Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Olympus PEN-F 100mm 3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:28 pm    Post subject: Olympus PEN-F 100mm 3.5 Reply with quote

I am looking at an Olympus PEN-F 100mm 3.5 lens and am feeling a GAS attack coming Wink

At the moment I own three PEN lenses: a 50-90mm (which I think is fantastic), and two 150mm. One of the 150's has a bit of a hazing on one of the elements so I picked up a second one. Both of these 150's are prone to, what is the right phrase...., where light bouncing around inside the lens (or perhaps reflecting off the sensor?) causing the image to have low contrast. Veiling flare? This tends to happen whenever the sun is within a 180 degree arc of the front of the lens. The 50-90mm doesn't have this problem.

What I know of Olympus' PEN lenses several of them used "rare earth elements". Certainly the 38/1.8 and the 40/1.4 from what I read. While my 50-90mm and 150mm lenses don't give show anything noteworthy after a full test cycle on my Radex 1503+, the thing is a bit "beepy" on the way there; something most other lenses don't do. Perhaps the generally good optical results are because Olympus put some "special sauce" in the glass mixture for all these lenses, not just the fast ones.

The workmanship on these PEN lenses is fantastic. They feel so good in the hand. So when I saw this 100mm.... Long story, but does anyone have any experience with the 100mm 3.5?

Oh, my camera is an Olympus E-M1 Mk.III, so no problems with sensor coverage.

Regards, C.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a very nice little lens.
I use mine on APSc and it has no problems with coverage
The 38mm and the 40mm are exceptional. I wouldn't put the 100/3.5 in the same category, but it is good nonetheless

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've been looking for wide angle pen-f lenses but i gave it up as their prices went ridicules.

samyang becomes a more suitable choice.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Olympus PEN-F 100mm 3.5 Reply with quote

connloyalist wrote:
.... the thing is a bit "beepy...."

Beepy is nothing. I have Takumar that is just one continuous tone. Naturally almost zero CA of any kind! Just don't put it under your pillow or any clothes pockets.

But I do not have that Pen lens to compare.

As low contrast goes: If you have one copy that is visibly hazy - this usually goes with that make/model. If not fungus then it is usually thermal cycling where grease fractions evaporated, distilled and vapor deposited back on the glass. First of all - service it, full internal cleaning. Then another thing that works well for vintage lenses - paint elements rims, usually roughly ground glass, with thin black paint. So is any internal surfaces that are visible through the glass. Some vintage lenses are never painted. If you have no thin nitro paint - black marker will improve contrast a bit but paint is better.Some black markers ink are not black in IR, but good news is that most film usually are not either. You are shooting film, right? And even digital usually (always) has IR filter.

I had dramatic improvement of contrast and clarity with many lenses after full internal cleaning and rim painting. I recommend you to try.