Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

45 bucks to spend
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: 45 bucks to spend Reply with quote

Hi there,

I've got $45 on my Paypal account (after a refund), and at this point I'm considering to buy a lens, if there's anything on eBay you people might think worth to buy for $45 Smile
The main use is for video, but I shoot stills as well. My camera is EOS APS-C. I already have several 50mm (Nikon, Pentacon, Helios 58mm), one 135mm, a Nikon 24mm.
What I really love and I'd probably be leaning toward are Cine lenses, but as far as I know they require quite a lot of work in order to get them working on EOS, if they work at all. I'm not interested in working on the lens in order to get it working, so any Nikon, M42, M39 or whatever works with a simple adapter, ad as long as the adapter is not crazy expensive (that's why I'm sticking to those mentioned above), I'm happy to buy it.

Sorry for the long introduction, I've tried to explain as best as I could my needs. So, I guess if there's anything out there with creamy bokeh as Cine lenses, or any other creamy/abstract bokeh lens, I guess possibly within 35mm/135mm I think I'm good.

Let me know if I'm requesting something impossible for 45 bucks Smile

Thanks to all!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest checking out a preset lens (clickless aperture) from old Eastern Bloc eg meyer, carl Zeiss jena (east germany), Jupiter, Tair (USSR), many good ones, a patient approach on ebay will keep you in budget.
Bengt's reviews include a video assessment, he's checked out a wide range of lenses:
http://blog.bkspicture.com/reviews.html

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you marcusBMG!

that link is really great, very useful resource!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered some close-up rings or a macro helicoid to go with the lenses that you have?
They will open up a whole new world of images.
OH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up Oldhand,

I forgot to mention I also currently use extension tubes and a reverse macro lens ring. I never tried close-up rings or macro helicoid, are they much different from my current setup?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is happening here?
I have posted replies that come back blank.
Puzzled
OH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try again.
No, they are basically the same thing.
You might like to look at a Vivitar (Komine) 200mm f3.5 lens.
These are usually very good and often within your price range

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vivitar-200mm-f-3-5-telephoto-prime-manual-focus-lens-for-Pentax-m42-screw-mount-/390883970645?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item5b02800e55

Cheers
OH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH..weird I just posted new topic and took 3 attempts before it came up.Good choice ViV 200 3.5 many blades.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Oldhand,

I'll consider the Vivitar as well!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the MIR-1B 37mm f2.8?
I'm realizing that what my arsenal is missing is a good 35 in order to get a 50mm on my ASP-C. Even though the Mir it's almost a 60mm still it is quite close. Unless I find a good 30mm... The only one I've seen on the link that MarcusBMG posted is the Meyer-optik Görlitz Lydith 30mm f/3.5: it seems a nice lens, is it slow?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mir-1 yes why not? I had an early silver M39 version for a while, I quite liked it but ended up not convinced...

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/262633-flektogon-vs-da-35mm.html#post2819527

Certainly relative to the flektogon its a bargain.

These russian lenses often suffer from sticky mechanics due to soviet "cowsnot" grease - st to ask a seller about.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mir-b is great for retro flarey video, and has preset aperture to boot! That is mainly why I bought it.
It's a good lens imo, but not easy to use for all round photography. I haven't mastered it at all, but that's not saying much. Wink

It has loads of character and if its foibles appeal to your aesthetic needs it could be a winner.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I stay within the 30mm range, I guess I can choose either the Mir or the Meyer-Optik Görlitz 30mm 3.5.
I guess the Meyer is slower, although based on bkspicture's reviews they both seem to be good lenses... probably in the end is a budget choice.

Last edited by cgustav on Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:11 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can get a soligor 28mm 2.8 nikon non ai lens

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Yahvel,

I'm looking at the Soligor, I like it!

Ok, so here's what I've found interesting so far:
MIR-1B 37mm f2.8
Vivitar 28mm f2.5
Soligor 28mm f2.8

What do you think?
I've seen some samples from the Vivitar and they look great too.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I can comment only on Mir 1B, I have 2 of them (get them for free - newer and older version). For video it could be painful to use as it has really long focus throw ~270 degrees and poor minimum focus distance (about 0,7m) I hated that lens for both of that reasons Wink. Someone on this forum commented this lens something like that: When it's good, it's great, when it's not, it's terrible to use. I might have messed something up with quotation, but you get the idea. I have done some great photos with wonderful colours with that lens, but it was always painful to use Smile.

