Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

29 Versions of the 55mm Asahi Takumar M42 Screw Mount Lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I can afford a Takumi/Asahi/Takumar/Pentax lens, I'll be happy.

The markup on vintage lenses is now exhorbitant.

Not sure if i've got the brands rightly named, but it's frustrating as hell.
Takumar? Nope, you're barking up the wrong tree.
A pristine Soligor of certain vintage?
Sorry, but you're a fool.
Grab a Sigma 10-20 for a crop-body?
Sorry, but you're still a fool.

I've got a Tamron 28-80 MF lens which is all sorts of good.
It still is, and I love it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

memento wrote:
...The lens on line 25 doesn't have thorium, but the lens on line 27 has. Yet in this chart it says both have the same optical design 6/5(1) ... that's what I don't understand? Or am I reading it wrongly?

I don't have either of those; only the highlighted lens variations. The formula versions for the other lenses, including 25 & 27, are my best guesses based on dates of manufacture. If you have 25 & 27, a diopter measurement of the front elements would be greatly appreciated; lens clocks are not too expensive; the friendly neighborhood optometrist might measure them for you for free. How do u you know you have #27, and not 28 or 29?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
memento wrote:
...The lens on line 25 doesn't have thorium, but the lens on line 27 has. Yet in this chart it says both have the same optical design 6/5(1) ... that's what I don't understand? Or am I reading it wrongly?

I don't have either of those; only the highlighted lens variations.

Me neither. My comments are based on public YouTube videos where the radioactivity is tested. And yes I should be more definite about the exact lens variants involved.

For reference, in this video a lens from line 27 or 28 (Super Takumar 55/1.8 ) and line 33 (Super Takumar 55/2) are tested non-radioactive. Please read below why I am also confused about lines 27 and 28.

So I read that the optical formulas of the 55/2 and 55/1.8 in that period are generally the same? So if that 55/2 is non-radioactive, a 55/1.8 from the exact same vintage should also be non-radioactive? That would then, to my understanding, apply to the 55/1.8 as listed in line 25.

Here is the video link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brz3mXD7OeY

There are various other sources about radioactive Takumar lenses. Like this page:
https://camerapedia.fandom.com/wiki/Radioactive_lenses

Here also some Takumars are listed both as radioactive and non-radioactive.

Now the problem with testing lenses for radioactivity is that you can't really tell from the outside if the test has been made correctly. But in the video above, we have a direct comparison of two lenses that are examined with exactly the same equipment, so the result that the one lens is radioactive and the other one is not, should be a reliable conclusion.

I only have one 55/1.8 Takumar myself. It is a Super-Takumar, has all-white inscribing on the name ring, has serial #1816164, it came with an early Spotmatic #1249941, according to the vendor camera and lens were bought new by the first owner in that family. According to this page, due to the serial number it is an "early model 2" made in late 1965-early 1966:
https://takumarguide.weebly.com/takumarology.html

So I assumed my lens is from line 27 in your chart. However it is 37100 so now I am really confused a bit. Smile As you list the model 37100 in line 28, but my lens is most likely from 1965 or 1966, not 1971.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

memento wrote:
visualopsins wrote:
memento wrote:

I don't have either of those; only the highlighted lens variations.

Me neither. My comments are based on public YouTube videos where the radioactivity is tested. And yes I should be more definite about the exact lens variants involved.

For reference, in this video a lens from line 27 or 28 (Super Takumar 55/1.8 ) and line 33 (Super Takumar 55/2) are tested non-radioactive. Please read below why I am also confused about lines 27 and 28.

So I read that the optical formulas of the 55/2 and 55/1.8 in that period are generally the same? So if that 55/2 is non-radioactive, a 55/1.8 from the exact same vintage should also be non-radioactive? That would then, to my understanding, apply to the 55/1.8 as listed in line 25.

Here is the video link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brz3mXD7OeY

There are various other sources about radioactive Takumar lenses. Like this page:
https://camerapedia.fandom.com/wiki/Radioactive_lenses

Here also some Takumars are listed both as radioactive and non-radioactive.

Now the problem with testing lenses for radioactivity is that you can't really tell from the outside if the test has been made correctly. But in the video above, we have a direct comparison of two lenses that are examined with exactly the same equipment, so the result that the one lens is radioactive and the other one is not, should be a reliable conclusion.

I only have one 55/1.8 Takumar myself. It is a Super-Takumar, has all-white inscribing on the name ring, has serial #1816164, it came with an early Spotmatic #1249941, according to the vendor camera and lens were bought new by the first owner in that family. According to this page, due to the serial number it is an "early model 2" made in late 1965-early 1966:
https://takumarguide.weebly.com/takumarology.html

So I assumed my lens is from line 27 in your chart. However it is 37100 so now I am really confused a bit. Smile As you list the model 37100 in line 28, but my lens is most likely from 1965 or 1966, not 1971.

line 27 (371) may not exist? (only listed in Gerjan's book)

line 28 and line 33 variations have different optical formulas; different diopter measurements, and from video, only line 28 is radioactive.

Corrections to spreadsheet:

line 27 Gerjan says 1966; Takumar Guide says no 371 and 37100 is from 1965 (should end 1965?)
change line 28 to begin 1965 end 1967 per Takumar Guide.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote