Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A budget optical viewfinder
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:01 am    Post subject: A budget optical viewfinder Reply with quote

Not applicable to manual focus but I expect a few of us dabble with autofocus compacts. A long time ago I made myself some optical viewfinders for my Panasonic GF2 out of old film compact optics grafted to a hotshoe foot, The results were rather ugly and I resolved to make something a bit better. The result is

https://www.polaroidblipfoto.com/entry/2005300488244824292

Other colours are possible Razz

What do you think? Would it be worth my time to make a batch for sale, I have some suitable donor cameras stockpiled or could supply the shell to DIYers.

Tony

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good, the old 35mm compacts aren't wanted any more and are worthless, the charity shops are throwing them away now.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a cheap one from the finder of a camera it has bright line frames for 35mm lens. I tidied it up and glued a hotshoe protector on to it. Painted silver its fine for my use. No 3d printers.

Does your finder gives the correct field of view on your crop camera?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it gives a good match for 35-40mm effective focal length. Although there are 28mm film cameras their viewfinders are not much wider than the commoner 35mm FL and were no doubt designed on the basis that it was better to have a bit of extra space than cut off someone's head. There is a bit of a perimeter around the brightlines for lenses wider than 35mm.

Tony

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was getting so fed up with reflections on the rear screen of my GF2 that I purchased a used EVF for it.
Ever since the sun's kept away while I have the GF2 out - not the outcome I was planning on!

Something like this could have been a good compromise, except I often shoot odd focal lengths, adapted lenses, and IR...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the bright line round mine is well within the frame. It'd probably do as a 28mm at a pinch. I hadn't thought of that.

Thanks for the idea!!

Since I started using rangefinders I've been looking for a reasonable budget finder but they are so expensive! This was made to work with a 35mm lens I'd adapted to M39. Then two weeks later I got a proper Leica finder as part of a lens bundle including a 35mm lens. Happy days. But to be honest this is smaller and is nicer to use. - not squinty.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
Since I started using rangefinders I've been looking for a reasonable budget finder but they are so expensive!

Yes I thought that the manufacturers were seriously taking the pi$$ asking more for a couple of plastic lenses than they once did for a whole film camera with a better viewfinder in it. Hopefully there may be a number of people who think the same as you but want a more off the peg solution. Rather discouragingly despite 150 views on the m4/3 forum, no comments Sad

Having made the first one now I can see I need to make some tweaks to the design to make it easily adaptable to a range of VFs and I've a little idea to keep it more secure in the hotshoe.

Tony

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mzsupa5 wrote:
... I've a little idea to keep it more secure in the hotshoe. Tony

Me too, a small piece of paper tucked under it! Laughing

oh, yes and to add to a further comment I made, the finder here is perfect for 28mm, the bright lines for 35mm.