For that kind of money I think Super Multi Coated Takumar 35mm/3.5 would be great choice (yesterday I watched one went for £32 on ebay.co.uk). Focusing Takumar lenses could be done with gentle blowing air onto focusing ring and the colours are splendid as well. It will work great under strong sun without loosing too much contrast and so on. As for clickless aperture setting, you could always take off the ball from underneath the aperture ring. It takes 352 seconds to do and is fully reversible (if you won't loose the bloody ball Wink ).

It's your choice, but if you're going to stay with Mir 1B, I recommend looking at allegro.pl - it's Polish auction site, where you could buy Mir 1B in almost brand new condition for about £8-10 + shipping.

From Vivitar 28's I had Vivitar Wide Angle 28mm/2.8 and it was...very weak, not sharp enough for me, build quality was very irritating, it delivered nice colours, but that was it. A few weeks, however, ago I bought Vivitar Close Focus (Komine made) 28mm/2.8 and this lens is different story - it's sharp, even corners on Film Camera, it's joyful to use and is nice made. It has great reputation and I completely agree with that (oh, forgot to say that I bought nice and clean one in PK mount for £8,26 + shipping).

Mateusz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if it is at all what you are looking for but you should be able to get a Yashica ML 50/2 within your budget. Sharp and contrasty with interesting bokeh. Not sure if it will fit your camera though. Also, maybe not the focal length that you are after.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered Lydith?

Well within your budget and very suitable for video (I have two, so will probably end up selling one...)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudolfkremers wrote:
Have you considered Lydith?

Well within your budget and very suitable for video (I have two, so will probably end up selling one...)

Interesting, thank you for the heads up rudolfkremers.
Have you used it for video as well?
How does it compare to Vivitar or Soligor? I know it's slower, but other than that how does it perform?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in a similar situation in the pass and luckily I won 2 auctions from a same seller from Lithuana for an enlarger lens Vega 11U 50/2.8 (macro, $1 plus $15 shipping) and Helios 44-2 ($25). Both two of them are still my favorites. And that's the point that I found myself got trapped in the cycles of buying MF lenses Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

I'm finding other interesting lenses, hard to decide.

What do you guys think about the TAMRON 28mm f 2.5 adapt all 2 and the Olympus Zuiko 28mm f/3.5?
Also, if they say "slight haze" on the glass (I can't tell from the pictures though) should I consider the bid a no-no?

edit: About the Adapt All 2, I assume even though it's Adapt All I still need an adapter, is that right?
For instance something like this? http://amzn.to/1nQKEeu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have stretched against a Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 35mm. $45 may be slightly short, but is you add a few buck you can have a wonderful lens with creamy bokeh and good working distance (20cm near focus) Wink

I have some samples here:
http://manuellfokus.no/carl-zeiss-jena-flektogon-35mm-f2-8/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgustav wrote:

What do you guys think about the TAMRON 28mm f 2.5 adapt all 2 and the Olympus Zuiko 28mm f/3.5?
Also, if they say "slight haze" on the glass (I can't tell from the pictures though) should I consider the bid a no-no?

Hi,
I have Tamron Adaptall 02B 28mmf/2.5 and it's great little lens, however I find Vivitar Close Focus 28mm f/2.8 (made by Komine) even better, especially in corners on FF.

As for slight haze, it all depends and if I can't see clearly what's what on the photo I wouldn't buy it (unless the cost would be a few quid). Of course slight haze could be easily cleaned as long as it's not between cemented elements (but I think Tamron has 7 elements in 7 groups, so there are no cemented lenses). Still, it depends on that if you want to cleaned it by yourself or just use it as it is. If I don't want to tamper with the lens I usually buy lenses in v. good optical condition, if I know I would like to disassemble the lens and clean it, I buy cheaper examples with some fungus or haze.

Mateusz