Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

400 Tmax - blech
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: 400 Tmax - blech Reply with quote

I find this film troublesome - it curls length wise and bows edge to edge, even after a day of flattening under weights. And dust seems to cling to it, no amount of brushing and blowing seems to get rid of the dust.

Embarassed And, just to let you know: if you mistakenly develiop it as thought it was Ilford XP5+, you won't have the correct times... Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster,

TMY is a very different film from TX and HP5+; in fact you can say they are opposites.

TX and HP5+ are shadow-biased films: they give you extra shadow contrast while maintaining overall contrast within a manageable level, so that the highlights will not blow out. In other words, by pushing TX or HP5+ (under-exposing and over-developing) you get true speed gains: the film is faster in the camera, and faster in the tank, so to speak.

TMY is a highlight-biased film, it tries to maintain highlight details but if you over-develop it, you get very little gain in shadow details, but the highlights will get blocked up.

In other words, pushing TMY is not a good idea: contrast shoots up and you get little real gain in speed as in getting shadow details, while you lose highlight details. In fact, when you use TMY you aim to get a negative which is a little on the thin and "flat" side to produce printable results. Process it as if TX or HP5+, or aiming to produce negatives with the same appearances, you will end up with negatives which are very tough to print.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very edifying information, thank you.

Yes, the TMY negatives are thin looking but scan OK.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to be of help.

Another thought came to me: due to this characteristic of TMY, it is actually not a good film to use for reversal processing, the results would look very muddy. I found the best films for this purpose would be TMX and Delta 100.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: 400 Tmax - blech Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
I find this film troublesome - it curls length wise and bows edge to edge, even after a day of flattening under weights. And dust seems to cling to it, no amount of brushing and blowing seems to get rid of the dust.

Yep, that is a definite no-shitter young Jussi! The two rolls I shot expired in
2002 and the first roll exhibits the same problems you said above. Mad

I'm not gonna wait days to see if these straighten out, I'm scanning as soon
as they are dry. Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I have some more of that stuff... I developed a roll, it curls like Shirley Temple's hair, and is sitting under some weights now. I do hope the dust thing isn't going to be a constant, or else I have to dump the last two rolls, or pay someone else to develop the damn stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I hate curling! Wink
You can try to load the film in reverse order in to your reel. Let it rest there for at least 24 hours. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... I just bought some of this to compare with HP5.

Are we talking 120 film here?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was better in 120, the 35mm is what bugs me Wink

When it does work, it is very good indeed, the film Smile