Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

1932 Blackburn B2 - Tokina RMC 17mm f3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: 1932 Blackburn B2 - Tokina RMC 17mm f3.5 Reply with quote

Some further example shots from his trusty wide angle lens, just so impressive when used with my workhorse Nikon D3

Again taken at The Shuttlesworth Collection, Old Warden Aerodrome, Bedfordshire

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leading edge flaps in 1932 - amazing.
Beautiful aircraft - nicely taken
T

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For an old lens the rectilinear Tokina is remarkably distortion free, and I think the Nikon D3 would show any distortion more than something like the Sony A6000 that I use the lens on?

What's not to like about this lens? Like 1 small

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder, is the a6000's 24.3mp sensor the same as the 24.3mp sensor in the NEX 7? If so, then I think that distortion is the least of one's concerns when trying to use this lens on an a6000. I have the Tokina-made Vivitar 17/3.5 -- and the Tamron 17/3.5 -- and both behaved disappointingly on my NEX 7. Rather mushy is the way I'd describe the images I got from both lenses. My Sony's 18-55mm kit lens did a much better job at 18mm than either of the 17s did. I tried the Tamron out on my EOS APS-C DSLR (couldn't try the Vivitar because it's Canon FD) with equally poor results. I've mentioned it here before, and I will again -- I just don't think that your typical APS-C sensor does a very good job at resolving the light coming from an old design ultra-wide meant for full-frame film cameras. It does appear though that full frame digital cameras do not suffer from this same problem. And, as the above photos exemplify, the D3, being a full frame camera, seems to bear out this assertion.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think people need to realise that these older lenses were in the main part were designed to be used on 35mm film cameras. As such the nearest DSLR equivalent has to be full frame.

Porting them over to use on APS-C not only limits their "width" due to the cropping factor on these modern DSLR cameras, but in my view can also affect the distortion produced by these lenses (i have nothing solid to prove this, but is more of my own gut feeling from the results gained from the same lense on a Nikon D7100 against the Nion D3 full frame)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both the Tokina and the Tamron (151B) perform very good on my Sony A7. Before i had it i used the Tokina on a Sony NEX3, but i can't say that it was bad, although i prefered it on the 5D because of the wider angle.

These (and the shots in the other topic) are very good samples of what the Tokina can do! Topics like this aren't good for current prices if you're looking to buy! Wink

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
I wonder, is the a6000's 24.3mp sensor the same as the 24.3mp sensor in the NEX 7? If so, then I think that distortion is the least of one's concerns when trying to use this lens on an a6000. I have the Tokina-made Vivitar 17/3.5 -- and the Tamron 17/3.5 -- and both behaved disappointingly on my NEX 7. Rather mushy is the way I'd describe the images I got from both lenses. My Sony's 18-55mm kit lens did a much better job at 18mm than either of the 17s did. I tried the Tamron out on my EOS APS-C DSLR (couldn't try the Vivitar because it's Canon FD) with equally poor results. I've mentioned it here before, and I will again -- I just don't think that your typical APS-C sensor does a very good job at resolving the light coming from an old design ultra-wide meant for full-frame film cameras. It does appear though that full frame digital cameras do not suffer from this same problem. And, as the above photos exemplify, the D3, being a full frame camera, seems to bear out this assertion.

I recently tested the Tokina-made Vivitar 17/3.5 (72mm filter diameter) against the Tamron 17/3.5 (51B), mounted on a full-frame Nikon (D700). My results:

- Vignetting: neither lens was stellar, but the Tamron was worse (with some vignetting still noticeable at f/8 ).
- Sharpness: similar at the centre (both really good, though neither is very sharp wide open). The Tammy wins out on corner sharpness (the Viv's corners can be fuzzy, esp. at large apertures).
- Distortion: the Tamron wins by a landslide here. The Vivitar shows a fair amount of barrel distortion, while the Tamron is much more controlled.
- CA: The Vivitar has the edge here.
- The main advantage of the Vivitar is that you can use filters on it, with or without a hood. With the Tammy, you need the dedicated hood in order to have a filter thread (82mm).
- The Tamron can do f/4, while the Vivitar jumps from f/3.5 to f/5.6.The Vivitar closes down to f/16, while the Tamron goes down to f/22.
- I thought the Tammy's images had a slight warm cast to it. The Viv's images appeared more neutral. (Have others noticed this too? It may just be my monitor needing a recalibration.)
- The build of both lenses felt solid.

So in my experience neither lens beats the other in all categories. I also have the Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8, so the results with the Viv and the Tammy paled in comparison. I ended up selling the Vivitar, and kept the Tamron for when I need to go light.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

invisible wrote:
I ended up selling the Vivitar, and kept the Tamron for when I need to go light.

Thanks for your in-depth comparison! I think yours is the first I've read comparing these two lenses.

I agree with your decision. If I had to choose -- and I haven't yet, mostly because I haven't yet had the opportunity to put them through full-frrame paces -- I'd probably do the same and sell the Vivitar. Partly because it's Canon FD, but mostly because the Tamron is an adaptall-2, which gives it so much more versatility when I want to shoot film.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
BTW, is your Tamron the early one with the built-in filters or the later one? Mine's the later one. I was fortunate enough to pick it up with the dedicated hood -- but no front cap.

Mine is the early one, and I was lucky enough to find one with the hood and the caps. I believe there are no optical differences between the two Tamron versions, but I may be wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you're right. In fact, if you look at my earlier post, you'll note that I deleted the question because I went to adaptall-2.com and read up on the two lenses. Just cosmetic differences besides losing the filters.