Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

need help fixing Minolta Apo 200mm 2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:22 pm    Post subject: need help fixing Minolta Apo 200mm 2.8 Reply with quote

I bought this lens cheap for having issues that I've thought I could deal with ,basically fungus on the inner elements . I've tested the lenses with 2 adapters and it won't reach infinity, in fact it would only reach up to about 8 meters far away. I really need this lens for my daughter's graduation, so it's about time to try again after leaving it unattended for a long while. Some time ago, I've tried removing front name plate ring , the thin one. The issue is that when I'm trying to unscrew it, would only unscrew a little bit and when it turns, it will do it with the whole front group together (I can see optics moving inside the barrel). So I need help to see what would be the best option to approach this lens , other than the mentioneed before. I did apply acetone all around the name plate ring on top and bottom next to the optic, but no luck so far.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok ,I finally figured out and it wasn't that hard .
First the rubber ring from the hood needs to be removed, after release a black outer ring from the top of the hood (where the rubber ring was seated on). This will allow to remove the hood unscrewing it to the rear. Once the hood removed, there's a tiny screw that holds in place the whole front group from the outside ,after this is piece of cake. That tiny screw is the one in charge to hold the front group in place and to allow adjustment of the infinity . I still have no clue how the top side of the lens is connected to the rear side, in my lens there's a little wobble between these two parts , I think they are connected just next to the rear mount

Last edited by kiddo on Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mention fungus on the inner elements. Minolta APO designated lenses from that era usually have a fluorite (calcium fluoride) element in the front group, protected by glass elements on either side. You need to be very careful with fluorite elements; they are far more easily damaged compared to optical glass.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you , there were few fungus spots under first front element and last one from the front group, close to the diaphragm, some more on the edges ,it cleaned up very well . I avoided to open more than really necessary .
The fluorite element could be the second one? I understand the front group has 4 elements (2+2 cemented?)
Some very small spots have remained where the fungus affected coatings , but otherwise I'm really happy the optics are much better right now and it will reach infinity.
It still bother me the little wobble between the front part of the lens and the rear one next to the mount , I've checked the screws from the mount and they're all tighten. This lens it had some thread locker between the elements, but not at all comparable to yashica ML 50mm 1.4 which finally I was able to open after leaving inside the freezer for couple of days. That lens had a lot of red loctite type thread locker, the most that any lens could have, I'm not sure if Zeiss c/y might be the same , but I guess so.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:
You mention fungus on the inner elements. Minolta APO designated lenses from that era usually have a fluorite (calcium fluoride) element in the front group, protected by glass elements on either side. You need to be very careful with fluorite elements; they are far more easily damaged compared to optical glass.

While the MC/MD 5.6/400 APO (and probably also the MD 6.3/600 APO) do have a fluorite lens, the Minolta AF 2.8/200 APO, AF 2.8/300 APO and AF 4/600mm APO do have proprietary Minolta AD (anomaleous dispersion) glass, and not fluorite lenses. That said, these AD glass lenses are much softer than other optical glass too (but they don't crack as easily as fluorite crystals, of course).

Back to the repair questions - I have a MinAF 2.8/300 APO G HS that was damaged (de-centered) accidentally. It seems the entire front element is slightly tilted. Up to now I didn't find any reliable information abiout separating the front element from the rear parte of the lens - does anyone here have some clues?

S

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, can you remove the whole front group from the lens? is the 300 mm lens opening the same as the 200 mm apo for the front group? at least the 200 apo is very easy to access, my lens also has got a good bump at some time

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I can't.

If I remove the black rubber front ring, there's no screw to be found under it. There is one at the base of the large front part, and removing it doesn't "free" the front part or the sunshade.

My own 2.8/200 APO currently is used by a friend, so I can't compare the construction of the MinAF 2.8/200 APO and the MinAF 2.8/300 APO right now ...

S

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
RokkorDoctor wrote:

While the MC/MD 5.6/400 APO (and probably also the MD 6.3/600 APO) do have a fluorite lens, the Minolta AF 2.8/200 APO, AF 2.8/300 APO and AF 4/600mm APO do have proprietary Minolta AD (anomaleous dispersion) glass, and not fluorite lenses. That said, these AD glass lenses are much softer than other optical glass too (but they don't crack as easily as fluorite crystals, of course).

Back to the repair questions - I have a MinAF 2.8/300 APO G HS that was damaged (de-centered) accidentally. It seems the entire front element is slightly tilted. Up to now I didn't find any reliable information abiout separating the front element from the rear parte of the lens - does anyone here have some clues?

S

Welcome back Stephan; I hadn't seen you post for a while.

Good to know the AF 2.8/200 APO, AF 2.8/300 APO and AF 4/600mm APO do not use a fluorite element.

The MC/MD 5.6/400 APO and MD 6.3/600 APO do have a fluorite element according to the info I could find. Fortunately I have had no reason to open up the front cell on my copies.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
No, I can't.

If I remove the black rubber front ring, there's no screw to be found under it. There is one at the base of the large front part, and removing it doesn't "free" the front part or the sunshade.

My own 2.8/200 APO currently is used by a friend, so I can't compare the construction of the MinAF 2.8/200 APO and the MinAF 2.8/300 APO right now ...

S

On my first gen Apo 200mm , removing the rubber from the hood (it comes out easily) , will allow to unscrew a black thin ring that is located underneath the rubber , after that you can release (to the mount) the hood, and right under the hood there is a little screw that once unscrewed ,would release the front group .