Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

135mm: SuperTak 3,5 Pentacon 2,8 Berolina 2,8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: 135mm: SuperTak 3,5 Pentacon 2,8 Berolina 2,8 Reply with quote

my first trials of M42 lenses on a Pentax k100D
all shot as jpeg at ISO 200 ( found out that my software isn't recognizing the Pentax RAWs )
in Av mode with +1,5 exposure bias dialed in
no editing but resizing resp. cropping

Super Takumar 135mm 3,5 at 3,5:

a 100% crop ( left top ):

Pentacon 135mm 2,8 electric at 2,8:

100% crop ( right top )

Berolina 135mm 2,8 at 2,8:

100% crop ( left top )

Last edited by kuuan on Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:47 pm; edited 4 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ducks rock!!!!

Not so sure about the Berolina bokeh though.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: 135: SuperTak 3,5 Pentacon 2,8 Berolina 2,8 Reply with quote

again the three 135mm without any editing ( though levels and contrat would improve the photos quite a bit )

SuperTakumar 135mm at 3,5:

Pentacon 135mm at 2,8:

Berolina 135mm at 2,8:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: SuperTak and Berolina 135mm Reply with quote

and here only the SupTak and the Berolina.
On those I had changed levels slightly ( auto levels would ahve been much more trastic ) and had increased contrast a bit as well:

SuperTak: 135 at 3,5:

100% crop:

Berolina 135mm at 2,8:

and a 100% crop:

Last edited by kuuan on Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really not see significant difference between them based on this test.
(I am great fan of Pentacon 135mm f2.Cool

Do you think same or do you prefer any of them ?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the tak. To me it has better everything - although not by a lot I admit.

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do I detect a yellow bias on the Pentacon?

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, this is my very first trial and certainly I lack the knowledge of how to compare lenses.

But I consider them to be quite different, specially color and detail rendition:
The Pentacon having the most 'blend' colors and the less details, almost a bit cloudy looking ( my copy of the lens is not 100% clear, has a bit of dust but only at the edges )
the Berolina has the warmest colors and is quite sharp
the SupTakumar I find having best details and very sharp and natural colors, but a bit clinical looking if compared to the others.

So..I actually like the Pentacon less of the three and I like the Berolina quite a bit, a lens I bought for 6 Euro and could not find any information about on the net,
I'd think that the SupTakumar is the better lens overall.
But I may do the Pentacon unjust, from what i can see it may have the softest and most pleasant bokeh- and colors can be adjusted in PP.

My judgment might be not too good because of all my lenses the one I really dislike so far is the Jupiter 9 ( no samples of my J 9 photos here yet ) but most MF users like it a lot.. Question

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so I do post some Jupiter 9 photos.
the ones taken with the ducks just look very dull. the following are the better ones:

not edited:

auto levels in PS:

and here the 'characteristic' bokeh which I dislike quite a bit:

I found it the most difficult lens to focus ( well, understandably since I shot at f=2 )

( sorry Attila, again no new thread though photos with a different lens, but I thought those photos do not deserve a new thread )

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem! In crappy weather like we have in winter hard to make nice samples even with the best lenses.
Try Jupiter-9 in portrait action... you will not disappointed I am sure...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Try Jupiter-9 in portrait action... you will not disappointed I am sure...

yes Attila, thank's, I am sure it is very good for portraits...but maybe not for much else?
I like to shoot low light and candid and bought this lens specially for when I want to catch faces in a restaurant, at a party asf., I guess it will be good for that! Idea

szervusz from vienna,
andreas

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use only for portraits, this lens is designed for portraits and perform very well in this field. I not use for any other purposes, I have favorite lenses for all different areas.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur with the Super Tak in these particular examples. THANKS for doing this, hope to see even more. The more we see, the more we learn.

Now FORGET about the lenses for a moment...that Pentax K100D certainly handles it all VERY well. How do you shoot the old lenses? Don't you have to go into a menu and change the "aperture to S lens" to "Enabled"? Do you get focus confirmation of any kind?

Good stuff!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
well, this is my very first trial and certainly I lack the knowledge of how to compare lenses.

