Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

35mm F8.0 P&S lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: 35mm F8.0 P&S lens Reply with quote

Anyone interested?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/126995799/the-worlds-first-fastest-and-coolest-always-in-foc/description

Last edited by calvin83 on Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:32 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$250?

$1000 or $5000 would surely match this fixed f/8 Tessar pancake better...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For pixel-peepers f/8 would not always be in focus enough to satisfy.

35mm is much too long to do decent hyperfocal at f/8.

If you want to hyperfocal on 4/3 or Nex APS-C there are 25mm Chinese c-mounts for $30 that are excellent at f/8 and only marginally larger, with which one could do the same thing, better probably.

For A7 there are 35mm lenses of various kinds that can do this too.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not even remotely close to resembling interest, It would have to have amazing IQ rivalling the Otis 28mm for me to give up focus and aperture control. All just to turn my A7r into a smartphone camera....
I already have my Rolleistar 40/2.5 which is about as small as I'd ever really want.
My Rolleistar is the lens from a Rollei XF35 transplanted into an Industar 50, pics are tagged in my Flickr.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing i noticed: "The angle of view corresponds with your natural viewing angle."

His complete story is based on full-frame, yet he nowhere mentions it. Buyers who use a crop camera will get angle of view from a standard lens (1.5/1.6) or even a 70mm short tele (2x).

Still, amazing how many people do not seem to think about simple facts and just buy..... so many options to create the same effect, as stated above already, and most probably within your own collection of lenses.

B.t.w.: C.P. Goerz? I always wonder if old names like this can be used freely or if they really bought the rights (if that is even possible).

Cheers, René!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They say they want to revolutionize the street photography with this lens...
Well, I'm waiting for their next step: a fixed lens for the creamy-Bokeh lovers - a permanently out of focus fixed lens with a nice, creamy Bokeh all over the frame.
It will be a true revolution in lens design Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are just taking advantage of people who are interested enough in photography to want to try cool things but not knowledgeable enough to know they could get the exact same result with any normal lens. I think it's really deceitful.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very similar hyperfocal idea, but implemented with an actual aperture mechanism, going to f/64, look for

Loreo Lens in a cap
$29.95

Very Holga-ish results as one would expect with such a setup.
But priced more like the toy it is.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatdeeman wrote:
They are just taking advantage of people who are interested enough in photography to want to try cool things but not knowledgeable enough to know they could get the exact same result with any normal lens.

Exact same result with any 35mm adapted legacy lens if you tape the aperture ring at f/8 and the focus ring at whatever's hyperfocal (won't be the infinity mark).That will also be larger.

fatdeeman wrote:
I think it's really deceitful.

I don't, do people who buy a dslr without much knowledge typically trawl kickstarter campaigns or do they tend to stay with the kit lens and then get whatever Canon lens the local store will suggest they get?

I would think the USD599* suggested retail price will make people who know nothing about their interchangeable lens camera except what mount it has will either make them pause and ask a friend / local store, or, if price isn't a concern, it might actually make them take better photos.

*Wow, USD599, wow, I would much rather get the Samyang 35 2,8 even if I can't tape the focus ring (it's by-wire).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking seriously, a 35 mm. modern hyperfocal lens could be really interesting.
IMO, due to the technological advances the lens could have an inner inclination sensor and it could tilt some inner lenses to generate, due to the Scheimpflug effect, an 0-infinity DOF at all openings on the horizontal plane. The diaphragm should be closed (probably an f/4-f/5.6 would be sufficient) only to compensate for the DOF on verticals.
Or it won't even need a sensor - a "standard" tilt on V or H (automatically changed by the V or H camera orientation) + an ~f/4-f/5.6 could be sufficient.