Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

35mm on 120 backing paper
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 3:04 pm    Post subject: 35mm on 120 backing paper Reply with quote

I've been experimenting with 35mm film in my 120 cameras. I found that fixing the film evenly on to the backing paper was a bit of a nightmare, particularly with the plastic coated Ilford papers curling up and the natural curl in 35mm film. And I found sometimes the film wasn't centred on the paper properly. And it took forever, coated my film with dust and scratches. The had to be an easier way.

So I have made this (rather inelegant - but functioning) gadget that will join the two together in less than a minute. It holds the 35mm film in position, holds the curled up backing paper neatly. it took 30 seconds or less to attach the film in my changing bag.

The Ilford FP4 backing paper is modern plastic coated stuff so it doesn't rip when tape is affixed and torn off. In addition it is properly light proof and the black print on white background makes it easier to see through the little red window.

Where the original film was taped to the paper I have cut a tiny scallop out of the edge as you can see in the diagram. This allows me to feel the fixing point in the dark. A curved cut is less likely to rip the backing paper than a notch.

In use:

Thread the roll of backing paper with the 'EXPOSED' end first under the 35mm film holder, number side down.
Attach it to the takeup spool (as I have done in the photo)

Wind it on a little until you reach the part where the end of the film has to be attached. (I allow 10cm past frame 12 and have marked the paper)

Cut the leader off the 35mm film and attach it squarely to the paper with a piece of decorators masking tape.

The next part must be done in the dark. I used my changing bag.

(Make sure you have a piece of tape ready to attach the other end of the film)

Wind the reel slowly, feeling the edge of the backing paper as it winds on.

When you feel the scalloped edge stop, cut the film and stick it on with the tape. Finish winding the film onto the spool.

The spool is fuller than normal 120 film so keep the film shaded in case light gets between the rolls of paper. I use a square of aluminium foil to wrap the film.

You should get two loads out of a 36 exposure film.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bravo! Cool gadget.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did I miss this. Well figured out Like 1 .

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you can put tape to both ends. My horizons are always tilted at the end of film.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for all your effort in bringing your knowledge to the folk! Now I can imagine a word; this is one of the best ways I've come across for loading 35mm in a 120 camera!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
So you can put tape to both ends. My horizons are always tilted at the end of film.

Yes this was the purpose of my device. so the film is centred exactly

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asgam wrote:
Many thanks for all your effort in bringing your knowledge to the folk! Now I can imagine a word; this is one of the best ways I've come across for loading 35mm in a 120 camera!

Thanks. It looks crude and it is, but it does the job. I can roll a film in less than a minute.

I have made adaptors to roll onto 127 paper too. That's fiddly to load and the backing paper keeps coming out of the holder, but that will be easily corrected.

A 36 exposure roll of film will make 2 lengths of 120 with a few left in the cart for a camera test (that's what I use short ends for)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, I was trying to figure out how to do that.
I'll try, thanks for sharing Like 1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neat idea, and well executed. I have a roll of 35mm in my Pentax 6X7 right now - hope to finish it shortly. I went a slightly different route. I don't have results to compare with yours yet, but I think you might get better film flatness with your paper backing approach. I bought this kit off of Ebay to give it go - $25 USD. I am not connected in any way with the seller - just thought it was a cool idea to share.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kit is kind of a different approach. You can load a cassette to some cameras directly, but it is much more difficult to set right film advance, light leaks etc. Backing paper solves many of these problems.

I used two small glass spheres with Dacora Digna to use 135 cassette. But then I have to use some black tape and guess how much to move film for each frame.