Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

17mm lens: Canon FD or Tamron? Where to find Canon FD MTFs?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:03 pm    Post subject: 17mm lens: Canon FD or Tamron? Where to find Canon FD MTFs? Reply with quote

Hi all,
I have been looking with no success - is there anywhere to find MTF charts for Canon FD lenses? The joy that is pacificrimcamera.com/rl/rlrindex.htm has a few very early FL ones in brochures, but nothing later.
Being an FD enthusiast and curator of docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XHrXeijkKB_ULZxcgJK_v4iPBbxAfOuuo-VuP5ESDvA, it would be an ongoing desire.
But right now, specifically, I am looking for a way to decide between Canon's own 17mm f/4 and the also highly regarded Tamron 51B alternative (which is excellently documented here adaptall-2.com/lenses/51B.html)
Any ideas?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know nothing about the Canon lenses (never needed to) but I'm very pleased with my recently acquired Tamron 17mm, which is the earlier #51B with the built-in filters ... very useful for b&w film Wink

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both 51B with filters and 151B without filters. I tend to use the 151B more, due to concern about the "Normal" filter in the optical path degrading the image. As noted above the filters can be very useful for B&W film photography. On digital the filter may squeeze out a tiny bit more DR than a conversion, imho.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly I can't really answer your question since I have no experience with the Tamron 17mm lens (well, I used to own one around 1986, but that doesn't count ...).

The adaptall-2.com website is giving some information about a lens I know very well - the Minolta MD 4/17mm. Sadly adaptall-2.com wrongly states that the performance of the Minolta 4/17mm basically is the same from f4 to f22. This clearly is complete nonsense (in fact, its corner resolution / contrast increases dramatically when stopping down from f4 to f8 or f11).

I have tested the following lenses side-by-side on 24 MP FF cameras:

* Canon new FD 4/17mm
* Minolta MD-I 4/17mm
* Minolta MD-III 4/17mm
* Tokina RMC 3.5/17mm
* Zeiss CY 4/18mm

Canon, Minolta and Zeiss perform neraly identical (Minolta with slightly better contrast / colors than Zeiss & Canon, and Zeiss slightly better corners than Minolta & Canon, but it's only 18mm instead of 17mm!). Tokina corners are clearly inferior to the other three manufacturers.

S