Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mediaeval Market with two lenses... ;-)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Mediaeval Market with two lenses... ;-) Reply with quote

Today we went to a mediaeval market in Marburg, close to the castle. (Peter, you know this area!)

I have brought some gear (Leica, Tokina AF, Sigma AF), but only two lenses got used (and my new Yashica Electro 35GS!)

I had the Vivitar 2.0/24 on my EOS 40D and the Volna-3 2.8/80 on my EOS350D.
These two lenses offered enough opportunities, with a FoV of approx. a 35mm and a 135mm lens on 35mm format, I could shoot what I wanted.
I had my Leica 2.8/35 with me (which would have worked as a normal lens), but I did not need it.

Shots will follow in five parts...

(All pictures taken from: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lucispictor-photo/sets/72157606925751406/)

Last edited by LucisPictor on Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part I - Vivitar 2.0/24 on EOS 40D.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part II - Volna-3 on EOS 350D

Date tea

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part III - Volna-3 on EOS 350D

Rope maker

Last edited by LucisPictor on Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part IV - Volna-3 on EOS 350D

A "Büttel" = bailiff

Herald, musician and juggler

A merchant

Last edited by LucisPictor on Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part V -...

Last edited by LucisPictor on Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks your kids so much you! Smile Nice catch especially second one!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy What a fun day. Your kids are so Beautiful. You and your wife must be so proud. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful series Carsten, thankyou. I can't place exactly where this is from memory, so something for next time! I'm becoming very impressed with your shots with the Volna-3, for instance the one of the baskets. How would you say it compares to the Nikon 85? It would suit me a lot better as I could use it on all my cameras.

I love looking closely at these historic revival pics to see if I can pick out anything modern that shouldn't be there, like someone with a cigarette or a wristwatch Very Happy But I'm pleased to give all your shots a clean bill of health this time - not sure about the herald's spectacles though Smile

Your children are so beautiful.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nikkor 1.8/85 is a great lens, but I have to admit that I like the Volna-3 a little more at the moment. Embarassed (I don't really believe what I am writing here! I have always considered the Nikkor to be one of my best lenses. And it sill is!)

I guess, the Nikkor and the Volna are on about one level when it comes to image quality. The big advantage of the Volna is that only about the central 10% of the image circle are used by my crop cams, so that any deterioration that quite naturally can be seen towards the edge is completely cut off.
Perhaps the Nikkor can resolve a little higher and it surely is much more flare resistant than the Volna. (The Volna-3 has a real flare problem in certain situations - I guess a better hood would help a little. But the effect is controlable during RAW development.)

What I love about the Volna, is that the focus seem to "snap in". I am always pretty sure that the focus is correct. This lens is just fun to use.
Even more fun than the Nikkor, although this is a fascinating lens, too. And the Nikkor is more than one stop faster!

Last edited by LucisPictor on Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:51 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice pictures! I think to take two lenses only enhances creativity, and the choice of 35mm and 135 mm (equivalent) is just what I would do.

Gerd

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beautiful pics Carsten!
my favorites are of course the kids!
impressive medieval market, a dream for photographer and you succeed to bring back superb shots

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vivitar images are fine and with good color.

But then I saw the Volna-3 images! Sharp, right to the edges! Clean, pure color, with some kind of SNAP to them that makes them stand out beautifully. Wow! Yet ANOTHER lens I know almost nothing about, probably an underrated lens. Superb.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carsten -

Great series, and the kids are totally adorable. Thank God my kid days are over though (you do know God made them so cute that the parents wouldn't kill them, right?). Both lenses behaved extremely well - the Vivitar better than I would have expected even though I have a few that I love. The Volna is a real eye-opener. Is that a P6 mount? My Volna-6 comes out pretty often as I love its colours, but the 3 seems to be mighty sharp, with pleasing OOF as well.

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry but I usually don't pay attention to what the camera and lense was but instead just look at nice pictures and enjoy them.

You have a beautiful family.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the kids' pictures, and the Volna-3 shots are very impressive, too! Smile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like them all, thanks for sharing.

Can't go wrong when posting photos of your kids!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carsten those are absolutely lovely! As has been said, your children's shots are outstanding. I love your son's laughing.
We have the faires here also, in fact I attended, as far as I know, the first one in the US, 1967 in Los Angeles.

The K.P.F.K (A radio station in LA) Pleasure Faire. It was muddy, dark and pretty real with wenches a-plenty, wine, mead and great food. What great memories.

Jules

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for your kind words.

Yes, food and beverages on these markets are one of the reasons to go there. Wink
They offer "genuine" mediaeval meals.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots and the Volna-3 really impresses.

Oh and for a minute I thought you'd only carried two lenses and had to re-read it Wink

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice series and nice kids. Like the others, I like the ones with the Volna too.

A photojournalist once told me to just limit the number of lens that's in the bag. It teaches and forces you to look with a different creative perspective. When he is not on assignments with the big Canons, he only carries his Leica M3 with one or 2 lens to shot.

I guess what I am saying is, the pictures in this series exemplify what he told me. Nice job Carsten.