Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon EM Body with a MC Soligor Lens... To a Canon EF?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Nikon EM Body with a MC Soligor Lens... To a Canon EF? Reply with quote

Question is, what adapter would I look for so I can use this Wonderful lens?
MC Soligor c/d Zoom+Macro 35-140mm 1:3.8-5.3 62mm.

I used Kodak B&W Cn 400iso film and plan to do some Ilford shots later this week, but I really want to use it on my 20D.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the web (ebay) you can find an adapter for Nikon lens to Canon body - with chip (for focus confirmation).

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
On the web (ebay) you can find an adapter for Nikon lens to Canon body - with chip (for focus confirmation).

patrickh

So is there a specific Nikon mount I'm looking for, for this type of lens?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can mount this lens to your Nikon, it has a Nikon mount. Wink
So you need to find a Nikon-EOS-adapter (sometimes called Nikkor-EOS-adapter).
If used on an EOS, the type of Nikon-mount (F, AI, AIS) doesn't matter. They all can be adapted to EOS.

BTW, you are a lucky guy, since you have got a good copy of this lens. The copy I had was dreadful...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
If you can mount this lens to your Nikon, it has a Nikon mount. Wink
So you need to find a Nikon-EOS-adapter (sometimes called Nikkor-EOS-adapter).
If used on an EOS, the type of Nikon-mount (F, AI, AIS) doesn't matter. They all can be adapted to EOS.

BTW, you are a lucky guy, since you have got a good copy of this lens. The copy I had was dreadful...

Thank you!

And I found more information Smile

Lenses that will not work with full format film and digital cameras (e.g. 1D and 5D): Before mounting any lens to full format film or digital cameras you should check that no part of the lens protrudes behind the adapter bayonet else it may contact the camera reflex mirror causing lock up and possibly damage. Lenses known to have this problem include the Nikkors 6/5.6, 7.5/5.6, and 21/4, 105mm f/2.5 - 50mm f/1.4 - 28mm f/3.5. These lenses are okay to use with 22mm imaging chip Canon cameras (10d through to 450d) owing to the smaller reflex mirror size.

G series Nikkors may have no aperture control ring - so there is no way to control the f/stop.

This list is not represented as complete. If you find other Nikon mount lenses which will not mount safely on the EOS adapters, let me know and I will add to this list.

On a few EOS models (I have a film EOS 50 with this feature) the lens locking pin is is just long enough to impede the aperture setting ring on the lens. If your camera body has an unusually long lens locking pin you will need to half-depress the lens release button when setting wide aperture.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikon lenses have become a nightmare of incompatibility ... but if it will work on a Nikon EM you'll have no trouble with it on a Canon 20D with any Nikon-EOS adapter.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rick_oleson wrote:
Nikon lenses have become a nightmare of incompatibility ... but if it will work on a Nikon EM you'll have no trouble with it on a Canon 20D with any Nikon-EOS adapter.

By chance, do you know if the lens will have infinity on the Adapter?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razster wrote:
rick_oleson wrote:

By chance, do you know if the lens will have infinity on the Adapter?

Canon EOS 44.0 mm
Contarex 46.0 mm
Contax RTS 45.5 mm
Leica R 47.0 mm
Nikon 46.5 mm
Olympus OM 46.0 mm
Pentax K 45.5 mm
Pentax Screw (M42) 45.5 mm
Petri Bayonet 45.5 mm
Ricoh Bayonet 45.5 mm
T2 mount 55.0 mm
Yashica FR, FX 45.5 mm
----------------------------------------

Canon (FD and earlier) 42.0 mm
Fujica X Mount (bayonet) 43.5 mm
Konica F 40.5 mm
Minolta MD 43.5 mm
Miranda 41.5 mm

As you can see from the list you can have adapters for Canon EOS cameras and have infinity focus except the last series which have shorter register distance.

Those shorter register distance lenses are possible to mount with adapters with optics and have infinity focus but the glass in the adapters will affect the image quality and will act as a multiplier something like 1.2x or something.. Without glass you can focus just near.. or macro Smile

But if you want infinity focus for shorter register lens on EOS cameras
you need to take the mount away from the lens and put there EOS mount..
Maybe from some adapter you can take it and screw it to the lens...
This needs work and tools but is possible but I prefer to use those great lenses with shorter register distances like Nikon you are asking.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all so much, I will print out this information for later use and start building my list of lenses which are compatible to all to see.

My Minolta EOS Flange should be on the way - So I can start playing with that while I wait for my Nikon Adapter to show Wink

So excited... All of the money I spend could have bought 1 Canon 50mm L lens. Crazy!