Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

400mm lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: 400mm lens? Reply with quote

I have found a Kino made 400mm 6.3 lens Dated 60's $35.00, should I pass ?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6.3/400 sounds like one of those long tube lenses.

According to what I've seen of them, not bad, but not great either, I suppose best to call them acceptable.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 400mm lens? Reply with quote

pappastratos wrote:

Depends on what you expect. $35 is cheap.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kino lens was also sold as a Soligor and doubtless under several other brand names as well. It is likely not to be the same as the countless "Wondertute" type 400/6.3 models.

Here's a pic of mine:

More Soligor lenses here:

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=33736

Performance is OK for its age, but you will need to steady a lens this long Smile I slightly prefer the Tokina 400/6.3 which gave me slightly better results:

Price is OK for this lens Smile Let's face it, it's a 400mm lens...that's cheap whatever the lens! Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Spiratone, but rear element is fogged. Cleaned element, but is fogging back.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that Soligor Graham. Cool

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

graham do you load that thing over your shoulder? Laughing here in the states we wouldnt even allow that in the country! Very Happy

heres my thought: i assume you have a 1.5 crop digicam. if so take your best 135/2.8 (200mm on crop) get a nice 2x extender (about 2" deep) and now you have a 400/5.6 you can easily carry around.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! Man up Tony! Laughing Laughing Laughing

It's a nice idea, but to get the same reach I'd need a 3x converter on that 135mm though as 400mm * 1.5 = 550mm Wink

Lloydy, it's a good performer, but with some CA. Really liked that one!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The longer the better !

Thats a nice finish on the Tokina. My version of it is in Mamiya brand, less chrome. There is also a "zebra" finish version, I think I have seen it in Taika brand.

I carry these things around San Francisco.

The general attitude is - "cool!"

The one that got the most attention was the Meyer Telemegor 400/5.5 in alu finish.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this Soligor 6.3/400

in case it's the same design, here are some samples
Handheld at 1/320, Iso 400 and wide open at f6.3

The same a little cropped

with a Kenko TCx1.4

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 400mm lens? Reply with quote

pappastratos wrote:

Do you already have a super tele? They're fun, but technically demanding.

I'd buy the Kino and try it. It's low risk, you can Ebay it for $35 if it doesn't work out.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier, yours looks like a newer Tokina auto model Smile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In T4 interchangeable mount

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, T4.
and a Tele-Auto :

sorry for dust... Smile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 400mm lens? Reply with quote

fuzzywuzzy wrote:
pappastratos wrote:

Do you already have a super tele? They're fun, but technically demanding.

I'd buy the Kino and try it. It's low risk, you can Ebay it for $35 if it doesn't work out.

No, I do not, for years & years I was a wedding photographer, all my lenses were for groups & portraits.
I said when I quit wedding photography I wanted to photo flowers & birds,,,
I really don't photo a lot anymore. I do photo a lot of sunsets on the bay & ocean, ships, cars & buildings. Anything that does not require me to say "look this way' or "smile" !!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
I carry these things around San Francisco.

The general attitude is - "cool!"

I carry a Lil'Bigma 170-500 around SF sometimes. The general attitude is... wariness.

I have the Spiratone -- had one back in the 1970s too, used on my Pen-FT. My story: I would mount the 400 on a 2x TC, and tubes, and bellows, and a shoulder stock, and take closeups of wild rattlesnakes in the field -- from a safe distance, like 3-4m. And in bright sun. I sometimes put a similar rig on my K20D, which at least is a bit larger than the Pen-FT and so doesn't look so freakish. Still, since the whole rig looks rather like a grenade launcher, I don't take it into urban areas.

I saw a Soligor on the bay but decided that since I barely use the Spiratone, a Soligor would be just too much. And I'm saving my money for stranger lenses.