Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

4x5 Film and Photo Labs
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: 4x5 Film and Photo Labs Reply with quote

I know this sounds like somewhat of a silly question but how does one actually give 4x5 sheets to a film lab? In other words, once both film sheets are exposed (I have a double sided film-back) what do you do if you don't have a personal darkroom lab? Thanks and sorry again for the completely inexperienced nature of this question

~Marc

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Marc
I have not sent in any 4x5 sheets for some time but here is what used to happen
I do all the B+W sheets at home and that is 99% of this format for me
The few trancperancies that I did I sent out in a prepaid mailer
The mailer had a "black bag" in the package similar to the bag the film comes in when you buy some bulk.
You transfer from the carrier to the "black Bag" in a darkroom or in a darkbag (film changing bag)
The mailer that I used had a small hard cardboard box to ship the whole mess out in.
I prepaid for ten frames and sent them all in one package
Here in my area there is no-one left doing color 4x5 Trans. or Negs
We have to send it all out
Maybe you have a lab you can send your gear in to
If you are doing B+W I would say do it at home or at a school lab
With the tank that I use for example
Once the film is in the tank proccessing can be done in daylight
(Only tank loading needs to be in the darkroom)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your input!

I think I'm probably going to try some home tray developing. I've heard relatively good things about Adorama chemicals and since they are cheaper than most I'll probably buy the standard developer (makes one gallon), stop (8 gallons), fixer (1 gallon), and maybe wash (11 gallons).

I wonder though, how much film would I have to develop to reconcile the cost of the chemicals? How many 4x5 film sheets can actually be developed with the aforementioned amounts (I just can't find a strait answer about that anywhere - though I know it varies from developer to developer)? In all it's about 40.00 bucks. Labs can do each sheet for around 3 dollars so when does it actually become worth it? I know that's quite a bit to answer but I appreciate any help. Thanks

~Marc