Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

2 C/Y adapter questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:06 am    Post subject: 2 C/Y adapter questions Reply with quote

1. I see there are M42 to C/Y adapters that according to their sellers allow to reach infinity. I see that the register distance of M42 and C/Y mounts are almost identical - 45.46mm vs 45.5mm respectively. Those adapters look like this:

If I understand correctly this adapter adds at least 1mm to the M42 lens register distance. So how it is possible to reach infinity with those adapters?

2. Is it possible to attach an AF confirm chip to C/Y to Canon EOS adapter?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you attempting to screw an M42 lens into a C/Y adapter into a Canon EOS? If so, surely it would make more sense just to buy a dedicated M42 to Canon EOS adapter wouldn't it?

I have two of these M42 to C/Y adapters, but I've never used them as they are a pain to use - you need a tool to remove the M42 adapter from the C/Y adapter as far as I remember, which defeats the point IMO.

C/Y adapters can be bought with a chip on already, or big_is on ebay sells the chips and attachment kits on there own.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Are you attempting to screw an M42 lens into a C/Y adapter into a Canon EOS? If so, surely it would make more sense just to buy a dedicated M42 to Canon EOS adapter wouldn't it?

I have two of these M42 to C/Y adapters, but I've never used them as they are a pain to use - you need a tool to remove the M42 adapter from the C/Y adapter as far as I remember, which defeats the point IMO.

C/Y adapters can be bought with a chip on already, or big_is on ebay sells the chips and attachment kits on there own.

No. I have some lens that I wanted to adapt to M42 but found this impossible. I have also one C/Y mount lens that I also planned to adapt to M42 because I don't want to buy C/Y to Canon chipped adapter just for one lens. But I thought that if I could adapt that first lens to C/Y mount (possibly using M42 to C/Y adapter) it would justify a purchase of C/Y to Canon adapter and save me one conversion (of the second lens).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but didn´t understand your second post. It is different to your first one.

Coming back to your first post, question ...

1. yes, you can reach infinity with the M42 to c/y adapter
2. yes, you can get an adapter with chip for c/y to eos with infinity too.

Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 C/Y adapter questions Reply with quote

dimitrygo wrote:
1. I see there are M42 to C/Y adapters that according to their sellers allow to reach infinity

I'm not entirely sure what it is you want to do, but I have just done this :-

CZJ 135mm Sonnar lens (M42), put my M42-CY adapter on it so that it fits a CY body.

Put my chipped CY-EOS adapter on to that, so that now my CZJ Sonnar can mount my Canon 10D.

Tried it, and it works. Infinity focus, and focus confirmation works. Just have to be careful dismounting the lens, to make sure the EOS adapter comes away and the CZJ doesn't just unscrew from the M42-CY adapter.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

I don't plan to use M42 lens with those 2 adapters. I just wanted to understand if I can use this M42 to C/Y adapter as a mount for Minolta lens that needs a conversion in order to be used on Canon. I see now I can't use this adapter for this purpose but I probably can use T-mount to C/Y adapter.

And yes, I know I can convert it directly to Canon but I am not looking for easy solutions Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easiest solution is to buy a single adapter to allow you to mount the lens to the camera body in question. You can stack lens adapters but I would think that it would increase the distance from the sensor and cause potential problems with infinity focus.