Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

1964 Jupiter-9 M39 Alu Export: Many Sample Photos
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: 1964 Jupiter-9 M39 Alu Export: Many Sample Photos Reply with quote

I received my M39 1964 Jupiter-9 Alu and after living with it a few days I am posting some of my first test shots as I promised in an earlier thread. I shoot with a K20d. It is indeed sharp wide open but I find it difficult to use at f2. This is mostly because of my poor eyesight. I also like to trap focus which is very inaccurate with this lens for some reason. I get a lot less keepers with the Jupiter-9 than I do with some of my other MF lenses especially in low light. The distance scale and numbers are all face down when mounted on my camera, but this is no big deal as I am an aperture priority shooter who prefers using a preset aperture ring. It's simple and intuitive.

One thing that surprised me is the richly colored single-coating on this lens. I have tried to show this accurately in the first photo. I have owned a later MC model and was not greatly impressed with it. I prefer this earlier Alu with it's single coating.

I think this lens is a superb artist's tool. It can be used for very painterly and impressionistic results. Despite the fact that it is somewhat difficult for me to use, I really love it. I want to thank Atilla, themoleman342, and the other forum members who recommended it!

Buy the way I paid 118. US dollars for this lens from Alex-photo on Ebay.

Last edited by Jeff Zen on Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:36 pm; edited 9 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great!

And I will side with you on the catch-in focus accuracy and say that things are any better on the K-5 than with the K20D. However, in defense of the K-5, the LV is a real blessing when it comes to MF lenses as it makes a breeze out of nailing that focus and more importantly, showing exactly what you get(DOF, rendering, CA etc). And finally, far easier than any focusing screen I've ever owned.

BTW. any idea what year this lens is?

I've been contemplating starting a silver lens collection but I'm not sure what year to aim for.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnBee wrote:

any idea what year this lens is?

Serial No. N6403627 1964 M39 Don't know what the Cyrillic "N" means. (Does anyone know?) Mine is an export model.

Thanks much for K5 info.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff Zen wrote:
JohnBee wrote:

any idea what year this lens is?

Serial No. N6403627 1964 M39 Don't know what the Cyrillic "N" means. (Does anyone know?) Mine is an export model.

Thanks much for K5 info.

Great!
What's your opinion on wide open performance?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As predicted, there are now a million more of these lenses on the market in less than 24-hours. I won't think about getting into this until they smart smuggling the lenses over to the States and the supply is over saturated. This will happen. I refuse to touch anything from the Ukraine or Russian federation. Bad experiences. Too risky in quality.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newton wrote:
I refuse to touch anything from the Ukraine or Russian federation. Bad experiences. Too risky in quality.

Don't blame you. Buying lenses through the mail from anyone you don't know or trust is definitely a gambler's game. I've certainly been burned before,
but my recent experiences have been very good.

JohnBee wrote:
Great!
What's your opinion on wide open performance?

My J9 seems very sharp at f2, however I haven't been able to capture anything with quite the color and rendering of that recent portrait you posted.
At least not yet. The MC might be better for skin. I don't know for sure.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newton wrote:
As predicted, there are now a million more of these lenses on the market in less than 24-hours. I won't think about getting into this until they smart smuggling the lenses over to the States and the supply is over saturated. This will happen. I refuse to touch anything from the Ukraine or Russian federation. Bad experiences. Too risky in quality.

For what it's worth, I've ordered(at least) a dozen or so lenses from the Ukrain and/or Russia through eBay without any real problems. Though I did encounter a few "as described" issues, but... since Paypal offers buyer protection, I was fortunate enough to to find solutions to all of them(partial refunds etc).

So for me, its been pretty good that way.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is good to know. Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great results, Jeff!. This is a lens with personality, on the NEX and the GF1 it's easier to focus because the x7, x10 and x14 zomed liveview...

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jes! I really like how the J9 looks and performs on your NEX. Very futuristic, but with a 60's retro lens.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great series.
I must start using my copy more often Smile