Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

5D and 20mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:53 am    Post subject: 5D and 20mm Reply with quote

I finally did it, bought the old Canon 5D Very Happy Goodbye Sony.

First I need to buy some adapters M42 to EOS, any recommendations?

I also need a 20mm and I have been looking on the kit: Click here to see on Ebay.de
Is that the same lens as a flek or....?
Other recommendations please?

How can I tell what lenses I can use without having problem with mirror?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!! Prakticar 20mm is same lens than M42 Flektogon.

Adapter Prakticar EOS

http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/photobits42__W0QQ_armrsZ1

compatibility chart.
http://www.panoramaplanet.de/comp/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: 5D and 20mm Reply with quote

lahnet wrote:

First I need to buy some adapters M42 to EOS, any recommendations?

I also need a 20mm and I have been looking on the kit: Click here to see on Ebay.de
Is that the same lens as a flek or....?
Other recommendations please?

How can I tell what lenses I can use without having problem with mirror?

this price is ok ... but if you are only after the 20/2.8 ... look further, sometimes the PB 20/2.8 will be avail for less than 200 eur.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henrik, a 5D lens mirror compatibility list is here

http://www.panoramaplanet.de/comp/

I've had the 5D since it came out, it is a superb camera, congratulations on your choice.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: 5D and 20mm Reply with quote

lahnet wrote:

Congratulations!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks the list is most useful.

I can see that I have some lenses that will be impossible to use, without shaving the mirror.

Helios 44M-4 58mm
Mir 1B 2.8/37
Carl Zeiss Flektogon Zebra 2.8/35
Super-Takumar 1.4/50

They will be up for sale/change and I will be looking for 20mm, 28mm and 35mm from the list.

I will make a post in the right forum later but if anyone is interested in above please let me know.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 35mm get an f2.4 MC Flektogon, they are all superb. I regularly use mine for stock library photos and the images routinely pass the most rigorous inspection. I don't think I've ever seen a post from someone who disliked that Flek.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulC wrote:
For 35mm get an f2.4 MC Flektogon, they are all superb. I regularly use mine for stock library photos and the images routinely pass the most rigorous inspection. I don't think I've ever seen a post from someone who disliked that Flek.

I dislike it, because it is overpriced everytime I see it. Wink

I mean, if I see a Flek 2.4/35 for a price I can get a Leica Elmarit-R 2.8/35 for - I know which one I take...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all 2.4/35 Flek have to be superb. I had already two with optical mistakes.

But another two (one of them I own) are outstanding anyway. The Flektogon fits very well for eos 5D, easy to handle and more versatile than an Elmarit.

LucisPictor wrote:
I dislike it, because it is overpriced everytime I see it. Wink
I got the Flek for under 50 EUR - not easy to deal with a Leica ...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
I dislike it, because it is overpriced everytime I see it.

Exactly ! It's not the lens that I dislike but all the hype that goes with it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will look for Flek 2.4/35 or Leica Elmarit-R 2.8/35. I think they will be the best choice in that range...or Smile

For 20mm I will go for Flek 2.8.

Regarding what lenses I can/cannot use, I must admit to be a little bit confused.
I mean some lenses I can measure/see the difference. One example is the differences between Helios 44M and 44M-4. It is actually possible to see the differences.
BUT when I look at the Zeiss Panacolar auto 1.8/50, one that shout hit the mirror according to the list....it is impossible to see any differences compared to Helios 44M, a lens that shout be ok to use.

Do I risk to damage my 5D if I decide to try them on the camera..????

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lahnet wrote:
I will look for Flek 2.4/35 or Leica Elmarit-R 2.8/35. I think they will be the best choice in that range...or Smile

For 20mm I will go for Flek 2.8.

Regarding what lenses I can/cannot use, I must admit to be a little bit confused.
I mean some lenses I can measure/see the difference. One example is the differences between Helios 44M and 44M-4. It is actually possible to see the differences.
BUT when I look at the Zeiss Panacolar auto 1.8/50, one that shout hit the mirror according to the list....it is impossible to see any differences compared to Helios 44M, a lens that shout be ok to use.

If you like flektogon 35/2,4 (like I do), perhaps you like the pancolar too.
I have both, and the differences are very subtle in the practices.

Flek is a little bit more contrast (but a very little) and a very, very little more sharp in the center.

Panc is very, very little sharp at the borders, and in the center/border is a little even in the yield of the image.

The surrender of the color is almost the same one.

And there are two details more. Pancolar is F/1,8 (more luminous with more shining screen) and, in the facts, it has lenshood built-in.

Although it is certain that flek can focus from the 19 cm., the perspective of a lens of 35 mm so near the thing, can not be as pleasant as the one from focal the longest one.

Both are great lenses.

Regards, Rino.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to be very careful which version of the Pancolar you get to avoid the 5D mirror issue. The f2 seems to be OK, but only one out of several version of the f1.8.

Lucis - Fleks do seem to be less than half the price of an Elmarit. If you've got a source of $90 to $120 Elmarits please tell me Wink

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations first.

Well, 5D mirror may hit the rear of your Prakticar 20/2.8. You might be
able to avoid "mirror hitting" by removing a plastic sheath at the end of
lens, YMMV.

5D's mirror will hit the most of Prakticar lenses AFAIK, some are OK.
So are CZJ M42 lenses, Sonnar 135/3.5 has no problem. Actually
longer than 80mm (ie. Pancolar 80/1.8 has a mirror hitting problem) are OK.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.

Still most impotent :

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lahnet wrote:
Thank you.

Still most impotent :

No, I do not think so. The rear of many Prakticar lenses has plastic
protector for lens element and dust cover I guess, that plastic will
touch the mirror first in the most of the cases. I did not see any damage
to mirror of 5D nor lenses.

ELEFOTO once converted all those Prakticar 20/2.8s
they had and still selling some left overs. These lenses did work with
my 5D (before I shaved my mirror) in Tokyo 2 years ago.

The cause (of mirror hitting) is rear cover is a little too extending to
camera's censor side. They took away the lens cover and changed
them to have EF-mount, priced to around US$600.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Henrik!

I would like to advise you trying some Zuiko wides also.
I love the 2/21 3.5/21 2/28 2/35.
All but the 2/21 can be very affordable.
I have tested all of these lenses before I shaved my 5D.
There was no mirror clearance issue using a Kindai adapter (now happypage HK sells these).

I prefer the zuiko 21 to the flek and they are about the same price.

Enjoy the Full frame Smile

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried it, but I understand that if the 5D mirror does hit anything the camera will display an error message and freeze up. I don't know if you have to do anything more than change lenses and switch the camera on and off to solve the problem, probably not, it will depend on whether the mirror returns to its normal position without any assistance.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulC wrote:
I haven't tried it, but I understand that if the 5D mirror does hit anything the camera will display an error message and freeze up. I don't know if you have to do anything more than change lenses and switch the camera on and off to solve the problem, probably not, it will depend on whether the mirror returns to its normal position without any assistance.

Get the "err" message, focus back a little, mirror releases and shot completed; if the problem is not just at infinity focus then unmount the lens.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yalcinaydin wrote:
PaulC wrote:

Get the "err" message, focus back a little, mirror releases and shot completed; if the problem is not just at infinity focus then unmount the lens.

Thanks Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy