Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fujinon EX Enlarger Lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:02 am    Post subject: Fujinon EX Enlarger Lenses Reply with quote

I hope this doesn't turn into another "best enlarger lens ever" post Rolling Eyes Very Happy

I've been curious about this "Pro" line of Fujinon enlarger lenses, particularly the 50mm and 75mm of the EX series. These two are 6 element/4 group designs and multi-coated (which is always attractive when dealing with Fuji products). They're considerably less common than their Schneider, Rodagon, and Nikkor counterparts. In the little information I've found everyone who has them seems to like them.

Any personal experience here? Thanks!
~Marc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Fujinon EX Enlarger Lenses Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
I hope this doesn't turn into another "best enlarger lens ever" post Rolling Eyes Very Happy

I've been curious about this "Pro" line of Fujinon enlarger lenses, particularly the 50mm and 75mm of the EX series. These two are 6 element/4 group designs and multi-coated (which is always attractive when dealing with Fuji products). They're considerably less common than their Schneider, Rodagon, and Nikkor counterparts. In the little information I've found everyone who has them seems to like them.

~Marc

No, but Fuji has a good reputation. I bet they are on a par with EL-Nikkor.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: Fujinon EX Enlarger Lenses Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:

~Marc

I have a Fujinon 75mm 4.5 EX lens sitting about 3" from my keyboard. I just dug it out of a box (where it lived for years) last night. That's why I was googling for Fujinon EX lenses, and found this thread. I expected to find a thread from years ago - certainly not from today! I didn't even know this forum existed until Google brought me here Smile.

I last used this lens close to 10 years ago with my enlarger. I didn't print a whole lot with it, but it was always 'mindblowingly' sharp no matter how high I took the enlarger head. For the $89 I paid for it (used) compared to the 'big name' lenses, it was a steal.

I also have an older (15-element aperture!) 50mm Schneider Componon 4.0 that I used more for my 35mm printing. It was also very sharp. However since I only used the Schneider for 35mm, and the Fujinon for 6x4.5, I can't really compare the two since the medium format enlargements will always look superior.

Last night I ordered a Nikon m42/F-mount adapter, and a m39/m42 adapter. My plan is to attach some old Pentax m42 bellows to my Nikon D90, then mount the enlarging lenses to the bellows. I'm dying to see how these lenses perform for shooting instead of enlarging.

I also ordered a Mamiya m645 adapter (to Nikon F) to put my old Mamiya lenses back into service.

Joel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: Fujinon EX Enlarger Lenses Reply with quote

ShootFirst wrote:
themoleman342 wrote:

~Marc

I have a Fujinon 75mm 4.5 EX lens sitting about 3" from my keyboard. I just dug it out of a box (where it lived for years) last night. That's why I was googling for Fujinon EX lenses, and found this thread. I expected to find a thread from years ago - certainly not from today! I didn't even know this forum existed until Google brought me here Smile.

I last used this lens close to 10 years ago with my enlarger. I didn't print a whole lot with it, but it was always 'mindblowingly' sharp no matter how high I took the enlarger head. For the $89 I paid for it (used) compared to the 'big name' lenses, it was a steal.

I also have an older (15-element aperture!) 50mm Schneider Componon 4.0 that I used more for my 35mm printing. It was also very sharp. However since I only used the Schneider for 35mm, and the Fujinon for 6x4.5, I can't really compare the two since the medium format enlargements will always look superior.

Last night I ordered a Nikon m42/F-mount adapter, and a m39/m42 adapter. My plan is to attach some old Pentax m42 bellows to my Nikon D90, then mount the enlarging lenses to the bellows. I'm dying to see how these lenses perform for shooting instead of enlarging.

I also ordered a Mamiya m645 adapter (to Nikon F) to put my old Mamiya lenses back into service.

Joel

Welcome to the forum.

