Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Does anyone know about this lens? [Exaktar Auto 50mm f/1.7]
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:54 am    Post subject: Does anyone know about this lens? [Exaktar Auto 50mm f/1.7] Reply with quote

Hi,

First time posting here:)

I am having difficulty finding information about this lens.
The lens has a native M42 mount with an attached adapter for Exakta mount, which can be removed.
From my Google search, I gathered that this lens was likely made in Japan by Cosina for Exakta Twin TL.
During my search, I came across the Exaktar 55mm F1.4, 55mm F1.7, and 50mm F1.8 variations. However, besides a post from a Japanese blogger, a M42 mount lens database site (with limited information), and one Flickr user who uses this lens, I could not find any additional information about this variation.

At this point, I think the lack of information on the Internet is due to the fact that this lens is either very rare or not worth mentioning due to its abundance.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

Below are the links to the three sources where I was able to find information about this lens.
https://m42lens.com/m42-lens-database/1368-exaktar-auto-50mm-f-1-7-16
http://blog.livedoor.jp/toshioimawaka/archives/4720607.html
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lordakner/14219156571

Image of the Lens:

Last edited by MDPI on Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:22 am; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Does anyone know about this lens? [Exaktar Auto 50mm f/1 Reply with quote

MDPI wrote:
Hi,

First time posting here:)

. . . . .

Welcome, MDPI. Images aren't allowed in a member's first post, so I've quoted you to see your photo.

Other members will likely be able to help with your questions.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much!
I was trying so hard to show the images for past 30 min haha

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MDPI wrote:
Thank you so much!
I was trying so hard to show the images for past 30 min haha

You're welcome. I had a similar experience when I joined.

It often takes some time to get a reply here, but there's so much collective knowledge that I'm confident someone will be able to help with your lens.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first glance it appears to be a Cosina made lens just going off the font on the name ring. If you post more photos of the focus ring markings and the mount we can get a clearer idea. The Twin TL camera was made in two versions, the first version used the Exakta Real mount before the second version appeared with an M42 mount. The camera itself ws a version of Cosinas Hi-Lite camera, which was very similar to the Ricoh TLS. Following that some subsequent Exakta M42 mount cameras (TL-500, TL-1000, FE-2000) were made by Petri, these came with either a Sankor 55mm F/1.4 or a Petri 55mm F/1.8 or 1.7. Following that they moved to the popular Pentax K open mount with other models. There was also at one point a version of a late model Topcon camera (made by Cimko from memory) using their version of the original Exakta mount with the Topcon alterations.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply.

The lens I have look exactly same as the one in the m42 lens database site.

https://m42lens.com/m42-lens-database/1368-exaktar-auto-50mm-f-1-7-16

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats a very rare lens

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure that is a Cosina made lens akin to the Auto Cosinon 50mm F=1.7. One of the several rebranded Cosina made camera or store brands. You'll also find it as Porst.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex_d wrote:
thats a very rare lens

Really?😯 I guess I'm keeping this one😄

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
Pretty sure that is a Cosina made lens akin to the Auto Cosinon 50mm F=1.7. One of the several rebranded Cosina made camera or store brands. You'll also find it as Porst.

I see,👀 that's why the aperture ring of this lens had resemblance of vintage cosina standard lens.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex_d wrote:
thats a very rare lens

Its not unfortunately.

It's made by CHINON (Japan) which also had an agreement with Topcon (Japan) who got the rights to the "EXAKTA" name after Ihagee was sold in 1976. The lens you have was the standard lens for the EXAKTA HS-1 camera that came out in the late 70's. You have the earlier AUTO version which later was refreshed with a multicoating version. The same glass and construction was also used by Cosina and Rikenon for their 50/1.7 lenses from that time period.

George

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chinon never made lenses, just Cameras. They used third party for their lenses.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a source for this? I've seen this contention before, but I also have seen some Chinon lenses that AFAIK don't appear to have any twins except for known Chinon licensees (GAF, Revue, etc.) and Chinon-owned brands (Late period Alpa).

They were a sister-company and later a fully-owned subsidiary of Kodak, so they presumably had access to some excellent optical manufacturing.

D1N0 wrote:
Chinon never made lenses, just Cameras. They used third party for their lenses.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They worked with Cosina, Tamron, Tomioka, Sun Optics for zooms probably also Tokina.

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Chinon#35mm_Camera_Lenses

They did make lenses, but not for 35mm. For 8mm film and later Video.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Wiki link simply makes the unsourced statement that they worked with other manufacturers, not that they never manufactured any of their own. In fact, the only citation given on that page is a link to a post here by Pancolart that's just a list of lenses. Four of them are indicated to be Tomiokas. Of these, three have "Tomioka" on the name ring itself, so it's pretty clear that at least the optics were made on them in their earliest versions. As discussed in other threads here, the later iterations of the 1.4 may or may not have been sourced from Tomioka, and the attribution of the 55mm f/1.7 as a Tomioka is probably wrong.

