Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

100% crop
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: 100% crop Reply with quote

First off, thanks Andy for sending me those rolls of Neopan 100ss film! This
is from the first roll, dev'd in HC-110B, 6 mins, 20C:

Using Canon A-1 and Viv Series 1 70-210 zoom. Scanned @2400dpi on
Epson 4490, everything off, and only minor spot removal for PP. I don't
see any grain in this, do you? Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Epson 4990 and I find that if I'm scanning a reasonably fine-grained film, it scans at just below the resolution threshold of the film's grain. I'm not familiar with Neopan 100ss, but I have developed Plus X Pan (ISO 125) in Kodak D-76 (full strength) and achieved very similar results.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Michael, I'm pleased with the results, too, especially for a 100%
crop.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good Katastrofo......out of interest I wanted to know how good Fuji Reala was, so scanned a neg at 4800dpi and selected a crop (the original pic would be 6ft across).
Well the grain was better than the lens, erm well from my flatbed scanner V750.

The scene, the lens was either a Hexanon or Canon

crop

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not an unusual performance from a good flatbed scanner, I've found. Yesterday, somebody posted a link to a scanner comparison site, which pretty much demonstrates that just about all the good scanners sort of taper off at a certain level of resolution. And contrary to marketing claims, this level is typically in the 2000ppi to 2400ppi range. Your V750 is closer to the 2400ppi level, while my 4990 is closer to the 2000ppi level.

You can prove this to yourself easily enough. Scan an image at 2400 ppi, then at 3200 ppi. Upsize the 2400ppi image in your favorite image processing software so that both images are the same size, then see if you can detect any more detail in the 3200 ppi image than you can in the 2400 ppi image. You probably won't be able to. I certainly can't with my 4990, despite its claims to scan at 4800 ppi.

For slides and B&W negs, I duplicate them using my DSLR and a slide duplicating rig I've cobbled together. My DSLR has a 10.1mp sensor, and this translates over to 2600 ppi. Good enough to resolve grain on Kodachrome 25, which for many years was the fine grain king of 35mm film emulsions. Not quite enough to resolve Fuji Velvia 50's grain.

The evidence:

Kodachrome 25 full image

K25 100% crop -- note the grain in the pickup and the sign

But check out the Velvia 50 (full image)

V50 100% crop -- no visible grain. Amazing stuff!

Duping color negs is tricky. I've been successful with a few, and failed miserably with others. I would like to do a grain comparison between Kodak's Ektar and Fuji's Reala, and see which is the finer of the two. I get good scans with Ektar but I find it grainy enough where my 4990 is very close to resolving it. Excalibur's V750 probably will resolve Ektar 100's grain. I have successfully duped a few Ektar images, and I was rather surprised at the amount of grain I was getting, especially considering that Kodak claims it to be the finest grain of C-41 films. Still, its finer than the other C-41 negatives I've scanned and duped. I haven't tried Reala yet, though.

Ektar 100, full image, 4990 scan at a claimed 3200 ppi

Ektar 100, 100% crop of the 4990 scan

Last edited by cooltouch on Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed you are right Michael re about the limits of a flatbed scanner, as I found that increasing the scan up to the max on my V750, and the result was less pixel breakup and not a sharper image. Maybe fluid mounting the neg might give better results, but IMO it's silly as how are we going to get people to use more (or change to) film with this rigmarole.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excal and CT, thanks for your contributions, interesting results.

Excal, I would've opted for a tele in that shot... Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:

Excal, I would've opted for a tele in that shot... Laughing

Heh. Me too. About a 600mm or so would be good. Cool

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than start another thread, here are some from a roll of Arista Premium 400 dev'd in Diafine, 4+4 @24C, EI 800:

Canon A-1/Viv Series 1 70-210 zoom lens, using FastStone editing for PP,
latest download, free software.

Store fluorescent lighting wasn't helping, but am much more pleased with
this result than with the Efke 50 roll.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Diafine looks better this time around. Actually I think these would wet print very well.
I like that 1st crop it has a very nice feel to it. Again wet printing would look good. Smile
Since you have Neopan ss here I will post and comment.
I love the stuff. It has great tones and flexible exposure latitude.
Not the sharpest film but really nice overall.
Check out the glow on the wagon wheel pic. I think the film is really working well here.
All of these are with a Franken-lens Canon ltm 50mm f1.2

Last edited by F16SUNSHINE on Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrong links Andy.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the linking to flikr is broken maybe.

Here are the URL's

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, the wheel pic is damn dandy. Love the higher contrast and glow as
you say. (Took the liberty of bringing your URLs to life).