Your first post can't contain an image (anti-spam measure), but from now on images will work fine.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Actually I have the same 4/50mm Componon. 15 bladed and all. I was wondering if the EX 2.8/50mm would be any worthwhile upgrade, since I saw it at a local shop.

Ultimately I think it comes down to how large the prints will be. For an 8x10, I doubt there will really be much difference. For something bigger it may show some advantage. I doubt I'll do much bigger an 11x14 though...maybe I'll pass.

The 75mm is supposed to be fantastic. I hope you get some good results with it!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard ShootFirst !

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fujinons are very good enlarger lenses actually. The EP and EX being the PRO series, the latter having a EBC ("electron beam coating") modern multicoating. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fujinon#Enlarging_lenses I have tried a few and would indeed say on par with EL-Nikkors.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Fujinons are very good enlarger lenses actually. The EP and EX being the PRO series, the latter having a EBC ("electron beam coating") modern multicoating. I have tried a few and would indeed say on par with EL-Nikkors.

Klaus, which El-Nikkors? I ask because I've formed the impression -- not based on tests and very possibly mistaken -- that the later -Ns are newer designs and better than the older EL-Nikkors without the -N.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the "N" Nikkors were introduced around the same time ('80s) as the "EX" Fujis. I would assume the "N" Nikkors were multi-coated but they're not strongly advertised as such, at least in what I've found. Fuji had a tradition of using their EBC development for marketing purposes so they're always mentioned as having such.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

El-Nikkor sales brochures (and lots more) here: http://savazzi.freehostia.com/photography/old_literature.htm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromm wrote:
kds315* wrote:
Fujinons are very good enlarger lenses actually. The EP and EX being the PRO series, the latter having a EBC ("electron beam coating") modern multicoating. I have tried a few and would indeed say on par with EL-Nikkors.

Klaus, which El-Nikkors? I ask because I've formed the impression -- not based on tests and very possibly mistaken -- that the later -Ns are newer designs and better than the older EL-Nikkors without the -N.

Well, the newer "N" ones have multicoating, but plastic barrels, which I don't like personally and are much larger. IQ seems to be the same from my tests. But personally I prefer to use the older types, especially the 3.5/63mm is a real gem.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I decided to get it:

It was $35 for the lens, original cap, box, and plastic case. The box actually reads that it cost $123.90 at one point. Maybe an original 1980s price?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
Well I decided to get it:

It was $35 for the lens, original cap, box, and plastic case. The box actually reads that it cost $123.90 at one point. Maybe an original 1980s price?

Congrats! $35 is a real bargain. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fujinon enlarger lenses were very good, EX replaced the EP line

https://www.photocornucopia.com/1056.html

I only have a 50mm ES lens, and it's a step under the EL-Nikkor 50/2.8 but not by much.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titrisol70 wrote:
Fujinon enlarger lenses were very good, EX replaced the EP line

https://www.photocornucopia.com/1056.html

I only have a 50mm ES lens, and it's a step under the EL-Nikkor 50/2.8 but not by much.

That's quite an old thread to resurrect, but the newer Fujinon series lenses are certainly still relevant and highly capable lenses.

You can find a (hopefully full) list of all of those lenses on deltalenses as well:
https://deltalenses.com/?s=fujinon

I've started an article about the EFC line (strictly used in Frontier Minilabs) but have not gotten around yet to taking an in-depth look at the regular series of ELs from Fuji.

Coincidentally I just tried a number of spare EP lenses during the last couple of days however (90, 105 and 135 mm) because I want to sell them and wanted to make sure they're still fine beforehand. All of those (including the 75 mm EP which I'm going to keep) are pretty good still despite being rough looking samples (likely used in a minilab).

Here are a couple of shots:

Handearing by simple.joy, on Flickr

You can't squeeze light from a stone... by simple.joy, on Flickr

Drinks... how do you like em' boss? by simple.joy, on Flickr

EDIT:

...and a cross-view stereo:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1