I have two other mirror lenses a 500/8 and a 300/5.6 with shorter focus throw. I thought that 340-350 degrees focus throw would be a clear improvement.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerald wrote:
Maybe you should consider an APO 400mm F5.6 lens of traditional design. With a small crop the reach can be made equal to that of a 500mm lens, but with a gain of at least one stop.

The mirror lenses had a relative popularity in the '70s, but after that virtually all the world's great lens manufacturers have abandoned the mirror lenses. Believe me, it was not without reason.

Perhaps I needed this post. Smile I already have a 400mm lens (Tamron). I think I managed to win a battle with LBA ... the war, I know, I have no chance. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the DOF is so paper thin, that it still takes effort to get focused with the Tamron or the Russian ZM-5A MC.
Ultimately, mirror lenses would benefit from finer focus adjustment.
Inherent to its design, the contrast is lower than conventional lenses. Another negative trait, fixed aperture (normally).
But one can still achieve a good image.

I bought them for one purpose, astro-photography. Low cost to more focal length.
But I reach for my 300-f/4 and 400-f/5.6 refractors for almost everything else.

You're not going to see much gain if you already have a decent 400mm in real world usage.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few comments to add:

I own a Tamron 55BB and I find it to be one of the sharpest mirrors I've ever come across. As for its focus throw, yes one must be conscientious when focusing, but using it on my NEX 7 with focus peaking and display magnification, I find it to be not difficult to find "true" focus. My only complaint about the 55BB is that Tamron, in its finite wisdom, decided to eliminate the tripod mount. The Sony NEX 7, unfortunately, has a very flimsy tripod mount, so when I go to focus with this Tamron, the image bounces all over the place. Fortunately, it's a Tamron, and fortunately adapters for the Sony mirrorless cameras are now available with built-in tripod mounts. I've ordered one for Canon FD -- which hasn't arrived yet -- and if it works well, I'll be ordering one for Nikon mount also. So anyway, this should take care of the wobble during focusing.

As for its lack of contrast, I'd agree that this is a characteristic of any folded optic mirror because of the intruding central element, which blocks light from the primary and causes the "donuts." But it is a matter of degree. In fact, one of the things I like best about my 55BB is its relatively high contrast, especially for a mirror. For example:

Century Precision Optics 500mm f/5.6 @ f/8 and Tamron 55BB:
[/img]

And here's the Tamron 55BB alone. It really compares very favorably with my very contrasty CPO 500.

SXR_Mark commented that he owns the Rubinar 500mm f/5.6 and that it's an excellent lens. This lens is made by Samyang. The Samyang 500mm f/8 is not a good lens, but the 500mm f/5.6 and 800mm f/8 (they both share the same barrel and their mirrors are just ground differently) both can be outstanding performers. The biggest problem associated with them is lack of quality control. I purchased a Samyang-made 800mm f/8 and did so based on many sharp images take with it I found on the web. Unfortunately, I had to return it because it was impossible to obtain a sharp image with it -- and I tried, believe me, I tried. So I would recommend the Samyang-made 500mm f/5.6 or 800mm f/8 only if it comes with a good return policy.

A lens which hasn't been mentioned here, and which unfortunately can be subject to quality control issues as well, is the Sigma 600mm f/8. This lens is very stoutly made, has an excellent tripod mount and has about a 350 degree focus through. I purchased one new in 1984 for Canon FD and was always very happy with the resolution it provided. I sold it several years later when I switched systems to Nikon and EOS. Several months ago, I came across a deal on one of these Sigmas in EOS mount (relatively uncommon) for a good price, and I bought it. Only to discover that it is not nearly as sharp as my old one was. Its sharpness is barely "acceptable." So, I would recommend buying the Sigma only if you can return it if you're not happy with it. But if you get a good one, it can be an amazing lens.

Taken during the mid-1980s. Fujichrome 100. Sigma 600 with Canon F-1. If you look closely at the out of focus highlights, you can see the donuts. Very small and unobtrusive.

Here's another. Same film, same camera, same lens:

And another -- taken with a Canon A-1 and Kodachrome. Same Sigma lens.

Here's a 100% crop of the above image:

So anyway, if you get a good copy of the Sigma 600, you've got an outstanding lens.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It won't help the OP, but I thought I would throw another kudo to the minolta af 500. I have it and took it with me to Africa and it compared reasonably well to the 70-400 G. Not quite as sharp but way lighter and smaller and a little bit more reach. I got mine "as is" cause it lacked the filter frame. (any one got one?) Supposedly wouldn't work without it, but covered it with black tape and a flat black sheet of thin aluminum and it works just fine.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SXR_Mark wrote:
My sharpest 500mm mirror lens is the Rubinar 500mm f5.6 (note not f8 ). This beats my Olympus OM 500mm f8 and the Tamron 55B (except at close focus where the Rubinar is weak). Although the f5.6 Rubinar is not so common, I would have thought it will be within your budget.

This is beat all what I did try as well.