Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

135mm F1.8 spiratone - to be put under the tree for now :D
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:51 am    Post subject: 135mm F1.8 spiratone - to be put under the tree for now :D Reply with quote

I was eagerly waiting to see if metabones would release an EF-MFT focal reducer so that my 5D and EP3 would better split the stash of lenses I've collected. Well, after multiple delays, decided screw it, I'll get a nice lens instead.

Figured I was covered for wide, normal and an 85mm f1.4 Samyang was my longest prime. So time to upgrade Smile

I spend forever researching old 135s. The idea being If I compose my subject the same, I'd compress the image, and blow up the background a bit more - get a bit more selective of what I use for the background. So If I wanted say multicolored tree lights to fill the background, going longer would give me that (as long as my feet were willing).

Soligor, spiratone, nikon, based on availability, price and pictures I saw, I settled on the Spiratone (82mm filter version) for $400. Great condition.

It's actually YS mount, so it's possible to find the right converter to fit other mounts. This was YS-Nikon, so that's perfect for me, I just used a Nikon adapter.

Here's a few pictures using it:

F2.8 (I think, maybe 2.4)

This is F2.8

And of course the wide open shot Very Happy

Action shots possible wide open I guess if you're not toooo critical of just missing focus. Then again, my munchkin is a little dynamo that gives all my AF lenses trouble.

Sharpness is Excellent of F4 and great at F2.8. It's very good wide open - enough for my wife to complain about the sharpness of seeing pores/skin texture - and that's on the EP3.
There's some CA, but you can reduce it in post. I didn't bother in the above images.

Finally - LENS P0RN!

Here's how it looks on the EP3. The camera is simply an exotic lens cap. Get a used EPL1. you can get them for under $100 nowadays. Now it really is like a lenscap....

And here it is on the 5D. Balance is a subjective thing....

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very tasty - merry Xmouse
OH

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love big lenses Smile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HELLO

i ve the like yours, but under BEROFLEX name

only focus shape is different ,mine is diamond one

an older tread , whit photos and lenses formula , is here : http://forum.mflenses.com/its-huge-porst-135-1-8-t24111,start,15.html

mine ,tested on x-pro1 for the first test (more samples with canon 30D )

auto expo and clarity + saturation in LR5 (no noise reduction , 2nde one is grainy) CA visible event close to f8, easy to remove in PP

wide open 250iso, grey day

[/url]

f5.6 maybe, but 1250iso

[/url]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks AMDBill (as in the CPU?) some good information there.

Saved that image of the ad - when was that printed? $145 back in 1970 puts this at $872 with inflation.

Some nice images there - always great to see nice images from a lens you just got right? Very Happy

Haven't noticed much flare yet, but I'll give it a test this weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extreme and good lens, congrats!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beomagi wrote:
Thanks AMDBill (as in the CPU?) some good information there.

No it s a bit more complicated , it s a french joke about j c van dame (actor)

this lens is not for landscape under sunshine , but more usable as portraiture lens

very nice for old women Wink

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens is a hug heavy thing and makes your Olympus PEN as a badminton ball if you drop it Very Happy

Huge glass is impressive. I love to watch the aperture thru big glass like this. This lens should be a pretty good performer too for a 135mm f/1.8. You can´t really expect razor sharp images wide open from any lens this extreme.

Congratz with your new lens Wink

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, pretty happy with it.
I really wasn't expecting much from it wide open, but I think it's acceptable. Not the level of the samyang 85, but the perspective and extra range is nice. A nice choice for portrait.

Some wide open shots:

Took my kid for a horse and buggy ride and snapped a few with the 5D. You do get some interesting looks using it... Very Happy