Don't worry about this Andreas. You are on your way! These trials are just that, trials. Your knowledge is on it's way. These shots show personality traits that will help you choose the lens you want for different situations. Thankyou for the contribution. Please keep them coming.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a major strength of this forum, that so many are ready to "have a go". This thread is a fine example of that industry,

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me the Super Takumar is the clear winner, but the others are very decent performers.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: K100D MF lens use settings Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
...Now FORGET about the lenses for a moment...that Pentax K100D certainly handles it all VERY well. How do you shoot the old lenses? Don't you have to go into a menu and change the "aperture to S lens" to "Enabled"? Do you get focus confirmation of any kind?

Good stuff!

Laurence considering that I only have had the camera over the weekend I am quite pleased with the result obtained.

Use of M42 lenses on Pentax K100D:

1: menu settings ( which can be left like this for use of any, also AF lens ):
    using aperture ring > permitted
    FI with S lens used ( Focus Indication with Srewmount lens ) > available

2: camera 'body' settings:
    switch AF/MF set to 'manual' focus ( also possible to keep in 'AF' which locks shutter release unless focus in confirmed = let's you take photos only when in focus )
    'Av' mode
    exposure bias +1,5

3: taking photos:
    after turning on camera user is prompted to dial in focal length of mounted lens ( info the camera wants to work the IS properly )
    focus with aperture wide open, 3 fold focus confirmation, when in focus:
      - a red square in the middle of the frame flashes once, also indicating the focus point, ( I believe only centre focusing is working, must verify )
      - a piep sound ( can be turned off )
      - a green hexagon symbol in the viewfinder lights up and stays as long as in focus.
    set desired aperture manually on lens
    'shoot'

use of K mount lenses ( other than 'A' lenses )
    dial in focal length on startup
    choose 'M' mode
    choose aperture manually on lens
    focus
    press AE button ( which stops down the lens to the chosen aperture to choose adequate shutter speed, no exposure bias necessary )
    shoot

use of 'A' K mount lenses with electrical contacts:
focus manually, all exposure related automatisms work = use of all programs.

This and some other informations I had already posted as answers in Josito's thread 'Testing MF lenses CZJ Pancolar 50 f1,8, Cosinon 28 f2,8 and in my thread 'focusing - which dSLR camera easy? which aids?'

Here again pasted links with info originally posted in Josito's thread:
guide to use MF lenses on K100d
also check this one though some untruth found there, it says that electrical contacts must be covered to get focus confirmation with M42 lens but this is not true, choosing 'FI with S lens used' > 'available' for does the trick
and check first answer here

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a hood for your Jupiter-9? It flares easily and is soft wide open. It should be very very sharp at f5.6 or f8.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks kuuan...GREAT information, and I fully appreciate the time you took to answer this for me.

In another post, I was telling all about my "big plans" for just scrapping my M42 lenses and concentrating on enhancing my medium format gear, as that is my preferred shooting.

However, it looks like I'm going to be almost "gifted" with a Pentax K110D, for only the shipping cost! Shocked So...I guess I will be "trying out" those M42 lenses before I make the decision...

I think it would be a poor move to NOT accept such an offer on the K110D, I have nothing to lose, and I can still go forward with my plans if I don't like the system.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence it's a pleasure..or obsession? Embarassed

wow Laurence, a K110D, what a gift! I am sure that it is a very fine cam, it's main difference to the K100D is just not having IS. You have very fine lenses listed in your signature, they must get out and give you joy and the K110D will be doing just fine!

I am just starting with manual lenses and don't even have a dSLR body yet ( the one used to take to pics was not mine and for my use for one weekend only ) Medium format film sounds like way over my level but must be very fascinating. I like the instant digital result and may not be ready to go film, but the combination instant digital result with MF lenses with it's tweaking and experimenting as opposed to fully automatic make a perfect match for me.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: K100D MF lens use settings Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:

though some untruth found there, it says that electrical contacts must be covered to get focus confirmation with M42 lens but this is not true, choosing 'FI with S lens used' > 'available' for does the trick

correction - reason of shortcutting electrical contacts:
when using M42 lenses shortcutting the electrical contacts on the K100D's mount with e.g. an aluminium foil will make the camera expose correctly, dial in of +1,5 bias is not required any more!

- and with your permission I later may delete this post and edit/correct the earlier post to make it a concise but correct instruction on how to use MF lenses on a Pentax K100D(Super)