Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

1977 Pop Photo Normal Lens tests (32 of them)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
FluffPuppy wrote:
I have been saying the Leicaflex lens was better by far than the Nikkor of this era, but you would not believe me. Well, here's the proof.

Though these are the rangefinder Leica lenses Wink

Nesster,

Will you by any chance have also the Feb. 1999 issue of Popular Photography that contains the infamous comparative test: "The Great 50/1.4 Shootout" (p. 66), that includes Contax(C/Y),Canon, Leica, Minolta, Nikon, Pentax, and Schneider lenses Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keysersoze27 wrote:

Nesster,

Will you by any chance have also the Feb. 1999 issue of Popular Photography that contains the infamous comparative test: "The Great 50/1.4 Shootout" (p. 66), that includes Contax(C/Y),Canon, Leica, Minolta, Nikon, Pentax, and Schneider lenses Wink

Laughing I would not... I don't think... Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
if you look at it propperly, you´ll find that there IS a Summilux compared;)
Keysersoze27 wrote:
Nesster,

according to this PR document Zeiss has won the test

http://www.zeiss.com/C12567A8003B8B6F/EmbedTitelIntern/CLN11e/$File/cln11e.pdf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
Keysersoze27 wrote:

Nesster,

Laughing I would not... I don't think... Laughing

Yeah, a lot of these (the ones tested in 1977) are of lesser interest than the ones you mention (tested in 1999). And why didn't they test the Zeiss Contarex lenses in 1977? Why Konica? You cannot be serious!

Last edited by FluffPuppy on Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just asked since it's imposible to find any info about it...(except for the final top3 )

Thanks for the 1977 scans ... I have read them 3 years ago !!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

berraneck wrote:

Yes the top 3 was :

1) Contax Planar
2)Canon EF
3)Summilux-R

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keysersoze27 wrote:
berraneck wrote:

Yes the top 3 was :

1) Contax Planar
2)Canon EF
3)Summilux-R

Then in 1998, Leica introduced a second-generation 50mm Summilux-R which is better still. Maybe I'll get one some day. LOL

If the old one (the one I own) came in third in 1999, at 30 years of age, against much more recent designs, it's still pretty good!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FluffPuppy wrote:
Keysersoze27 wrote:
berraneck wrote:

Yes the top 3 was :

1) Contax Planar
2)Canon EF
3)Summilux-R

Then in 1998, Leica introduced a second-generation 50mm Summilux-R which is better still. Maybe I'll get one some day. LOL

If the old one (the one I own) came in third in 1999, at 30 years of age, against much more recent designs, it's still pretty good!

They apparently tested the v1 Lux but it's not 100% confirmed ....

The C/Y Planar that came no1 is an early 70s design too so.... Wink

Good luck getting the E60 ... the price will get even higher in the future.....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FluffPuppy wrote:
Nesster wrote:
FluffPuppy wrote:
I have been saying the Leicaflex lens was better by far than the Nikkor of this era, but you would not believe me. Well, here's the proof.

Ooops! Well I'm sure the Leicaflex Summilux-R lens would rank at the top too. It seems odd that they didn't test it. But you will note how poorly the Nikkor did in these tests. It seems only the Takumar was worse.

It would have been nice to see the Zeiss Contax lenses tested. And why bother with Konica? You can't be serious! They were already irrelevant by 1977.

On my tests recently, there wasn't much difference between the Hexanon 50mm f1.7 and a Canon FDn 50mm f1.4 in crops....erm are you going to say "why bother with Canon" as well Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
FluffPuppy wrote:
Nesster wrote:
FluffPuppy wrote:

Ooops! Well I'm sure the Leicaflex Summilux-R lens would rank at the top too. It seems odd that they didn't test it. But you will note how poorly the Nikkor did in these tests. It seems only the Takumar was worse.

It would have been nice to see the Zeiss Contax lenses tested. And why bother with Konica? You can't be serious! They were already irrelevant by 1977.

On my tests recently, there wasn't much difference between the Hexanon 50mm f1.7 and a Canon FDn 50mm f1.4 in crops....erm are you going to say "why bother with Canon" as well Rolling Eyes

No, I mean Konica cameras were on the way out at that time. Not a major player. Canon and Minolta were ascendant, Konica was fading fast.

I am surprised how poorly the f/1.4 Takumar did. It was even worse than the Nikkor! Very strange!

But I think you will all agree now that my criticisms of the Nikkor 50s are borne out by the tests.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
AR-mount SLRs

Konica's second series of SLR cameras began with 1965's Auto-Reflex. This line came to an end in 1987 when Konica abandoned the SLR market.

Konica Auto-Reflex (1965–1968) Known as the Autorex in Japan.
Konica Auto-Reflex P (1966–1968) Known as the Autorex P in Japan.
Konica Autoreflex T (1968–1970)
Konica Autoreflex A (1968–1971)
Konica Autoreflex T2 (1970–1973)
Konica Autoreflex A2 (1971–1972)
Konica Autoreflex A1000 (1972–1973)
Konica Autoreflex T3 (1973–1975)
Konica Autoreflex A3 (1973-?)
Konica Autoreflex T3N (1975–1978)
Konica Autoreflex TC (1976–1982)
Konica Autoreflex T4 (1978–1979)
Konica FS-1 (1979–1983)
Konica FC-1 (1980–1983)
Konica FP-1 (1981–1983)
Konica FT-1 (1983–1987)
Konica TC-X (1985–1987) Built by Cosina.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good photographer could take excellent pictures with all these lenses and many others. The differences would matter in very few situations.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pentaxes were the K's, not the Takumars. In '77 it is true Konica was starting to run out of steam; but they were still considered strong on the back of their auto exposure innovation.

The article makes the point that they were limiting their tests to makes/mounts that had all 4 types represented, just to narrow things down a bit. Interestingly Vivitar made that list.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FluffPuppy wrote:

I am surprised how poorly the f/1.4 Takumar did. It was even worse than the Nikkor! Very strange!

How exactly did you concluded that the K50 is worst than the Nikkor 50 in this test?????

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keysersoze27 wrote:
FluffPuppy wrote:

How exactly did you concluded that the K50 is worst than the Nikkor 50 in this test?????

Don't you know how to read the test?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FluffPuppy wrote:
Keysersoze27 wrote:
FluffPuppy wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Keyboard jockey at it's finest ....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keysersoze27 wrote:
FluffPuppy wrote:
Keysersoze27 wrote:
FluffPuppy wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Keyboard jockey at it's finest ....

The 'critical aperture' is the key. The lower that number, the better.