The only other lenses in Pancolart's list that are securely identified by him as manufactured by someone else are the 17mm, 300mm, and 500mm which are twins of ubiquitous Tokinas. You can add onto this some of the tapered barrel ones that are twins to some Tamrons. AFAIK, there are one or two zooms securely identified as Cima/Cimko. That accounts for the manufacturers listed in the camera-wiki article, but leaves a whole bunch of lenses whose manufacturer is unaccounted-for, including several of their primes. I'm not familiar with the Sun stuff, but you yourself says it's restricted to zooms.

To me, then, there's hardly a basis to make such a blanket statement that they made no 35mm lenses and sounds a lot more like typical "internet wisdom" that's conjecture piled on conjecture. Lots of brands both built their own lenses and farmed out work to other manufacturers. Heck, Ricoh-Pentax still has Tamron and Tokina build some of their lenses.

I can't speak to who made the optics, but I can tell by first-hand having worked on many Chinon lenses that there are certain mechanical design characteristics, of several lenses, particularly in the aperture mechanism, that are absolutely 100% unique to the brand and its sub-brands/licensed rebadgers. I can also say that some of the optical designs, (e.g. their 45mm pancake and the Chinon/Alpa 55/1.7 macro) don't show up anywhere else except as Chinons or as Chinon-owned/sublicensed brands. Could their manufacture have been farmed out to other companies? Sure, I suppose, but any attribution is pure speculation.

I'm still unconvinced.

D1N0 wrote:
They worked with Cosina, Tamron, Tomioka, Sun Optics for zooms probably also Tokina.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not my job to convince you of anything so I will leave it here

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:

camera-wiki.org is not exactly a good source for camera history, not just in this case, but also in many others. I also have disassembled and compared Chinon branded lenses to other Japenese brands of that time (50mm and 55mm in particular) and have seen clear differences in construction, mechanics and even differences in the elements. Those particular lenses are not just rebranded Rikenon's or Tokina's in my opinion. There is a lot more information on that topic on German websites.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... source is not good but I have an anecdote and sources that are good but I will not bother to name them....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back on topic.
The lens is indeed a rebranded Cosina Cosinon 50mm f1.7 offered with the Exakta Twin 42 TL camera, thus the M42 version (there was an Exakta bayonet version too). The Exaktar 50mm f1.8 is an almost identical rebranded Cosinon. More on the Exakta Twin TL cameras here: https://mikeeckman.com/2021/11/ihagee-exakta-twin-tl-1970/
The camera itself is a modified Cosina Hi Lite. Do not mistake it for Chinon Chinonflex TTL or Ricoh Singlex TLS which are almost identical between them and really different from the Cosina. A hint for all trying to guess the provenience of a particular lens: look at the camera it was sold with.
As mentioned above, what identifies this lens as a Cosinon are also the aperture ring cutout that was present on all early Cosinon M42 lenses (and never on Chinons), and the simple metallic tab of the A-M switch.
The formula is 6 elements in 4 groups (Biotar-like), similar to the Helios-44 in its ability to produce bokeh swirls.

The lens is really abundant as a Cosinon, Porst and Carenar branded lens. The most handsome variant is probably the Cosinon "zebra".
One more thing: these lenses have a protruding rear element (and its metal tube) at infinity, so one must be careful when using them with a (D)SLR.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iso rivolta wrote:
Back on topic.
The lens is indeed a rebranded Cosina Cosinon 50mm f1.7 offered with the Exakta Twin 42 TL camera, thus the M42 version (there was an Exakta bayonet version too). The Exaktar 50mm f1.8 is an almost identical rebranded Cosinon. More on the Exakta Twin TL cameras here: https://mikeeckman.com/2021/11/ihagee-exakta-twin-tl-1970/
The camera itself is a modified Cosina Hi Lite. Do not mistake it for Chinon Chinonflex TTL or Ricoh Singlex TLS which are almost identical between them and really different from the Cosina. A hint for all trying to guess the provenience of a particular lens: look at the camera it was sold with.
As mentioned above, what identifies this lens as a Cosinon are also the aperture ring cutout that was present on all early Cosinon M42 lenses (and never on Chinons), and the simple metallic tab of the A-M switch.
The formula is 6 elements in 4 groups (Biotar-like), similar to the Helios-44 in its ability to produce bokeh swirls.

The lens is really abundant as a Cosinon, Porst and Carenar branded lens. The most handsome variant is probably the Cosinon "zebra".
One more thing: these lenses have a protruding rear element (and its metal tube) at infinity, so one must be careful when using them with a (D)SLR.

Ah ha,
So to summarize, this Exaktar 50mm f1.7 is rebranded version of Cosina Cosinon 50mm f1.7 due to characteristics of aperture ring cutout and M42 mount.

I just thought it was rare since I couldn't find an exact matching lens online. Rolling Eyes

Thanks for the information!

Last edited by MDPI on Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

georgegrant wrote:
alex_d wrote:
thats a very rare lens

Its not unfortunately.

thats still a very rare lens