Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon NON-AI lens convertion to AIS
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Nikon NON-AI lens convertion to AIS Reply with quote

Today I had a chance to test how to work converted Nikkor UD 20mm f3.5 AIS lens on NIKON FA. Seems converted lens just works fine, only difference I can't see right aperture value in finder, camera works fine with each mode (I use mostly aperture priority) Nikon FA is a wonderful camera I not really want to use any other Wink

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FA is real good camera. A few years ago I've found a new old stock FA in the box but seller wanted a fortune for it. It was black, even no finger prints were on it. Seller let me play with it for a while and I know it sounds silly but at that time I wished I could travel in time and go back to 80's even 60's to unbox a brand new F camera.

From AF generation f801s is a similar camera that make my heart beat even today. They are all very good cameras but apart from their bigger brothers/rivals (even exotic cameras like f2 titan etc) they have a design which is very appealing but also very obscure in the mean time. They are not eye catching but you can feel the quality of design and engineering.

Have fun with your FA.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I will Wink

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Nikon NON-AI lens convertion to AIS Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Today I had a chance to test how to work converted Nikkor UD 20mm f3.5 AIS lens on NIKON FA. Seems converted lens just works fine, only difference I can't see right aperture value in finder, camera works fine with each mode (I use mostly aperture priority) Nikon FA is a wonderful camera I not really want to use any other Wink

Could you post pictures of the converted lens mount?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many, many thanks Chris!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila
That is one lovely lens on a great body. Have fun with both

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few converted Nikkors and they are all fine. In fact I think in some cases I prefer the signature of the older lenses. Case in point. A few months back I bought on eBay a conversion kit (essentially the ring for the aperture setting) and miounted it on my 50mm f2. It has a lovely signature that produces very nice photos. Incidentally there are lots of sites with instructions on how to make the conversion and occasionally, to make matters even easier the conversion kits turn up on eBay.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh Oh! A double post Confused

Peter did you get an error when you tried to post your response?

Attila has been trying to fix this problem.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To make an AI conversion is quiet easy , but I had AIS also to use 100% of my NIKON FA modes. AIS is impossible at home.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maddog10 Yes I did get an error.